Suggestions for my My First Overdrive Pedal

What's Hot
asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
Hi All

I have been playing clean stuff for years and i think it time i tried some smooth overdrive 
sounds,nothing too heavy,Eagles sort of tone,maybe a bit of Knopfler.

Now i know that an overdriven valve amp is the best way to go  and i have tried the distortion
settings on my Blackstar ID30 but they are way to heavy for me.

It has to be a pedal as i D.I my guitar through the ID30.

So recommendations please,and remember i know nothing about the overdrive pedals.

Thanks

Alan

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    edited January 2014
    You really can't get a light overdrive with the amp? Turn the gain control right down to just above zero, that should get you there.

If you really want a pedal, the classic overdrive is the Ibanez Tube Screamer, but you can get essentially the same sound for far less - not least the Boss SD-1*, which is in the same ballpark (although not identical). There are a lot of Tube Screamer copies and near-derivatives at all price points from a few sets of strings up to more than your amp, too… but I would advise *not* spending money on whichever is this month's most-hyped example of the expensive ones until you have a much clearer idea of whether you want to go down this apparently never-ending route...

(*I have a nearly brand-new SD-1 for sale if you're interested ;). But seriously, work with the amp first. I'd be astonished if you couldn't get a good low-gain overdrive out of it.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Try the amp harder, the 6v6 or el84 setting should get you a nice sounding drive with the gain low, just compensate with volume.

But if you would like more, boss sd-1 is a great all arounder. The visual sound drivetrain is nearly the same as the slightly legendary but poorly built Reverend drivetrain and sounds great. The digitech bad monkey is a well priced od, too.

Lastly... Ehx have released a klon style drive. It's not a direct clone, but it's pretty clear where the inspiration came from. That's well priced, and might suit you nicely.

But I got some nice, barely overdriven - to - moderately overdriven sounds from the id amp I tried quite easily, I liked the el84 setting the most for it :)
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Bad monkey is a good cost effective place to start.

I still use mine on my rig as I love the thing.

It is basically a TS9 clone but...

It's got separate controls for the highs and lows which gives it a good range of tweakability/versatility.

• d8m;144454" said:
    Bad monkey is a good cost effective place to start.

I still use mine on my rig as I love the thing.

It is basically a TS9 clone but...

It's got separate controls for the highs and lows which gives it a good range of tweakability/versatility.

£25 on Amazon
    Interestingly, I always heard it was a ts clone, but apparently it's more closely based on something else.

But you're right, it's a great sounding pedal regardless of price.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    Digitech Hardwire Tube Overdrive. Superb pedal and very versatile.
  • For the money, I'd second the Bad Monkey. Or the Screamin' Blues for brighter, Fendery drive maybe.

My favourite for low gain drive, though, is the Award-Session JD10 Sessionmaster. Will do clean all the way up to mid-high gain, flexible eq and a speaker emulator switch as well. (The Digitech pedals above also have a speaker sim out)
  • asimmdasimmd Frets: 115
    Thanks for the replies Would a Boss BluesDriver BD2 be ok? Or are the ones mentioned better. Alan
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    Something OCD based might be worth a look.  Some good lower gain settings on the LP setting - much more amp like response than something TS based.

There are budget copies of the original OCD.  Joyo Ultimate Drive and Mooer Hustle Drive come to mind. 
  • The Danelectro Cool Cat transparent overdrives are cracking value. I've just got one for £18 off t'evil bay
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Joyo Sweet Baby. Nice responsive low(er) gain. 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    asimmd said:
    Thanks for the replies Would a Boss BluesDriver BD2 be ok? Or are the ones mentioned better. Alan
    Digitech Screaming Blues is essentially a Blues Driver but more wallet friendly(££££) if I remember correctly

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17588
    tFB Trader
    asimmd;144488" said:
    Thanks for the replies

Would a Boss BluesDriver BD2 be ok?

Or are the ones mentioned better.

Alan
    I think that would be a great choice. Boss pedals are well made and good value. You could also consider a bad monkey as others have said as they are dirt cheap and good .

As ICBM mentioned I'd be amazed if there weren't some good light drive sounds to be had in the id keep the gain low and push the mids a bit and maybe use one of the cleaner models

• PyromanPyroman Frets: 58
    asimmd said:

A Blues Driver will do lower gain stuff, but surprisingly enough, it has a lot of gain, and sounds pretty "rock-y" to my ear.  I love mine- it's just not what I expected out of a pedal called a BLUES Driver.

I, too use amps with digi/solid state preamps.  The BD2 works well with them.

I second the OCD recommendation- although I see no reason not to get a real one.  They aren't THAT expensive, esp compared with a lot of other high end stuff out there.  You can use it to add just a lil bit of drive- or a whole lot, and it sounds great.

Full Tone also makes the Full DriveII, which is a low gain TS-like pedal.  It's two pedals in one, a boost and a drive, and you can choose between two voicings as well.

For a left field choice, there is also the MXR Classic Distortion, '78 Distortion, and Prime Distortion.  Contrary to the name, these are more like hot rodded OD's than full on distortions.  Run into a clean amp, you need to push them really hard to get into what I would call distortion territory.  What they will do, is make your guitar sound "bigger", and add a lovely light crunch.  That's the best I can do to describe what they add to your sound.   They're very nice sounding pedals, and dirt cheap ( the Prime and Classic are about $40-50 at Guitar Center!).  The '78 never leaves my pedal board, and sees MUCH use.

To add to what the others are saying about your amp,  The clean channels can be pushed hard to get a nice light bluesy crunch.  The crunch channel way down low, will also do a nice mild drive.  I've only demoed this amp in a store, and watched every demo I could find, so YMMV.  Super Crunch, and OD 1 and 2, are voiced for hard rock and metal respectively, so none of them is going to give you the kind of tone you're looking for.  Also kudos to the suggestion of the 6V6 and EL-84 settings on the TVP.  Those are likely your best bet for getting "that" sound.
    Ok,I can borrow a Blues Driver,and I will try it tomorrow,Monday. As far as my Blackstar ID30,I can only use the Emulated Out,and not through the speaker. I like the clean sound I get but I didn't know I could "Tame" the overdrive channels using the Emulated Out. I will also try this tomorrow. Alan
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2348
    edited January 2014
    ICBM said:
    You really can't get a light overdrive with the amp? Turn the gain control right down to just above zero, that should get you there.

If you really want a pedal, the classic overdrive is the Ibanez Tube Screamer, but you can get essentially the same sound for far less - not least the Boss SD-1*, which is in the same ballpark (although not identical). There are a lot of Tube Screamer copies and near-derivatives at all price points from a few sets of strings up to more than your amp, too… but I would advise *not* spending money on whichever is this month's most-hyped example of the expensive ones until you have a much clearer idea of whether you want to go down this apparently never-ending route...

(*I have a nearly brand-new SD-1 for sale if you're interested ;). But seriously, work with the amp first. I'd be astonished if you couldn't get a good low-gain overdrive out of it.)
    +1

EDIT: yeah if you can borrow a pedal you might as well try that. the blues driver is a pretty decent pedal and worth a try for sure.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited January 2014
    Have no idea what music you like to play but one thing I am a total stickler for is NOT employing lots of FX. So you need to see how good a tone you can concoct with lesser gear as the adage is true that 90% of tone is in the fingers (and application). BUT they are some great tonal colourations to be had and I can wholeheartedly endorse that the V1 Dano Cool Cat Transparent Drive will make your gear offer up some lovely harmonics and gritty tones - good enough for all but disaffected blood drinking satanics

The best demo example is here:

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Ok,I can borrow a Blues Driver,and I will try it tomorrow,Monday. As far as my Blackstar ID30,I can only use the Emulated Out,and not through the speaker. I like the clean sound I get but I didn't know I could "Tame" the overdrive channels using the Emulated Out. I will also try this tomorrow. Alan
       Where, exactly is the emulated out in the circuit?   What I meant by taming the OD/crunch channel is far more old school- just roll off the gain and channel volume, and tweak the eq as needed.  I can't imagine any amp maker producing something that won't allow this.  The hue and cry of scorn and derision would be deafening.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1958
    The Dano Cool Cat Transparent OD (version 1) or Timmy OD or Lovepedal Amp 11 are all basically the same thing and all give great low gain OD tone. The Timmy is the original unit, the other two are basically clones of it....or pretty close to being clones.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24201
    I had forgotten about the Dano Transparent Overdrive!

The Mk1 is a clone of the Timmy and it's brilliant. superbly responsive.
    Well I tried the distortion using the amp as suggested but I didn't like it,too harsh. Then I tried the Boss Blues Driver and that was better,but not exactly what I wanted. It will do for now while I am getting to know overdrive playing. It will take a while to find a nice setting,especially as I have not tried it before. Alan