Any tips for a beginner

What's Hot
Recently started playing, I'm finding getting my fingers on the right frets pretty easy. But say if I am trying to only play  E, A and D I can't stop hitting G as well if I'm trying to do it at a normal pace. Are there any tips to help with this or just keep practising? 
Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    Notes? Chords? Strings? What are you trying to play, what are you hitting?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Slow down and practice deliberately.
    Most people rush in the initial stages- you wouldn't learn to ride a bike by trying to race it the first time.
    So it is with guitar.

If you cannot play it properly at, say 100bpm, then try it at 75bpm.
    Or 50bpm.
    Or play it one note at a time and build it up piece by piece, note by note.

Hit it little and often- playing for 15 minutes, twice a day, 6 days a week is infinitely better for your development than trying to cram for 3 hours on a Sunday evening.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you are starting out, then a good place to learn would be Justin Sandercoe's Website (JustinGuitar). He keeps things interesting and has a good structured course, plus it's free.

https://www.justinguitar.com/

Click the Beginners Course on the left of the page.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Quite a lot of playing the guitar is not playing the notes you don't want. This isn't necessarily complex but it isn't just a single technique either. I haven't done the Justin course but I've watched some of his videos and this is the kind of stuff he seems to explain in detail as he goes along in the context of what he is teaching, so wisdom to @Bellycaster
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Practise slowly with a metronome, and don't move on until you have learned, and can play each piece you're learning at the full speed.
    It will help to have a course to follow, whether a book, or download.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• close2u said:
    Notes? Chords? Strings? What are you trying to play, what are you hitting?
    Just some simple chords, I'm going to try and slow it down until I can play at a normal pace
  • octatonic said:
    Slow down and practice deliberately.
    Most people rush in the initial stages- you wouldn't learn to ride a bike by trying to race it the first time.
    So it is with guitar.

If you cannot play it properly at, say 100bpm, then try it at 75bpm.
    Or 50bpm.
    Or play it one note at a time and build it up piece by piece, note by note.

Hit it little and often- playing for 15 minutes, twice a day, 6 days a week is infinitely better for your development than trying to cram for 3 hours on a Sunday evening.
    Ok thanks, will try to start slow then speed up when I start getting better, I'm trying to fit in around 30-45 mins a day, so hopefully I'll have it soon.
  • If you are starting out, then a good place to learn would be Justin Sandercoe's Website (JustinGuitar). He keeps things interesting and has a good structured course, plus it's free.

https://www.justinguitar.com/

Click the Beginners Course on the left of the page.
    Thanks, will check it out
  • Take your time getting the basics nailed as it will be very useful in the future ;)

Don't try to cram too much in all at the same time either. Learning to play guitar, as with other musical instruments, is a lifetime pursuit :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BlackjackBlackjack Frets: 244
    Good luck and keep at it.  You will get there, if I can then anyone can! It feels like you are not getting anywhere at all then suddenly you realise that actually you are! Please feel free to message me if you want, I am a bit further on than you but still a beginner and happy to offer moral support! Good luck!! 
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    THIS THIS THIS (as already mentioned). https://www.justinguitar.com/en/BC-000-BeginnersCourse.php

• Blackjack said:
    Good luck and keep at it.  You will get there, if I can then anyone can! It feels like you are not getting anywhere at all then suddenly you realise that actually you are! Please feel free to message me if you want, I am a bit further on than you but still a beginner and happy to offer moral support! Good luck!! 
    Thank you, I can already see improvement from yesterday haha 
  • I like to keep 10 mins of a practice session (of about an hour) on barre chords and remembering the notes on the fretboard. 
  • Another thumbs up for Justinguitar - incredible resource for guitarists - learned a lot from his videos. He's a brilliant tutor
  • Also, I think it's best to learn on a well set up acoustic, in my case a beloved Taylor Big Baby which I still cherish.

Many reasons for saying this but mainly for developing finger strength and accuracy also you can play it anywhere without the hassle of plugging in and trying to find a good tone etc.....I've spent far too many days fiddling with presets instead of chords  ;)