Zoom G3 as a Headphone amp

What's Hot
clarky94clarky94 Frets: 6
I have a Engager Tweaker Head and cabinet which is great but I am looking for something i can plug my headphones into for late night practice - don't believe there is a way to plug my headphone into the tweaker.

It was suggested that i could use a Zoom G3 without an amp and still get the benefit of practicing with all the effects any one tried?  

I did try an Vox headphone amp but the sound quality was very disappointing and there was a lot or his and noice - i would really like something with a nice tone.

Any suggestions?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• The Zoom is fine with headphones. and has some really excellent sounds in it. The amp sims are remarkably good for the price. There's an option in the "Global" menu where you can change  the  "Output" option. If you're using it with headphones then you  need to set it to "DIRECT".  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • is it fussy about the type of headphones

• Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    I had one for exactly the same purpose, used sennheiser headphones on mine with no issues. 
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• It's great with headphones. Especially if you put the "Air" effects block at the end of your chain. This  adds stereo ambience and makes it feel less "headphoney". 

• yes its great for headphone practise, it has a simple drum machine if you want as well and a looper. you can also jam along with mp3 or youtube by connecting a pc via the usb port.
  • I had a Zoom G3 for silent practice with headphones and found it to be excellent. I've since upgraded to the G5n which is even better.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Zoom make great units, I have several and would recommend them over Boss, Digitech etc.  
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2477
    I bought a G1on (because I'm a tight Yorkshireman) and it's perfect for exactly this. Also I figured as it'll never leave the house the Fisher Price styling would be ok :)
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • FX_Munkee said:
    I bought a G1on (because I'm a tight Yorkshireman) and it's perfect for exactly this. Also I figured as it'll never leave the house the Fisher Price styling would be ok :)
    +1 for this zoom.

i keep my G1on at work for lunchtime jamming : works great with headphones and has drum machine, 30sec looper and an aux in.

• I have a G3 for home use. It sounds surprisingly good through headphones or recorded direct.
    It's also pretty sturdy. I'd have no worries about using it live if I had to.
  • G3 is the best bit of kit ive bought. I use it for practicing , looper, and jamming along with tracks and i use it live , its replaced my pedal board (although i only used 3 pedals), keep meaning to buy another one as spare.
  • what headphones work will with the G3 - and what the best way to turn it up and down if its too loud - had anyone used it in the effects loop or do you use if in like with the guitar cable 
  • clarky94 said:
    what headphones work will with the G3 - and what the best way to turn it up and down if its too loud - had anyone used it in the effects loop or do you use if in like with the guitar cable 

I have the G5 and found that any Headphones with a decent low end and mid range will work well, make sure you change the mode to Combo Front though, or it will sound shrill. 

In terms of volume I have the expression pedal set to control the level of the Spring Reverb at the end of the chain, every pedal has a level control between 0 and 150 so you can use that. Although you won't have the expression pedal on the G3 but turning the dial isn't too much work. 

I think there is also a global level control aswell. 
  • In terms of volume, there is a setting in the GLOBAL menu for output level.