Sigma guitars?

What's Hot
GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
edited January 2014 in Acoustics
What is the general consensus on Sigma?  I might like to pick one up soon, and then eventually a Martin (but not for a while yet :p)

I understand there is some association with Martin?

"Nobody is really researching robot jokes"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dhjdhj Frets: 21
    I have a 000MC-15E and it's a great guitar. I moved from electric and was looking for something that was not too big, very playable and din't cost an arm and a leg. The Sigma fitted the bill perfectly. If I have a complaint then I would say it does sound very toppy when strummed alongside my mates Taylor (don't know the model) but it is smaller. I tend to strum with my nails/fingers and it isn't very loud when you do this but as I say, I find it very toppy when strummed with a pick. I'm not a fingerstyle player but it does lend itself to that sort of playing (I find myself partially playing with fingers quite a lot). As always, go and have a go, you may be presently surprised.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    dhj said:
    I have a 000MC-15E and it's a great guitar. I moved from electric and was looking for something that was not too big, very playable and din't cost an arm and a leg. The Sigma fitted the bill perfectly. If I have a complaint then I would say it does sound very toppy when strummed alongside my mates Taylor (don't know the model) but it is smaller. I tend to strum with my nails/fingers and it isn't very loud when you do this but as I say, I find it very toppy when strummed with a pick. I'm not a fingerstyle player but it does lend itself to that sort of playing (I find myself partially playing with fingers quite a lot). As always, go and have a go, you may be presently surprised.
    Great thanks for that, they seem perfect for me!

• I am not sure if there is any link with Martin at all now, there was but Sigma name was bought recently and restarted by another company. I love my old Sigma DR28H which I have had since new, 25 years ago.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9593
    Sigma had an association with Martin in the 70s/80s (bit like Fender/Squier or Gibson/Epiphone now) but that came to an end. This Sigma is just a name resurrected by a German company, but the guitars they make take all their cues from Martins (the model names will tell you). The reviews I've seen have been pretty positive, I wouldn't hesitate to try one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a new one and they're an absolute bargain!
  • Bloody good - have both the martin 00015m and the sigma version. Sigma not quite the same quality levels, but at that price a ridiculously good buy. 
  • They're superb! I was very tempted by the S000M-15. The main thing that put me off was the electronics - having to lossen the strings every time you need to change the battery. Not an easy thing to do mid set. But they do sound awesome.
  • GIJoeGIJoe Frets: 213
    They're superb! I was very tempted by the S000M-15. The main thing that put me off was the electronics - having to lossen the strings every time you need to change the battery. Not an easy thing to do mid set. But they do sound awesome.
    oh Man I have to get one!

The battery thing does not bother me...If it's good enough for Lowden!

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6099
    Not seen a duff review of one yet  ..but no doubt someone round here will point me to one!  ;)
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • equalsql said:
    Not seen a duff review of one yet  ..but no doubt someone round here will point me to one!  ;)
    There ain't any. Universally loved!