Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

You're not going to believe this.. but it's true.. all of it.

What's Hot
A couple of months ago I sent my red Vauxhall Zafira into my local dealer for the heater recall correction. In the boot was a fold up bike rack. I dropped the car off in the morning.. and collected it after work.

The next morning I noticed the absence of the bike rack and immediately called the garage who denied any knowledge of the item. I then insisted to speak with the manager due to the impasse. The manager was on leave for a week, so on his return I called him up and explained the situation. He said he would check CCTV asap, a week later I was informed the CCTV access was restricted and there was hold up.

Nearly another week had passed I was still seemingly no nearer to a resolution, I had begun to source a replacement at my own cost. After a couple of days scouring ebay and gumtree a listing appeared in a neighbouring borough. I contacted the seller and we agreed to a fee; the following day I set off to pay and collect the item.

On the model of the bike rack there are attaching hooks on my bike rack that I had taped off in red insulation tape to avoid scratching the car. As I left to collect the replacement rack I jested to my wife that it would be funny if it was my missing bike rack identificable by said tape modifications.

I met the seller, an elderly gentlemen at his very nice detached residence, who presented the item to me. Low and behold, it had red insulation tape on the hooks...

What would you do????

I actually rationalised to myself that I was prepared to buy a bike rack regardless of its origins and paid the man. I did ask a few questions about the history of the item, reason for the tape, and the vendor's occupation. I also recanted my experience with garage, but the guy didn't flinch. I paid the man and left with a bike rack.

I sat in my car in shock, and called my wife to inform her of such.

The next day I called the police with and opening gambit of "You're not going to believe this.. but it's true.. all of it.". They did, and did what checks they could do, took a statement, but as it's all circumstantial there was little follow up. The vendor apparantly is an avid car-booter and also suffers mild dimentia according to his wife, so that was a dead end. Heard nothing about the garage and absent CCTV.

Morale of the story?? never leave anything of value in a car unattended, especiallly where unknown people have been granted unsupervised access.

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    When I worked in a dealership there was a customers car which went to the valet.
    It came back minus some change and a couple of CD's.

The valet was gotten rid of very quickly.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Write that to your local paper, and include the name of the garage
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Doesn't sound bloody circumstantial!! Someone at the garage clearly nicking stuff and old geezer guilty of handling stolen goods whether he's in on it or not. 

Hope it didn't cost you much to get it back.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Or indeed just send it to the regional Vauxhall office or similar.
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    Write that to your local paper, and include the name of the garage
    I'd be fearful of accusations of libel due to the circumstantial nature..
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• I felt it worthwhile informing the police so the incident was logged against the dealership, should any repetition occur.
    My trading feedback

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Its amazing that some people would risk losing their jobs, for the sake of nicking some change or some cd's.

obviously due to Brexit.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    DAMN, I thought you were going to say that when you turned up to buy it that the seller was the Service dept Manager !
     Don't waste your time ,angst or breath going to the police -they are not interested especially because there is no money in it for them or anybody to fine.............
    But they could buy some more Tasers for ignorant automatons to assault old Black Gentlemen with who they can lie about 'trying to assault them ' .......thank God for local neighbours and camera video.......
     That footage was something I really can't believe...............absolutely shameful and despicable
    Those 2 police officers should be charged with assault using a deadly weapon......pure common assault !
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

He said he would check CCTV asap, a week later I was informed the CCTV access was restricted and there was hold up.

I'm disgusted if the police know about this but haven't used it. Surely if they know about it they can put the screws on to force access to the CCTV...
  • jellyrolljellyroll Frets: 3073

That is unbelievable.......Vauxhall Zafiras have heaters?

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    In much earlier years I worked for a Ford dealer oop North and had a Ford Focus Ghia traded in against an XR3i.........in the Focus coin tray was more than a good weekend's worth of condoms. This left me thinking could I call the feller (what if his wife answered etc etc) and express what I had found.

I decided to see if he would come to claim them...........and I filed them under "Customer's Letters".............. :)   

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    Speak to the manager at the garage again. He needs to know that there's a thief on his team. If he doesn't respond then escalate the problem to his head office on the basis that there is managerial collusion and/or failure to respond to a customer complaint.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    This is what review sites are for.

Chances are the garage has entries on google and the Yellow Pages where you can post an account which will be impervious to accusations of libel if you stick to the facts and let the reader draw the conclusions.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    Roland said:
    Speak to the manager at the garage again. He needs to know that there's a thief on his team. If he doesn't respond then escalate the problem to his head office on the basis that there is managerial collusion and/or failure to respond to a customer complaint.
    It's quite likely the manager knows already if he gave the CCTV story. Or is the thief himself.

Some time ago I was in a Cash Convertor shop buying a computer game for one of my kids - while I was waiting to pay, with a tenner which I had taken out and put on the counter in front of me, something distracted me and I turned round. When I turned back the tenner had vanished. The shop person denied all knowledge of it, so I asked for the manager who said I was making it up. I asked him to look at the CCTV, since there is a camera on the counter at all times. He also said that "access was restricted" and it couldn't be looked at without the police present. From his attitude, I realised he was in on it and I gave up - you can guarantee that if I'd called the police, by the time they arrived (possibly hours later, for a non-urgent case like that - and I didn't have time for that) the CCTV would mysteriously have become faulty or something.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited January 2017
    burn the cunts down  :p

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Im not sure the type of guy to burn down a garage, would own a Vauxhall Zafira...or a bike rack.

Although it is red...the colour of fucking rage!!!!!

grrrrr!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    ICBM said:
    Roland said:
    It's quite likely the manager knows already if he gave the CCTV story. Or is the thief himself.
    Quite possibly he is involved, and has wiped the relevant evidence. Hence escalation to head office.
    mixolyd said:
    This is what review sites are for.
    Which is what ought to persuade head office to do something about it. They can write off a single complaint at customer error or grudge. These things build if there's more than one incident.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10266
    Im not sure the type of guy to burn down a garage, 
    Zafiras do a pretty good job of that themselves,don't they?
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    The demented man may have just wondered into the garage and removed the rack himself.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3044
    edited January 2017
    We've recently had a load of thefts from cars in our area so I never leave anything of value in the car, even getting the car cleaned I take it all out just in case. Though I have just remembered I've left my Ray Bans in the car, fuck sake