Shocked at the Fender bass prices in Dublin

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4974
Wandered into a few music shops in Dublin last Saturday and had a look at some of the basses on offer.  Prices are steep, Fender especially.  From around €1400 to over €2200.  And Squier are not 'cheap' either, one was priced at €485 IMSMR.  I got my Aria STB for a lot less than the Squier.  OK it was second hand but none of the basses I tried showed up any major flaws in the Aria.  Possibly when plugged in the difference would be apparent but using the 'in your hands' feeling measure, the Fenders were no better than my bass.  As far as I could tell, the basses were more expensive than the guitars everywhere......
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24161
    Fender prices have gone up massively. A US standard Jazz was about £1200, now they are £1650 ish.

Basses have always been more than the guitars. More wood = higher price.
  • Yeah massive price hikes recently.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72203

Basses have always been more than the guitars. More wood = higher price.
    :)

I can't imagine the amount of wood is a serious factor really, it's not one of the major costs in a Fender-type instrument if even important at all.

Basses do always seem more expensive than similar quality guitars though, and I've often thought it's because bassists tend to be more conservative and buy fewer of them, and less often - as well as there being fewer bassists than guitarists - so the companies simply need to make a bigger profit on each one to get the same returns.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Arent guitars generally more expensive over there? Everytime I list a guitar on gumtree, I get so many messages from Ireland offering more than my asking price plus shipping as its still cheaper than over there....