Tone Report bollocks

What's Hot
robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
Why do people write bollocks about things they don't understand? [1]
Copyrighted in 2001, the AMZ MOSFET Booster beats the pants off almost any booster on the market with minimal parts. Unlike most pedals of its time, it uses a Zener diode, which isn’t found in almost any other pedal even to this day. Whether or not that diode contains all the proverbial magic isn’t exactly the point, but rather that innovation led to the MOSFET booster, and the result is a low-parts-count monster of a boost.
The zener is only used as protection for the MOSFET.  Jack Orman even tells you this in his article [2]:
A zener diode is connected from the transistor's gate to source in order to protect it from static charges or over-voltage inputs. If the transistor chosen has an internal zener protection, D1 could be deleted.
This is the sort of crap that gets passed on and spread around by people who read things like Tone Report and lap up everything they say.

Bloody ridiculous.

R.

[1] http://tonereport.com/blogs/do-it-yourself/a-boost-you-cant-refuse-build-your-own-jack-orman-mosfet-booster
[2] http://www.muzique.com/schem/mosfet.htm
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1373
    Wisdom for the tone debunker!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I thought we all took it for granted that all those tone report things were full of bollocks and marketing hype.
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    Sassafras said:
    I thought we all took it for granted that all those tone report things were full of bollocks and marketing hype.
    Yeah, but I generally avoid it and had forgotten what a load of tosh it is.

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6125
    tFB Trader
    I think that falls under the category "alternative facts"
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've got loads of Zener diodes if he want to buy them at boutique prices.  ;)
  • I think I've used a Zener diode in nearly every pedal I've built. I must be a pioneer!
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    Zener Diodes. Amazing.
    You will be telling me that they use resisters in their pedals next - now that would give your setup some mojo!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2350
    I've lost count of the amount of crap posted in the tone report (or in those info blog posts on pro guitar shop's site).

That'd be bad enough but (especially in the case of the pro guitar shop ones) they normally claim there's a lot of BS posted about this type of stuff and they're trying to bust the myths. :s
  • Am I right in thinking that some early Suhr Riots used Zeners as clipping diodes? I'm sure I read that somewhere.......
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7333
    if you followed their lead and bought every pedal they exclaimed you'd be bankrupt...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>