Cubase, Macs, PCs and keyboards - and an apology

I'm a long time Cubase user, since the Atari days in fact, so I am quite fast navigating it and use a lot of keyboard commands. I've been using it on the PC since then. I was thinking of doing some live Electronic stuff so got a wee Windows laptop which was so useless it couldn't play a wav file without glitching. So then I thought I'll go with a Mac Book Pro and all my problems will be solved. Got a decent price on a mid 2012 I5 MBP, all fine and dandy. Many things about the MBP are awesome, and it plays back audio great even on the onboard sound. However, I really miss the keypad for markers in Cubase eg on the PC, <control> and <numberpad 3> sets locater 3; thereafter you press numberpad 3 to er locate there.This is by default on the PC and I've been doing it so long it's second nature to me. So then I thought use a wireless keyboard with a keypad. I finally got this working as it should (with some assistance from the Off Topic chaps)
So then I tried using it to set markers in Cubase - in the Keyboard Commands pane the "set marker" command is given as <shift> <numberpad number> but it doesn't bloody work! I can use the numberpad for other useful functions such as * for record, / for toggle cycle etc and locate to the L and R markers, but I can't set new markers!

As you might be able to tell, this is doing my head in. 

The apology bit is directed at a forum user (who's name I have unfortunately forgotten) with whom I had a discussion about Key Commands, in my pre-Mac days, and he was somewhat bemused when my suggestions didn't work! Now I know why...

The shift key works fine in other programmes, so it's not the keyboard at fault. I might have to submit a support request to Steiny.

It's such a small thing but I feel it really detracts from my workflow, and I feel that I have spent an inordinate amount of time on it!

And breathe...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I'm a big time Cubase user - I think there is a solution. Head over to the Steinberg forums - there are some very clever people who can help you. You'll get an answer very quickly.

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=202

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • wave100wave100 Frets: 150
    Well I ended up getting the outrageously expensive Apple wired keyboard - it is a nice keyboard but seriously, 50 squid! Anyway, it works as expected so that's a good thing... the problem with the PC keyboard was the lack of a Command key making the key commands not work.