Capo woes

I have been playing along with Marillion songs lately, and a lot of the stuff requires capos. I have a few including a Kyser which was my latest purchase.

My problem is string bends, the string doesn't return to its natural resting position, suggesting the capo isn't tight enough??

Typically when capo'd at the 2nd fret, a 5th fret semi-tone bend results in the string being out of line.

Should I buy a G7? Is this normal behaviour??

Help??

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    I've never used a capo and have always assumed that most capo music doesn't involve bends, but if the strings are returning to a sharp position, perhaps stretch them all first then tune down till they're in tune? 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72313
    It's very difficult to get it to work with big bends. Just for once I would say the Kyser isn't the best for this - even if you fit it in the proper place right behind the fret crown, I doubt it will produce enough force to stop the string moving - although a semi-tone bend is fairly small, I think I do that and get away with it.

If putting it there doesn't work, you probably want a Shubb or a G7th (original) fitted actually on the fret crown itself and done up really tight. The downside is that this might mark the frets.

I apologise if I was part of the decision to buy a Kyser… :(

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein