El Capistan woes again

What's Hot
lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3325
Power supplies this time. It's whistling with my new pedal train volto which throws out more than enough mA. I seriously hate this delay. Sounds ok. It by god it's fussy. 
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I sense an 'FS' post soon, but no clue what to try next as I've had everything already 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    Bizzare, ive never had a problem with mine at all ran that off a voodoo labs and a now using the truetone 1 spot power brick silent as anything
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Have you tried the Tech 21 Boost DLA? It's bloody lovely! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Is there something else on the power chain with it? Something it doesn't like sharing with mebbe.
  • No isolated from the volto 
  • Never once had a problem with mine. Have you tried its own dedicated wall supply? It kinda needs to be fully isolated - as would be the same with any digital pedal - but you mention you've got that covered (I need to read up on the Volto)
  • Had a look - I don't think the Volto is isolated mate. Just one supply split several ways. You can get an 'isolator' from Gigrig or else a proper isolated supply from Cioks or a Pedal Power. I use a Carl Martin Pro Power, pretty sure it's made by cioks though. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Just to add insult to injury, I run mine off a daisy chain from a Mooer Diago-type knock-off without any noise issue. There are about another ten or so pedals running from the same PSU 
  • Yea needs to be isolated otherwise you will run into issues with noise sadly 
    Here is my Trader Feedback Page - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/62051/
  • Ive had enough of it tbh, just reading up on what to try next. I do need tap tempo, which limits me somewhat. Im just over  Line 6 
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Does the amp you are using make any difference? 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    edited January 2017
    Yea needs to be isolated otherwise you will run into issues with noise sadly 
    No. Mine is completely noise-free. My EH Hazerai won't run cleanly from a daisy chain though.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Strymons don't like to be daisy-chained. I had the same problem with both a Lex and an El Cap. 

Either use it on its own wall wart (I don't recall if they come with one in the box?) or isolate it using a GigRig Timelord (I don't think a single output from a Gigrig Isolator has enough current, hence the Timelord)
    Red ones are better. 
  • Right so I've been through the whole board testing all connections and it basically doesn't like anything else being connected to the other power out on the volto. So my options are 1, use a wall wart just for the strymon, pointless really. 2, get another volto just for the strymon or 3, sell the el Capistan. Or 4 the gig rig isolator (which I've never heard of until above. Help! 
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    Go for the gigrig thing.. it should sort your problem and if not just return it. The El Cap is def a lovely sounding pedal
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7412
    Right so I've been through the whole board testing all connections and it basically doesn't like anything else being connected to the other power out on the volto. So my options are 1, use a wall wart just for the strymon, pointless really. 2, get another volto just for the strymon or 3, sell the el Capistan. Or 4 the gig rig isolator (which I've never heard of until above. Help! 
    The 'Isolator' doesn't have enough current on a single output. You need a Timelord.
    Red ones are better. 
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12361
    I've got mine running off a Carl Martin power supply and it's completely quiet. 
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Run mine off a Voodoo Labs Digital with some other Strymon pedals - works fine. No noise.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • I've been through a few delays and eventually ended up with a humble Marshall Echohead which has been on my board for years. Sounds really nice and does spillover.
  • TimmyO said:
    Right so I've been through the whole board testing all connections and it basically doesn't like anything else being connected to the other power out on the volto. So my options are 1, use a wall wart just for the strymon, pointless really. 2, get another volto just for the strymon or 3, sell the el Capistan. Or 4 the gig rig isolator (which I've never heard of until above. Help! 
    The 'Isolator' doesn't have enough current on a single output. You need a Timelord.

I got the impression the isolator was just an add-on to the actual PSU, so will supply whatever current the PSU you're using puts out. If the Volto has the juice I wouldn't expect it to be a problem.

Or am I missing something? 

FWIW, Diago also make a ground isolator adaptor they reckon is compatible with the El Cap.

http://www.diago.co.uk/adaptors/isolator.html

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.