What 2x12 extension cab?

What's Hot
ricorico Frets: 1220
Considering a 2x12 for my DSL401, any recommendations? 

I've read that the 1922 and 1936 cabs are MDF and are to be avoided...are they that bad?

cheers!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I didn't like the 1936 I had I found it a bit woofy, plus it weighed a ton and for the size there is not much advantage space wise to a regular 4x12
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72211
    The current 1936 is ply, but most older ones are MDF. All 1922s are MDF apart from some rare early ones as far as I know, although I haven't seen a very recent one.

The Harley Benton G212V is unbeatable for quality at the price - all-ply, two V30s and sells new for less than a lot of people ask for the Marshalls second hand... barely more than the cost of the speakers.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    Thanks @ICBM & @professorben ;

Where is the best place to obtain a Harley Benton 2x12?
  • I think the only place new is Thomann https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think the only place new is Thomann https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
    Yes.

You can pick them up second hand for around £100 to £120 too, but make sure no-one has stolen the speakers! Or at least, replaced them with something equally good, if you don't like V30s. It's actually cheaper to buy a second hand one and take the speakers out than buy a pair of new V30s...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

That seems like a remarkable deal. How can they be so cheap?!
    rico said:
    That seems like a remarkable deal. How can they be so cheap?!
    Because they're made in China - probably right next to the Celestion factory! ... although it probably doesn't make a lot of difference - and supplied directly to Thomann with no middleman. Harley Benton is their in-house brand.

To be fair, the finishing isn't always absolutely top-notch - the last one I saw had a couple of small gaps in the vinyl on the back seams - but more than good enough for the price and the quality of the box itself.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    A bit more expensive than the HB but I have a Tube Town British 2x12 that I really like, the shell cost about £150 shipped from Germany ( www.tube-town.de I think). Made really well but I wish it had side handles as just 1 top handle is a bit of a pain to carry. It's a bit narrower than a normal cab which was part of the attraction, it's a nice compact package. Has a removable back on latches which is really useful - I always leave it on at home and take if off for practice and gigs.
  • ICBM said:
    I think the only place new is Thomann https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_g212_vintage.htm
    Yes.

You can pick them up second hand for around £100 to £120 too, but make sure no-one has stolen the speakers! Or at least, replaced them with something equally good, if you don't like V30s. It's actually cheaper to buy a second hand one and take the speakers out than buy a pair of new V30s...

Also worth knowing that there's a cheaper version of the same cab with generic speakers in it that probably aren't as good.

The G212 vintage has V30s (current production ones have a little Celestion badge on the front), the regular G212 has Harley Benton branded speakers. Make sure you know what you're getting if you buy used.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited January 2017
    I have a Jet City 2x12 I'm not needing which has the Eminance speakers in, it's a great little cab, and not much moolah either. 
    Pm me. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    I've the option of a used 1936 cab with castors or a new Harley Benton vintage 2x12. They are both around £200. What would you go for?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33780
    Get a Zilla empty cab and put some nice speakers in it- creambacks, G12-65's or V30's.
    rico said:
    I've the option of a used 1936 cab with castors or a new Harley Benton vintage 2x12. They are both around £200. What would you go for?
    The Harley Benton. It's a better cab.

The only reason to go for the Marshall is if you have a Marshall head and you just must have the matching look.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4720
    edited January 2017
    Only because I have one as part of another rig, I put my DSL401 through my Vox AD212 cab.  Well made, batic Birch marine ply construction, fitted with 2 of what Vox called 'Neodogs'.  These are an 80w version of the Celestion G12 Century Vintage 'Neodymium' speakers. Tonally, these aren't unlike Greenbacks albeit with a little more top-end.

It sounded superb, big, full, punchy, articulate, and a world apart from the stock 1x12 Gold label speaker - got rid of the DSL401 'fuzz/mud' and I thought I was playing through a different amp!  And my goodness was it loud! 

I know that not everyone likes Neodymium speakers, and whether you prefer open or closed back is down to personal preference, but the AD212 seemed to suit the DSL401 very well, and of course the 'Neodogs' are much lighter than for example 2 Vintage 30's!!  The cab weight is I think 43lbs, and it has a recessed top handle (not shown in Vox Showroom pic for some reason), so it's a very manageable weight to carry.  A nice feature is that the front grill flips open, which makes miking up easier. 

I'm sure other cabs/speaker combinations will sound great too, but this cab seems to have a trail of 5 star reviews from users with Marshall's and Mesa's - whether you can find one used is another question though (as its no longer made).  As always it's all down to personal taste & budget - but thought I'd just feed back my experience with the one 2x12 cab I have.  

http://www.voxshowroom.com/uk/amp/ad212.html

Image result for Vox AD212
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    I have a vox nt 2x12 which has 2 celestion g1230h speakers. I got it for 170 as end of line. Little bit small but otherwise can't fault it.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2346
    ICBM said:
    Yes.

Also worth knowing that there's a cheaper version of the same cab with generic speakers in it that probably aren't as good.

The G212 vintage has V30s (current production ones have a little Celestion badge on the front), the regular G212 has Harley Benton branded speakers. Make sure you know what you're getting if you buy used.
    yeah they aren't great. I got one since I already had the speakers I was going to swap into it (plus I figured I'd never get round to selling the V30s).
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I suspect I know the answer but what are the Bugera 2x12 cabs like?     Seen a cheap one locally and even if the cab itself is rubbish the speakers could go in something else.  
    John_P said:
    I suspect I know the answer but what are the Bugera 2x12 cabs like?     Seen a cheap one locally and even if the cab itself is rubbish the speakers could go in something else.  
    Going by this it looks like an MDF cabinet with own-brand speakers that are probably rebadged (and re-painted!) Jensen Mod 70s.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/zakkwyldefan79/Bugera/Bugera212Speakers02.jpg

That would make sense, since a Behringer amp I worked on a couple of years back was fitted with standard Mod 70s as stock and they're the same company.

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    ICBM said:
    John_P said:
    Going by this it looks like an MDF cabinet with own-brand speakers that are probably rebadged (and re-painted!) Jensen Mod 70s.

http://i479.photobucket.com/albums/rr151/zakkwyldefan79/Bugera/Bugera212Speakers02.jpg

That would make sense, since a Behringer amp I worked on a couple of years back was fitted with standard Mod 70s as stock and they're the same company.
    Thanks - that's interesting - probdbly better than I expected.  
    I've not used the mod 70s before but they don't get bad reviews - is there a celestion model that sounds similar?
    John_P said:

I've not used the mod 70s before but they don't get bad reviews - is there a celestion model that sounds similar?
    Not really - Jensens have a very different voicing from any Celestion, much brighter and with more ragged overtones when pushed hard, which can either be a good thing or a bad thing depending on what you want.

The Mod 70 is among the tighter and more conventional-sounding ones though.