Effects in general

What's Hot
fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
Effects, eh? I may be gradually coming to the conclusion that they're not for me, at least not for my current circumstances. Sure, they sound good, have lots of knobs to twiddle, but I am a non-recording fairly mediocre bedroom player and I just don't seem to get that much satisfaction out of them. I spend too long playing with them and not playing guitar. I love the idea of them though. I'm mostly talking about modulation and delay, I still like an overdrive from time to time but could probably leave that too.

I've even contemplated selling everything and buying a nice acoustic.
Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
My feedback thread is here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Put all your effects away, under your bed, back of the wardrobe, something like that. If you don't feel the urge to take them out over a period of, say, 3 or 6 months then get rid.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited January 2017
    Too late! They're already for sale! Seriously I may be tempted to buy something else down the line, possibly something LESS flexible, e.g. a tape echo type delay instead of a multi-delay.

But I get a lot of enjoyment over the sound of a nice guitar played through a nice amp, so I imagine anything I add to that wouldn't mess around too much with the basic sound.
    It's OK, I can play the banjo!
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
    I'm not very good with effects and at home I'm just likely to make silly noises with them for 5 minutes. On a gig I don't worry about them too much but I like to be able to have a different sound for a few numbers because a) I can b) it's a bit fatiguing to have the same sound for 90 minutes c) because drums, bass and vocals don't change much ( okay we have a keyboardist but she has about 4 core sounds) I feel it's almost my job to make some slightly different noises. But for home use I'd live without them by and large. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • If I was playing at home with my FX I would explore way more sounds than I do live. I'm more worried about getting from one song to the next without undue delay (pardon the pun) which would spoil the vibe (pardon the pun) than anything else. Plus I have enough switching to do anyway with boosts, OD etc, that I have to be careful not to overcomplicate things, especially as I am trying to sing at the same time.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4027
    edited January 2017
    Similar story for me as EricTheWeary. 
    At home I only want two sounds:  clean and crunch.
    The only FX I use and the only one I'd miss is a bit of delay.
    My home set up has been simple for years:  just a SS "make louder box" and an old Digitech GNX3000 floor unit.  99% of everything I play is just on the one patch which does clean/crunch +/- echo.

Live is different for exactly the reason that one guitar sound for over 90minutes is boring so FX provide a few sonic spices. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    edited January 2017
    I'm totally with you.

Guitar and amp, that's me...

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

20reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Spending time messing with pedals and sounds is only a problem if it bothers you and you're not happy doing it. For me, it's all part of my hobby and enjoyment. I understand those who say that it gets in the way of their actual guitar learning, but there are no rules to say you must be striving to improve your playing, Do what you enjoy.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    Gadget said:
    Spending time messing with pedals and sounds is only a problem if it bothers you and you're not happy doing it. For me, it's all part of my hobby and enjoyment. I understand those who say that it gets in the way of their actual guitar learning, but there are no rules to say you must be striving to improve your playing, Do what you enjoy.
    Exactly! It's therapy for me, I may be shit but I hit certain notes and the result is pleasing to my ear.

That said, I'm liking the Belle Epoch Deluxe. If only they had left out all the extra modes. :)
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Gadget said:
    Bud, whilst you're on- the input/output config for the 1210 you mentioned? Can you reiterate?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Gassage said:
    Bud, whilst you're on- the input/output config for the 1210 you mentioned? Can you reiterate?
    I will PM you...
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • Like all guitarists, I have done the pedal thing. But I think my all-time fave set up was when I had the Laney AOR30. I just used the two channels and reverb
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    It's OK, I can play the banjo!

What sort of fucking pervert are you?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957

Do it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    ICBM said:

Do it.
    That's calling his bluff ICBM!  :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Imagine having to play any high parts or lead lines without smothering it all in delay. Doesn't bear thinking about. It's for the audiences benefit as much as mine.
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:

Do it.
    That's calling his bluff ICBM!  :)
    No, I'm serious.

Since I stopped playing electric guitar in a band, I've almost given it up entirely - other than for testing amps and pedals I'm working on - because for playing by myself I find a good acoustic far more rewarding as well as simply less hassle to get out and less a strident sound in the house.

If you get the urge to go back to electric after a while you can always get a cheap guitar and amp - the quality of even almost entry-level stuff is so high these days it matters far less what you spend than it does with an acoustic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    If you do get a nice acoustic make sure it's a 12 string.
    They're wonderfully inspiring and far more satisfying to play than any electric.
    I hardly ever bother plugging in the electrics these days.
    I love my 12-string too, but if I had to have just one I'd have a 6, I think.