Pickup question

NunogilbertoNunogilberto Frets: 1679
I've come by a Hudson MM Stingray copy with an active circuit. Even with a new battery, it makes the odd pop through an amp but won't work properly. I've pulled off the control plate and nothing seems to be loose etc.

As I'll be using it as a jam night beater, the active circuit makes little or no difference to me. 

Given this, could I wire it up as a passive following an online diagram, or is it the case that the pickup will be an active type and make it impossible?

Cheets,

Matt
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• martmart Frets: 5205
    I think it's unlikely to have an active pickup in. Assuming it's a passive pickup, then yes, you can bypass the active preamp completely.

In theory you should be able to tell from the pickup wiring whether it's active or not - is there a discernible connection from the battery positive to the pick? In practice this may be hard to establish.
  • Thanks for the reply @mart ;

I double checked the wiring and there was a loose connection to the battery box. I've soldered it and it now seems to work fine. As for the pickup, it has the usual green/white/bare wires as well as black and red ones, none of which look to be connected to the battery box. I'll see if my repair holds out for now...