Newtone guitar strings

What's Hot

Any fans of Newtone?

Any comments on the relative merits of their standard acoustic strings (called Master Class, I think)... and their low-tension acoustic strings (Heritage)?

Thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• IMO Newtones are the best strings around for sound (also for alternate/open tunings) but the downside is they are pricy and they don't last as long as D'Addarios.  

Their Heritage range are the best low tension strings around if you are looking for something a bit lighter on the fingers or for a guitar with a fragile soundboard. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've  had a set of their Heritage on my acoustic for the last 6 months or so and the were nicer on the fingers. Still OK to play but the sound quality is a bit lacklustre now. Dunno if I will replace like for like. Bit pricey.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
    Great sound.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    Love em.  I've been using them for a couple of years now.
  • Strat_a_tat_tatStrat_a_tat_tat Frets: 2761
    edited January 2017

Gents... thanks for the feedback.

@Winny_Pooh and @daveww which model strings are you using... Master Class or Heritage... which gauges... and on what type of guitars? Thanks

Master class 12-52 on a Gibson AJ (long scale/rosewood) better than Daddarios in some ways. Daddario PB 12s are the "standard" for great tone so am pleased with these as an alternative.
  • @Winny_Pooh ; thanks for the info. I understand the Master Class have a lighter tension than the equivalent Daddarios. Have you found that noticeable when playing?
    edited January 2017
    I use 11-50 Master Class on a Dreadnaught (Blueridge BR180-CE).  Usually stick to a light gauge as I play quite a lot of lead.
  • @daveww. Thanks for the info.  I'm interested in trying some lighter strings (I usually use Daddario 12 to 53s). Do you find the 11-50 gauge Newtones have enough 'tone'/volume... and enough bass?

Thanks

• AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308
    from a post I made a while back -
    Newt’s has option on their site for NC’s u could just email them and ask for a ‘custom’ set of Heritage - never know.
    BTW Newt’s site is at present being updated - expect glitches
    another option is Eagle Music which sells Newtone PB strings in various gauges and even a ‘pick u’r own gauge.

DR Rares’ are ‘low tension’ - they play with the gauge of the core wire to achieve this - again just email them and ask bout lb’s tension.
    Pay attention to key words like ’Normal’ / ‘Low’ / ‘Flexible’ on the string sites.
    note their Sunbeams are normal tension but on a round core - making them (as they say on the site) ‘slightly’ more flexible, folk’s ( in the stats) get confused with flexibility / lower tension - they also call ‘alternative (tuning from standard) ‘alternate tuning’ and cant distinguish between an ‘Authentic’ guitar and a reproduction (read copy) when it means -
    genuine, original, real, actual, pukka, bona fide, true.

Then theres string life - longevity - they think the strings ‘kill’ themselves - nothing to do with the players skin excretion’s - sweat / oil..

@Winny_Pooh ; thanks for the info. I understand the Master Class have a lighter tension than the equivalent Daddarios. Have you found that noticeable when playing?
    A small bit on the wound strings. 
    Yes tone and bass response fine.  I also like the slightly lower action you get from the lighter gauge but I guess that depends on your setup.
  • Gentlemen... many thanks for your help and advice. I'm going to order a few different variations on the Master Class and Heritage versions... and do some experimenting. From your comments, it sounds like it could be very interesting.

Again, thanks for your help.

• Update... put a set of 12-51 Newtone Heritage - Low Tension strings on the J45.

Wow... they are really low tension. Very noticeable. Make the guitar waaay more playable (which is a good thing for my wusy fingers that are more used to electric strings). I think the guitar is very slightly quieter (I expected this... as there's less tension being put into the top of the guitar). Maybe a touch less bass than the 12-55 80/20 strings that were on the guitar before (think they might have been Ernie Ball strings. Whatever they were, they were normal tension... and obviously the 55 is likely to produce a stronger bass)... but the difference in playability more than makes up for this (and the bass is still strong).

Very impressed. I think Newtone has just won a new customer.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat_a_tat_tat said:
    Very impressed. I think Newtone has just won a new customer.
    Good to hear.  FWIW, I think Newtone make the best sounding strings. 
  • elkayelkay Frets: 77
    edited February 2017
    I've been experimenting with Newtone Heritage lately, also in search of better playability for aging hands. They're superb on my 000-18, seeming to give a fuller sound than the Martin SPs I had on before, but, more importantly, they're definitely easier on the hands. These look like being the string of choice for this guitar from now on. On the other hand, I hated them on my Taylor 812CE12 as they killed off most of the high end sparkle and shimmer. I suppose many who find Taylors too bright might say that this is no bad thing, but I guess you wouldn't buy a Taylor if you didn't like that shimmer, would you? Yes, I did remember to not cut the strings before installation and settling in, as per manufacturer's instructions. Looking more closely at the string gauges, I noticed that the Newtone sets had somewhat lower gauges than most other manufacturers' sets. For instance, the Newtone 12's have lower gauge 3rd, 4th and 5th strings than the Martin 10's (20, 28, 38 compared to 23, 30, 39), so they partly achieve their lower tension this way. As an experiment, I down-sized from the Martin SP 12's I normally use to 11's, and found that I loved them, giving me the easier playing I was looking for while still keeping the tone I like, a better result the the Newtones I have to say.
  • Update...

Still loving the Newtone Heritage Low Tension 12s on the J45. As I said... it's lost a slight touch of volume... but still sounds fine... and much easier to play.

Have also tried them on a Lowden F.... and they're a bit louder than the strings I'd been using on it (Elixir phosphor bronze, nanoweb 12s). Weird... not sure how a lower tension string can produce slightly more volume... maybe it's the absence of a coating on the strings... or something to do with the guitar having a cedar top?!?!?!?

Anyway... I'm a Newtone convert.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    Used to use their Gypsy ones for longevity, but they went dull early on.  Prefer D'Addario Gypsy ones these days.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • AliGorieAliGorie Frets: 308

Update...Have also tried them on a Lowden F.... and they're a bit louder than the strings I'd been using on it (Elixir phosphor bronze, nanoweb 12s). Weird... not sure how a lower tension string can produce slightly more volume... maybe it's the absence of a coating on the strings... or something to do with the guitar having a cedar top?!?!?!?

u'r over thinking it SATT - cedar tops / coatings etc etc.
    they're better quality strings in materials and manufacture - that simple.
    Big string manufacturers manufacture too a cost and shareholders dividend - likes of Newtone cant compete with that so rely on producing a quality product to get the sales.
    I've often wished BIG  string manufacturers would make a higher quality line of strings - would be interesting.
    All this said good strings are killed (by the player !) more quickly that $5 a set ones so if thats you - better stick with the lower quality product - Americans typically are of that mind.

• AliGorie said:

Update...Have also tried them on a Lowden F.... and they're a bit louder than the strings I'd been using on it (Elixir phosphor bronze, nanoweb 12s). Weird... not sure how a lower tension string can produce slightly more volume... maybe it's the absence of a coating on the strings... or something to do with the guitar having a cedar top?!?!?!?

u'r over thinking it SATT - cedar tops / coatings etc etc.
    they're better quality strings in materials and manufacture - that simple.
    Big string manufacturers manufacture too a cost and shareholders dividend - likes of Newtone cant compete with that so rely on producing a quality product to get the sales.
    I've often wished BIG  string manufacturers would make a higher quality line of strings - would be interesting.
    All this said good strings are killed (by the player !) more quickly that $5 a set ones so if thats you - better stick with the lower quality product - Americans typically are of that mind.

Thanks. Food for thought... but doesn't necessarily explain why the same strings were quieter on the J45 though.

That said... I'm happy with the Newtones on both guitars.