Recommend a cheap compressor pedal!

What's Hot
OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
Thinking about trying a compressor pedal in my live set up. I use a Strat through a Hot Rod Deville and find that I'm not always cutting through the mix consistently when I use clean sounds (which I do a bit). I assume using lowish output single coils through an amp with not a lot of mid may also being an issue?

I'm aware of the Joyo Dynamic Compressor (dyna comp clone?) and Mooer Yellow Compressor, any opinions on these or other recommendations. Ideally don't want to spend more than £60.

Thanks
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You could also look out for a used Visual Sound Comp 66 - it's basically a modded Dynacomp I think.  Quite a nice sounding pedal.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    Second hand Boss CS-3. Typically around £40-£45.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I wasn't a fan of the CS-3. Quite noisy at higher settings and seemed to add a kind of plasticky quality I didn't like.

What I did quite like was the Marshall ED-1 "Edward the Compressor". 

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Gassage said:
    Cheers, as used my Mr Gilmour himself I understand. Didn't realise they're only £79 new, so maybe I need to lookout for a 2nd hand one.
    ICBM said:
    Second hand Boss CS-3. Typically around £40-£45.
    Ahh thanks, trying to tempt me into the world of Boss ;)
  • Just to warn you, a compressor can often do the exact opposite - by reducing the dynamics it can help you sit in a mix, but not cut through. 

Definitely try one, but I preferred using mine as an effect rather than for a "normal" purpose, if that makes sense. 

I like dyna comps. Boss ones are really nice and underrated, but very squishy - which I like. 
  • I'd be tempted to try an EQ before you try a compressor. Boss GE7 is superb
    How very rock and roll
    Just to warn you, a compressor can often do the exact opposite - by reducing the dynamics it can help you sit in a mix, but not cut through. 

Definitely try one, but I preferred using mine as an effect rather than for a "normal" purpose, if that makes sense. 

I like dyna comps. Boss ones are really nice and underrated, but very squishy - which I like. 
    Maybe cut through is the wrong term. It's mainly clean stuff, particularly when picking arpeggios when the rest of the band are at full tilt, some notes come across stronger/have more presence than others. It's the sort thing I'd use a compressor to sort when mixing in cubase. I see my local guitar shop has both an MXR and Boss in stock (looks like they've also just sold some 2nd hand ones :p ) so might need to go and try them out.
    I'd be tempted to try an EQ before you try a compressor. Boss GE7 is superb
    Have been thinking that way as well, wondering whether more mid-range might help?. The EQ on my amp doesn't seem to have a massive amount of cut/boost, particularly at higher volumes.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    If you're considering a Dyna Comp, you'd be mad not to check out the Biyang Baby Boom Compress X. It's a clone of the Dyna but is less noisy. Cheap as chips too. 

Seriously, I was put onto it by rave reviews on another forum and owned it at the same time as a genuine Dyna Comp. The Dyna was sold shortly after acquiring the Biyang.

Having said all of the above, I'd strongly recommend looking for a comp with a mix/blend control. I struggled to get a comp that didn't make it sound like i'd thrown a blanket over my amp until I got one with a blend control. The 2 i have now are over your budget but I'm really pleased with them - Xotic SP and Suhr Koji.
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    I'd been playing about a decade or so before I first tried a compressor, and I instantly felt like an idiot for not getting one way sooner. I have an Xotic SP on my main board and a Seymour Duncan Vise Grip on my practice board, but like Beexter said, they're above your stated budget. Really good though.
  • Octafish said:
    Just to warn you, a compressor can often do the exact opposite - by reducing the dynamics it can help you sit in a mix, but not cut through. 

Maybe cut through is the wrong term. It's mainly clean stuff, particularly when picking arpeggios when the rest of the band are at full tilt, some notes come across stronger/have more presence than others. It's the sort thing I'd use a compressor to sort when mixing in cubase. I see my local guitar shop has both an MXR and Boss in stock (looks like they've also just sold some 2nd hand ones :p ) so might need to go and try them out.

You might like one then. 

A great alternative to the squishy ones is the Marshall Ed - it's cheap, not sure on reliability, but it sounds a bit more natural and has a lot of useful sounds. I prefer super squish but the Ed is a decent budget comp. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    For your intended purpose try and find an Orange Squeezer type comp.
    The new Dyna Comps are horrible noisy, clicky things. The originals were smooth and lush but they're getting expensive now.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    The Mooer Yellow Comp is fantastic, and a steal at £45. 
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 783
    Octafish said:
    Thinking about trying a compressor pedal in my live set up. I use a Strat through a Hot Rod Deville and find that I'm not always cutting through the mix consistently when I use clean sounds (which I do a bit). I assume using lowish output single coils through an amp with not a lot of mid may also being an issue?

Definately a compressor needed here, to beef up clean single string & double stop type playing, also for sustain. The boss cs3
    is fine if a bit noisy. Get one with a tone control.
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    I'd look for a second hand Barber Tone Press.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Gassage said:
    That's exactly what i have and i play a Strat through a Mike Landau Deviile.
    Cost £70 and sounds great.
  • StanleyAccringtonStanleyAccrington Frets: 264
    edited January 2017
    Post deleted. 

Beexter said:
    If you're considering a Dyna Comp, you'd be mad not to check out the Biyang Baby Boom Compress X. It's a clone of the Dyna but is less noisy. Cheap as chips too. 

Seriously, I was put onto it by rave reviews on another forum and owned it at the same time as a genuine Dyna Comp. The Dyna was sold shortly after acquiring the Biyang.

Having said all of the above, I'd strongly recommend looking for a comp with a mix/blend control. I struggled to get a comp that didn't make it sound like i'd thrown a blanket over my amp until I got one with a blend control. The 2 i have now are over your budget but I'm really pleased with them - Xotic SP and Suhr Koji.
    I've heard of Biyang a few times. I got a bit of a thing for cheap clone pedals when they're good, unfortunately there seems to be next to no outlets for Biyang in the UK with stock at the moment and very little on Amazon/Ebay.