Show Tunes

What's Hot
EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
or as I knew them growing up musicals. This pretty much was the music of my parent's aside from the odd crooner ( my mother loved Perry Como). The folks on here who talk about getting into rock listening to their dad's Led Zep albums had a whole different experience than me, my parents were nearly 40 when I was born and they were of a pre rock and roll generation.

Still, it is stuff I can quite happily go back to. I know this is primarily a guitar forum and these are often guitar low or free zones but to me these are the musical equivalent of childhood comfort foods and I felt I needed a bit of something around about now and found some stuff on youtube:

from what was probably my family's number one film ( I have even been to where it was filmed in Ibiza, although the comments on youtube say Hawaii, I probably need to go check on that!):

and for my oldest brother who did introduce me to Led Zep and Black Sabbath but who loves cowboy stories and old musicals he would be totally enraptured with this (and the most superb, effortless vocal):

and all these films best watched on a wet sunday afternoon following a large lunch with two puddings. Ahhh.
Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• rprrpr Frets: 309
    Out of my depth a bit...however hozabout-
    ?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    EricTheWeary said: my parents were nearly 40 when I was born and they were of a pre rock and roll generation.
    Same here, although my parents were a little older than yours.

They were Irish Catholics, so I had a great knowledge of hymns and Proper Folk Music :)

(My older sisters were into the Beatles, Stones, Deep Purple, etc etc :D)
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    rpr said:
    Out of my depth a bit...however hozabout-
    ?
    that's there, certainly. The idea of musicals and show tunes carried on through lloyd Weber and into modern shows but it's the Hollywood stuff that got imprinted on me.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Lixarto said:
    EricTheWeary said: my parents were nearly 40 when I was born and they were of a pre rock and roll generation.
    Same here, although my parents were a little older than yours.

They were Irish Catholics, so I had a great knowledge of hymns and Proper Folk Music :)

(My older sisters were into the Beatles, Stones, Deep Purple, etc etc :D)
    We had an upright piano and only my mother could play anything and her repertoire was entirely from the Methodist hymn book so we had a few things from that - even though they were converts to Mormonism (although I was born into a Mormon family they had pretty much given up on it by the time I was of school age and I wasn't raised as one).Indeed, I don't mind a good hymn but I might leave that thread to somebody else...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom