Odd Prosonic Power issues

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845
So, for the last couple of gigs, my fender prosonic has done this weird thing where you power it up and take it off standby and you get nothing.

Nada.

The only way i can end the mass panic amongst the other band members is to turn it all off and on again and then , usually it fires up. Not massively confidence inspiring - especially when you have just flogged your back up.

Any ideas before i burn it?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72253
    It could be the standby switch itself.

Are you using it in valve or solid-state rectifier mode?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• It varies mate - on your recommendation last night it was in SS
    In that case the switch is the most likely culprit. If not, probably a bad solder joint or crimp connector.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I hate unreliability
    Amps are a bloody nightmare - I don't think i have ever owned an amp that didn't cause me problems. Very very seriously considering buying one of the new generation solid state amps.
  • I hate unreliability
    Amps are a bloody nightmare - I don't think i have ever owned an amp that didn't cause me problems. Very very seriously considering buying one of the new generation solid state amps.
    I guess solid state could give you problems too, although Roland amps seem to be very reliable.  I've only owned a few tube amps and mostly solid state and the only amp that gave me a problem was my Cornell Plexi Seven... :(
    Solid-state amps can break too. Even old Peavey Bandits very occasionally cause trouble, although it's usually something simple and cheap to fix :).

Probably half my repair work is solid-state amps. It's not always serious faults, but anything that stops your amp working properly at a gig is a serious enough fault really - you're going to need some sort of backup if you're relying on it to get through the gig, unless you've got some means of going through the PA.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Well that's the other option isn't it
    Well that's the other option isn't it
    But then you need a cheap amp as well in case your modelling preamp thing dies or the PA goes down leaving the vocalist having to commandeer the powered monitors as a vocal amp…

AKA 'you can't win' :).

• ICBM said:
    Solid-state amps can break too. Even old Peavey Bandits very occasionally cause trouble, although it's usually something simple and cheap to fix :).

Probably half my repair work is solid-state amps. It's not always serious faults, but anything that stops your amp working properly at a gig is a serious enough fault really - you're going to need some sort of backup if you're relying on it to get through the gig, unless you've got some means of going through the PA.
    Do you get manyRoland Amps in for repair?  They claim to have some of the lowest failure rates in the industry for their XL Amps.  
    bingefeller said:

Do you get manyRoland Amps in for repair?  They claim to have some of the lowest failure rates in the industry for their XL Amps.  
    Not seen any of those. The only ones that seem to appear for repair are really old abused JC120s, and Cube 60s. The Cube 60 failing is disappointing for a Roland.

• So @icbm you advocate not using the standby switch if I recall - in case if it is the  SB switch can i just leave it on?
    Yes - normally I would advise using the standby, but like many modern amps with valve rectifiers, on the Prosonic the switch is in the wrong place in the circuit and will stress the rectifier valve. If you're using the valve it's better not to use the standby, if you're using the solid-state rectifier it's better to use it - but even then, it's not essential.