JC or EVH?

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 619
edited January 2017 in Amps
Jet city jca22h or evh lbx2 (when it appears) ??

Duties - pub/party gigs. Rock. Solo boost. Proper effects loop.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24793
    edited January 2017
    darius said:
    Jet city jca22h or evh lbx2 (when it appears) ??

Duties - pub/party gigs. Rock. Solo boost. Proper effects loop.
    You've certainly learned the value of brevity since being on Pop Idol....
    10reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Look for a second-hand JCA22H; they're about £130-£140. If that doesn't work out, sell it (you won't lose more than the postage) and get the LBX2. 

Honestly, I've gigged the JCA22H for years, and I reckon it's the perfect < 30W amp. The only thing is that for either of these, you'll likely need a fairly efficient set of speakers (minimum 2x12") if you're going up against a loud drummer and not putting a mic on your cab. Also worth bearing in mind that the LBX2 will have less headroom.
    <space for hire>
  • dariusdarius Frets: 619
    @richardhomer - oh how I enjoyed those years where every time someone met me they reminded me that I had the same name as that guy.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @digitalscream
     Yes - concern on both options is volume. My 30W Hayden is plenty loud over loud drummer. I'm using a Mesa 1x12 with black shadow speaker. 2x12 starts becoming overkill for our gigs. 
    Evh has a rep for being crazy loud for a 15w rating so was expecting it to be ok. Maybe the Jc 50w would be a better bet? Stupid low prices as you say. 
  • I'd get the jet city and avoid the LBX

I owned the LBX and it's a dog of an amp. The overdrive is like a buzz box, very harsh and impossible to smooth out no matter what cab you use and even with an EQ pedal in the loop. Believe me i flogged that horse until I'd exhausted all options 

Its nothing like it's 50 or 100 watt big brothers 

JC all the way 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • darius said:
    @digitalscream
     Yes - concern on both options is volume. My 30W Hayden is plenty loud over loud drummer. I'm using a Mesa 1x12 with black shadow speaker. 2x12 starts becoming overkill for our gigs. 
    Evh has a rep for being crazy loud for a 15w rating so was expecting it to be ok. Maybe the Jc 50w would be a better bet? Stupid low prices as you say. 
    Well, all amps are crazy-loud over 10W, but it's really headroom. I don't know much about the Black Shadow, but I know you'd be fine using a 2x12" with V30s (been there, done that).

Obviously, the JCA50H is easily enough. You might also consider the Jet City Amelia - proper clean channel and a proper drive channel, dual master volumes etc:

https://www.thomann.de/gb/jet_city_amplification_amelia.htm
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Oh great, another option. 
    Is that a new model? Not spotted it before. 
  • Yep, it's new - and it's had awesome reviews from people who've got one. Jet City fans have been begging for it for a couple of years.
    <space for hire>
    Amelia looks nice. But clean channel has no gain option. Can the gain channel be boosted for solos? 
    And i think it expects a 2x8ohm or 1x16ohm so a 1x8ohm won't work?
    I think you're right. The 22 is worth a punt with not much to lose if it all goes wrong. 
  • FortheloveofguitarFortheloveofguitar Frets: 4287
    edited January 2017
    darius said:
    Amelia looks nice. But clean channel has no gain option. Can the gain channel be boosted for solos? 
    I think you're right. The 22 is worth a punt with not much to lose if it all goes wrong. 
    Gain channel can be boosted for solos on the Amelia as it has a second master volume

Arrival date has been pushed back a month now though. Expected 10th March. Was 15th Feb before 
  • darius said:
    Gain channel can be boosted for solos on the Amelia as it has a second master volume

Arrival date has been pushed back a month now though. Expected 10th March. Was 15th Feb before 
    True, but the gain boost for the drive channel isn't footswitchable. Strange choice, that.
    <space for hire>
  • darius said:

True, but the gain boost for the drive channel isn't footswitchable. Strange choice, that.
    That was a bad choice. They should have made that foot switchable 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    JCA22H is a perfect cheap gigging amp if you don't need much in the way of clean.
  • darius said:

Yep. Someone's working on a mod to make it so...
    <space for hire>
  • darius said:

Yep. Someone's working on a mod to make it so...
    Ooh sounds good. Trouble is they're all in the U.S though 
  • @digitalscream What's your verdict on how close the Amelia sounds compared to the Earhart? 
    Amelia. Earhart. 
    I see what they did there. 
  • @digitalscream What's your verdict on how close the Amelia sounds compared to the Earhart? 
    The clips I've heard suggest they're pretty damn similar (even though the Amelia is supposedly just "inspired by" the Earhart design), and that's backed up by one of the guys who owns both.

Doubt I'll be buying one, though. My next purchase is going to be a Helix, probably at the end of the year; if I need a live rig before then, I'll most likely get a Bogner Red and a clean AMT preamp to run into an effects return, purely because that's a setup I'm incredibly curious about.
    <space for hire>
    The clips I've heard suggest they're pretty damn similar (even though the Amelia is supposedly just "inspired by" the Earhart design), and that's backed up by one of the guys who owns both.

Doubt I'll be buying one, though. My next purchase is going to be a Helix, probably at the end of the year; if I need a live rig before then, I'll most likely get a Bogner Red and a clean AMT preamp to run into an effects return, purely because that's a setup I'm incredibly curious about.
     I thought it was pretty close but maybe not enough for me to buy it which is a shame 

You don't fancy one of those new Eleven floor processors then. The Helix ripoff lol? 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26460
    edited January 2017

You don't fancy one of those new Eleven floor processors then. The Helix ripoff lol? 
    Nope. Their demos of it - combined with their responses (or lack thereof) on social media - have taken me from "Definitely going to get one" to "Not a chance in hell, matey".

They're basically the most unresponsive company I've come across since Avid; I see that as a relevant comparison. When I can get an almost-instant response from a massive company like Line 6/Yamaha but not a single response to a simple question ("Does it have delay/reverb spillover?") in a whole month, it's not a good sign. Asking that question basically results in no further responses from them on any given thread.

Also, it sounded pretty gash on the DI demos.

So...I'm going to buy from the company that has the better track record of talking to people instead.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom