Using Surgical/Methylated Spirits to harden skin?

What's Hot
Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
I've been playing even more than normal (1 to 2 hours a day has now become 4 to 5) seeing as it's the holidays, and my softish calluses are peeling off for some reason. so I now have a tender spot on my middle finger, has anyone used Meths or Surgical spirit on their calluses? 
'Awibble'
Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Didn't work for me (though many years ago now) just play through it. 
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    As a teenager I used to sit watching the telly with my fingers in a little dish of the stuff. Not sure how effective it really is though, but I certainly thought it was worth a try.
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Yup, it works. You need to rub it in with cotton wool or soak your finger tips. I've used it for years on and off. It just makes the skin a little tougher and helps accelerate calluses when gigging a lot.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• tonyrathtonyrath Frets: 51

Not to be applied internally!  I play regularly up to 6 hours a day and the calluses just build up BUT I took it slowly and built up the practice time slowly. Do it in two hour blocks - give your hands a break 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3321
    No but due to work etc I have needed to do something similar for cuts or nails lifting to get through a gig and I used a small amount of superglue. Now I'm not saying you should do this but if you decide to try be very careful it's completely dry before touching stuff.
  • wordywordy Frets: 67
    Hertz32 said:
    I've been playing even more than normal (1 to 2 hours a day has now become 4 to 5) seeing as it's the holidays, and my softish calluses are peeling off for some reason. so I now have a tender spot on my middle finger, has anyone used Meths or Surgical spirit on their calluses? 

How is the action on your guitar?  Its just I had similar problems with forever having skin hanging off my fingers during my early days, and it was because my action was too high.  Since I got that sorted out, I have calluses, but not really the cracked peely ones.

If youre really keen you could get some of those rubber thimble things to keep them dry, when you have your hands in water.

The meths thing didnt do anything for me, but maybe I didnt stick at it enough.

• bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    edited August 2013
    play /  rest / play /  rest

repeat, 

nothing beats a little time and patience.................
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248

wordy said:
    Hertz32 said:

How is the action on your guitar?  Its just I had similar problems with forever having skin hanging off my fingers during my early days, and it was because my action was too high.  Since I got that sorted out, I have calluses, but not really the cracked peely ones.

If youre really keen you could get some of those rubber thimble things to keep them dry, when you have your hands in water.

The meths thing didnt do anything for me, but maybe I didnt stick at it enough.

The action is fine, been playing like this for months. It's just the increased play time really... I don't have chunky calluses either, I have the flexible ones that seem to work best, they are just peeling for some reason... 
    'Awibble'
  • I'd say give it a go.

Everyone's genetics and body chemistry are different.

Someone's tried and tested method may not work for you.

If you find something that works (and assuming it doesn't do any harm) stick to it.

Good luck. Let us know how you get on.

Paul.
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Its what big joe joyce used to use to toughen up his hands ;)
    Seems to be working fairly well at the moment! Calluses are still the flexible useful kind and no pain or cracking ;) Definitely recommended over SRV's method of  superglue, drugs and a right bicep ;) 
    'Awibble'
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7142
    Its always worked for me in the past, really handy for when you have a load of gigs on and need hard tips!

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    bertie said:
    play /  rest / play /  rest

repeat, 

nothing beats a little time and patience.................
    Except a blowjob.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    And cheap attempts at humor? ;) 
    'Awibble'
  • My grandfather was a pro guitarist his whole life - used to soak his fingers in vinegar apparently...