Blackface Princeton (non-Reverb) - what I should be paying for an original amp?

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
Are these well regarded amps and will it do the blackface thing for me at home volumes?

Any tips on what to look for?

Baz

The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    They're OK, although quite clean and a bit flat-sounding compared to the Princeton Reverb, even if you're comparing them with the PR's reverb off - that's because the PR has an extra gain stage after the reverb. As a result they're worth about half what a PR of the same year and condition is.

if you want the characteristic Blackface tone, personally I'd buy a Princeton Reverb Reissue instead.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    ..glad I walked away from it now! 

It sounded pretty nice, but not a hint of breakup, even with P90s

I'll certainly check out the reissue before I take the plunge

Thanks @ICBM ;
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572
    I have a 64, it won't break up even on 10. Mine has a celestion gold and it sounds great for a clean platform.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Yep - I also found it incredibly quiet - played a modern Silverface reissue today and it had way more output.

I'm sure speaker sensitivity is part of that (the 64 had an Oxford) but I was still surprised