Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

fave live albums and recommendations

What's Hot

Comments

• Miles Davis - Live Evil

Seems odd to make the distinction between live jazz albums and studio jazz albums, since jazz has almost always been recorded live, and some albums that aren't sold as live albums are anyway- you can hear background chatter and cutlery clinking on Bill Evans' Waltz for Debby album for instance, recorded live at the Village Vanguard.

I guess it makes more sense when you're considering Miles' electric stuff, since that wasn't the case- the studio recordings are edited together from different performances to create music that was never actually played live, although I think that's also the case with Live Evil (which also has studio recordings on it). 

Which is not to say that it isn't a really good album :D

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • U2 - Under A Blood Red Sky.
    Many of my favourite live releases are actually DVD's - including the extended version of the Red Rocks show, which appeared on the reissue of Under a Blood Red Sky. IIRC it includes the whole show except for Fire, which was played whilst they were changing film reels, whereas the VHS was edited down.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    proggy said:
    Little Feat - live at Supersonic studios
    Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys
    Joe Walsh - You can't argue with a sick mind (underrated gem, pm me for a copy)
    Peter Gabriel - Secret World 
    Sade Live (1993 DVD)

I don't know that Little Feat album. Is it post Lowell George? I'll have to check this out.

And yes, that Joe Walsh album is class, Turn To Stone, absolute classic version.

@proggy OOPs its actually "live at Ultrasonic studios" was originally done for a radio broadcast and bootlegged since
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Probably no one here has ever heard it, but my favourite live album is Pendragon Concerto Maximo. Prog rock with sublime melodic guitar solos.

Big shout as well for Steve Vai's Alive in an ultra world

From the 70s I love Rainbow On stage
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Lots of ones I could repeat from previous post, so I'll go with:

Ani DiFranco - Living in Clip (captures a great period her career)
    Dylan - '66 Manchester Freetrade Hall (the Judas show just for the legend it became)
    Springsteen - Hammersmith Odeon '75 (for years he thought the gig was rubbish, but no, it captures him right at that point where he's about to make it big, and that show backs up why he and that band became the greatest). 
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Page & Plant UnLedded from Unplugged is a tour-de-force - the north African backing band is brilliant.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jalapeno said:
    Page & Plant UnLedded from Unplugged is a tour-de-force - the north African backing band is brilliant.

The version of Kashmir on that album is awesome.

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    The death of John Wetton has just reminded me - John Wetton Live in Poland. Dave Kilminster awesome on guitar.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    Actually I'm going to remove my recommendation for The Song Remains The Same. I listened to it this morning for the first time in a long time, and it's a bit crap really… I had it on cassette back in the 80s and listened to it a lot, which I think made me think it was better than it is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    ICBM said:
    Actually I'm going to remove my recommendation for The Song Remains The Same. I listened to it this morning for the first time in a long time, and it's a bit crap really… I had it on cassette back in the 80s and listened to it a lot, which I think made me think it was better than it is.
    I always thought that a poor album. Horribly indulgent in places. 

I was a massive Queen fan as well, but I never liked Queen live killers. I had much better bootlegs back in the day.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22774
    I love the film of The Song Remains The Same, but without the visuals the musical performances really aren't great.  That's what I thought back in the '80s, too - unusually discerning of me.
  • mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    Band of gypsies
    bb king live at the regal.
    i love the live at Hyde park peppers album, despite Frusciantes awful fuzz factory tone for the version of 'I feel love' lol
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299

i love the live at Hyde park peppers album, despite Frusciantes awful fuzz factory tone for the version of 'I feel love' lol
    I love the Frusciante-era Chili Peppers but I thought that was a dreadful album… I purposely didn't mention it even though I owned it for a while! On the subject of ones I *don't* recommend I would add Sheryl Crow Live From Central Park. Awful, overplayed crap.

On the other hand Simon & Garfunkel's Concert In Central Park is excellent.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mburekengemburekenge Frets: 1058
    @icbm yeah, it's awful on the whole, but that frusciante/flea version of I feel love fills me with joy for some reason lol
  • Lots of ones I could repeat from previous post, so I'll go with:

I have this its a great album although I cannot listen to it all in one go
  • How The West Was Won is WAY better than The Song Remains The Same

• Lots of ones I could repeat from previous post, so I'll go with:

I've never heard it, but I do have So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter which is also excellent, if a little dated with the post-9/11, anti-Bush protest song "Self-Evident". My ex-wife bought it, having liked the earlier punk-folk stuff and hated it- the songs have all been reworked by the band- keys, sax, trumpet, upright bass etc, and it's pretty jazzy.

• axisus said:
    ICBM said:
    I always thought that a poor album. Horribly indulgent in places. 

That's my issue with Purple's Made In Japan. Everything goes on forfuckingever, and there's so much squealing and soloing and general self-love set to music. It's possible to make long improvisations interesting (see previous recommendation of At Fillmore East), but few of the bands who thought they could back in the 70s were actually right.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Lots of ones I could repeat from previous post, so I'll go with:

I've never heard it, but I do have So Much Shouting, So Much Laughter which is also excellent, if a little dated with the post-9/11, anti-Bush protest song "Self-Evident". My ex-wife bought it, having liked the earlier punk-folk stuff and hated it- the songs have all been reworked by the band- keys, sax, trumpet, upright bass etc, and it's pretty jazzy.
    Living in Clip features mostly just the guitar/bass/drums touring line-ups, before the horns and stuff. Much better IMO. 

And certainly no annoying xylophone like on 'live at babeville'
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4694
    JoBo - Live at the Greek

Rolling Stones - Get yer ya ya's out
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.