What should I do about my rig?

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
So, I'm getting strife from Mrs addict about all the gear cluttering up the place plus I don't gig much any more so I've been thinking about streamlining things. But which way to go? I have 2 amps - a Orange TH30 and a H&K Switchblade 100 (both heads) - and a Marshall 1936 2x12...I've put V30s in it and it's one of the ones with decent ply construction and sounds pretty good. So, I probably want to keep the cab.

I have quite a few pedals. One option would be to get rid of the Orange and just use the on board fx with the Switchblade. Then I could get rid of pretty much all my pedals except maybe one overdrive and a boost. But I would need to keep my Morpheus Droptune at least and probably my Wah (it's switchless...I can't drive a manual =) ). At least I could get everything on one easily-hidden board though. At the moment I have pedals hanging off the side and stuff.

OR - I could get rid of the Switchblade and swap the pedals for some kind of multi-fx to use with the Orange in 4CM. Again, everything should fit on one board.

Both of those should help me trim down the rig a fair bit. It comes down to which amp I want to keep really. The switchblade sounds good and is very flexible...but the Orange has a particular something about it that just sounds great. And I love the simplicity of it.

Hmm...dunno.  =)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Me neither - judgement of Solomon time I'm afraid...you like everything you have, but something's gotta go. Whatever you decide to keep and sell, I'm afraid you'll probably wish you did it differently later on.  I know that's no help, but I'm not far off your quandary myself, so I empathise!    :/  

Maybe the 'deciding factor' is simply either to get rid of the bulkiest stuff or the stuff you'll get most money from if you sell it now.  Also, consider that changing technologies/'fashions' are likely to mean your Switchblade is going to devalue more & more, and become harder to sell - whereas good pedals and an Orange valve amp will always be wanted. 

Of course, if ever Switchblades started to suddenly become collectible, that buggers that up!  =)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    If you don't gig, sell up and get a high end modeller and maybe a small tube combo for if yunhave to keep a link to valves for posterities sake. You will play more guitar at home through a Helix and the tube combo can be for when the missus is out.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31519
    Ditch the pedals and get a good multiFX, and keep the Orange.

The multiFX will scratch the versatility itch when you get bored, but no amount of versatility will ever scratch the simple, great tone itch, so you will definitely miss the Orange if you get rid of it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    p90fool said:
    Ditch the pedals and get a good multiFX, and keep the Orange.

The multiFX will scratch the versatility itch when you get bored, but no amount of versatility will ever scratch the simple, great tone itch, so you will definitely miss the Orange if you get rid of it.
    This.

A multi-FX with an emulated line/headphone output will also give you a silent practice or recording option.

I would also worry about the long-term reliability/repairability of an amp as complex as the Switchblade, but I'm like that :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4525
    New wife?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks for the comments. I haven't gigged for a while but we are trying to get back into it so I need to keep that option open. I think keeping the Orange is probably the way to go. I personally like the tone of the switchblade but it is more modern sounding and not quite as appropriate for the band stuff.

I suppose if I am just using it for occasional mod fx and a drive or two I don't need the most expensive multi-fx in the world. I don't really want to pay Helix money for this. Plus that is a big unit. A nova system or line 6 M9 would work except I don't think either of those do 4CM...any suggestions?
    edited January 2017

I suppose if I am just using it for occasional mod fx and a drive or two I don't need the most expensive multi-fx in the world. I don't really want to pay Helix money for this. Plus that is a big unit. A nova system or line 6 M9 would work except I don't think either of those do 4CM...any suggestions?
    Boss GT100 - built like a tank, has expression pedal, designed with 4-CM in mind, twin menus, easy switching, excellent effects, very good amp/cab models - and you can pick up a used one for around £200 or so, or maybe even a tad less.   Two on Gumtree right now (Manchester & West Yorkshire, both asking £200). 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24199
    Helix
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Thanks for the comments. I haven't gigged for a while but we are trying to get back into it so I need to keep that option open. I think keeping the Orange is probably the way to go. I personally like the tone of the switchblade but it is more modern sounding and not quite as appropriate for the band stuff.

2nd hand Amplifire?

• Ooh...Amplifire...that might be a way forward. The Captain has that market sewn up in the UK so there aren't any bargains on those units. I'll keep an eye out.

Not so keen on the Boss GT ones, just because of the physical size of the thing. I used to have a GT8 which sounded good. Should have kept it.  =)
    Helix
    @gearaddict ; did say "I don't need the most expensive multi-fx in the world. I don't really want to pay Helix money for this. Plus that is a big unit  "
    edited January 2017
    If you can get by without 4-cable a Zoom G3 or G3X is really compact, inexpensive, & has some great effects and amp/cab models to play with.  
  • Voxman said:
    If you can get by without 4-cable a Zoom G3 or G3X is really compact, inexpensive, & has some great effects and amp/cab models to play with.  
    Might be the way to go...I suppose I can live without 4CM...really just need an overdrive up front tbh.

I think the first multi I bought was that little G1n from Zoom. It cost about 70 quid or something and sounded really good!
  • Spent the evening trying to convince myself to get rid of one or other of my amps. More confused than ever now. Something about the Orange is very cool...it's that kind of spongy sizzle that the H&K doesn't really have. It does make me want to play. The H&K sounds cool too though and does everything. Part of me is reluctant to get rid of it coz I bought it when DV247 were knocking them out for 600 quid which is silly money.

I'm not sure patch-based stuff works for me though. I'm constantly tweaking the eq and changing stuff on the fly. I can't imagine ever getting a set of sounds, sticking them in patches and never changing them. Might just have to accept I'm a simple amp with a few pedals kind of guy. And just have less pedals or something.

I might just pack up the switchblade and some pedals and stick them somewhere and see how it goes...