Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps you have returned pretty quickly and why ?

What's Hot

Comments

• TitchTitch Frets: 45
    Marshall TSL 100 combo, reliable as a two bob watch!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bogner Shiva combo: too heavy, too bland sounding.

Bogner Goldfinger: Broke within a week. Combo has design flaw and vibrates.

Fryette Sig:X : Broke within 2 weeks, refunded.

2 AC30 handwired combos - faulty. 
  • ICBM said:

I sold on a Traynor YCV20WR because it didn't do really clean (lovely "not-quite-clean" sound, and great crunch/drive sound).
    That was the right decision sadly… I loved my YCV20 especially for that not-quite-clean sound, but many of its other flaws drove me mad, and I was worried about the poor internal layout which meant that the heat from the power valves went directly into cooking the PCB - when I had it, the board was already starting to turn brown and it was only a couple of years old.

About a year after I sold it the new owner brought it back, dead - guess what had burned out. I did fix it for him for cheaply, but it would have been a right pain if it had happened at a gig.

Even now I sometimes wonder about buying another one because I miss that sound so much - but then I think about the burning PCB, the noisy reverb, the loud pop when changing channels, the poor valve access and the general awkward access to work on anything and go off the idea again.
    Your comment on the channel pop reminds me of an amp I wish now I'd never sold, my fender Prosonic Combo. Man what a clean channel when run on the class A rectifier setting. The channel change produced a helluva pop and you had to be deadening the strings to mute it. On looking back I wish I still had that amp.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I've liked every amp I've owned.
    Wouldn't have bought them if I hadn't.
     :) 
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    H&K Switchblade ... looked good on paper, was dull and lifeless :(
    #thebatesmotelband
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Marshall DSL100
    apartnfrom the green crunch channel it was a disaster
    everything else I've more or less kept apart from a couple of trades
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    H&K Tubemeister 18, I just couldn't get over the empty glassy tone after sitting down with it for a whole day
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2216
    The only amp I didnt get on with was a Mesa F30. It sounded fine in the shop but I just couldnt dial in any sounds at home. I gave up after a week.
  • I bought an orange tiny terror head. It arrived on the Saturday, I played it for around 15 minutes, decided I didn't like it and sold it. The guy collected it on the Sunday. This was back in the old days where people would risk a few hundred quid or more to try something they fancied knowing there was a good chance the could sell it on. 
  • EVH LBX head : First one was d.o.a. The replacement worked but was a complete box of wasps. Harsh tone that cannot be smoothed out under any circumstance

Any of the victory amps. Martin Kidd was a genius at Cornford but the victory stuff is just garbage

Marshall SL-5: Such a thin lifeless tone. No bottom end balls whatsoever.  Even when pushing a 4x12

Blackstar HT20: One of the worst amps I've ever played. Buzzsaw overdrive tone. A complete piece of shit amp. Belongs in a landfill 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cornford Carrera. Sold it the very next day. Still the only amp that has ever given me a headache through its horrible horrible sound. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    Tiny Terror was sold on pretty quickly. I blame PGS Andy for me buying it in the first place when it clearly isn't my style
    I saw clips of the handwired tiny terror that sounded awesome, why the hell didn't they fit an fx loop !
    I'm surprised you didn't buy it first to see if it had one ;)

Seriously though, who needs fx loops, front end everything all day long for me.
    Cos gain innit bruv. 
    I use the gains and have everything out front.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    edited January 2017
    Over the past half-dozen years, I’ve tried a variety of small, low-powered valve amps, with very little success. Had a Blues Junior and moved it on in a matter of days in favor of a Traynor YCV20WR, which I liked—but by chance shortly thereafter I picked up a Traynor YGL-1. I absolutely loved the YGL-1 from the moment I plugged it in, and it fortunately doesn’t suffer from the YCV20WR issues that @ICBM mentioned above (has a conventional Fender-like layout and noiseless Belton Brick digital reverb, although also is only a single channel amp). So the YCV20WR was gone pretty quickly too. The YGL-1 also beat out a Mesa Subway Blues, though that one did stick around for a while (good sounding cleans, excellent reverb, but no master volume and pretty small sounding as you’d expect from an open-back 1X10 combo).

I keep hoping to find a two-channel amp to fit this niche, and recently I came across a Mesa Recto-Verb 25. Looked lovely—it was a custom color with burgundy tolex and a wicker grille—but I couldn’t get a sound I genuinely liked out of any of the modes. So off it went, too.

I’m beginning to conclude that I’m not going to find something I like for this purpose better than the YGL-1, so I might just have to pick up a second one and run it with an A/B box.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    Apart from obvious horrors like a Blues Jr and some twin channel JCM800 thing I gave away I'm not actually that fussy about amps if they're reliable. 

Apart from the two above mentioned I can usually tweak them to my liking a bit anyway. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    Fargen townhouse 20. Took me ages to sell it but I hated it almost immediately. Bought on line at massive discount. On paper sounded great just didn't do what it said and was so sterile. Replaced with a brunetti singleman 35 which is awesome.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 910
    edited January 2017
    Yamaha thr10. Bought last Thursday going back to the shop today for a refund. Cleans are nice,  anything other than that terrible!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    Tiny Terror was sold on pretty quickly. I blame PGS Andy for me buying it in the first place when it clearly isn't my style
    I saw clips of the handwired tiny terror that sounded awesome, why the hell didn't they fit an fx loop !
    I'm surprised you didn't buy it first to see if it had one ;)

Seriously though, who needs fx loops, front end everything all day long for me.
    Cos gain innit bruv. 
    I use the gains and have everything out front.
    Hmmmm amp drive all day long for me, never got on with pedal drive, always a compromise in my experience. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Bkackstar s200 - utter dogshit, poor build, worse sound, just a terrible amp. When I was tech'ing for another band we sent back 3 of the 50w s1's, they just brought he down and sucked a lot.

VHT deliverance 60 - great amp, just not for me! 

Bogner ecstacy 101b - great sounding but was literally falling apart, I don't rate bogners build at all.

orange rockerverb mk1 - to me it just didn't sound like an orange.

• Spider Valve Mk II. This was in  2010.

It had good reviews, would have fitted my needs. So I ordered one from Andertons.

I had it out of the box for five minutes. Horrible midrange honk , I mean super super noticable. Never heard anything like this. Also the master volume control had the worst taper of anything I've used - it had two settings - off and too loud to use at home.  Phoned up Andertons and arranged a return "because it sounds like utter crap", which they were happy to sort for me.

I've owned all kinds of amps of high gain valve monsters to small modelling things, but the Spider Valve was the only one I hated instantly. 

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I'm amazed at how quickly some of you decide an amp is rubbish. Takes me at least a few hours to explore most amps capabilities.