Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps you have returned pretty quickly and why ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Sassafras said:
    I'm amazed at how quickly some of you decide an amp is rubbish. Takes me at least a few hours to explore most amps capabilities.

I came to the decision early on to stick stubbornly with BF Fender amps.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • <snip>
    Your comment on the channel pop reminds me of an amp I wish now I'd never sold, my fender Prosonic Combo. Man what a clean channel when run on the class A rectifier setting. The channel change produced a helluva pop and you had to be deadening the strings to mute it. On looking back I wish I still had that amp.
    Me too. I loved the clean channel (best I've ever owned) but couldn't live with the channel switch "pop" and the very strong reverb. Suited 2x10 speakers well and very loud. 
  • Cornford Carrera. Sold it the very next day. Still the only amp that has ever given me a headache through its horrible horrible sound. 
    I have a sneaking suspicion that I sold you that amp..through ebay...sorry about that.

That and the Harlequin I had before it, I simply rate as pieces of junk. 

One lives and learns. 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    Marshall 2061x - faulty.
    Replacement - faulty.

Gave up.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I owned a Fender Blues Junior for all of 2 hours, it sounded good in the shop but when I brought it home I realised just how crap it was.
  • polotskapolotska Frets: 116
    Almost forgot—I also very briefly had a Yamaha THR100. Had high hopes for it based on what I’d read, but I didn’t like any of the dirty sounds at all. I’d also hoped that, as a modeler, it would excel at very low volume tones—but it didn’t.
  • Tuscan777Tuscan777 Frets: 125
    Cornford Roadhouse 30 combo, twice.

Sounded great but the one I bought blew up a couple of weeks after getting it. Went back to Cornford, came back working, then blew up again within the week.

• gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I had two Marshall VS30R's go back on the same day.

First one plugged in and kept changing channels all of it's own accord. Second one opened the box and the cab was really damaged.

Shop took pitty on me and sold me a S/H VS100R for the same price which was brilliant and I stupidly traded it in for a JCM2000 TSL100H which went back more than once under warranty.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Sassafras said:
    I'm amazed at how quickly some of you decide an amp is rubbish. Takes me at least a few hours to explore most amps capabilities.
    If it sounds terrible straight out the box with everything at noon it is probably going to be a struggle from there on in in my experience

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I owned a Fender Blues Junior for all of 2 hours, it sounded good in the shop but when I brought it home I realised just how crap it was.
    Yep the blues jr is one shitty amp, can't believe it sells so well
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Egnater Tweaker. Horrible thing; also any Cornell Romany (although I love anything else Den makes)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    Gassage said:
    Egnater Tweaker. Horrible thing; also any Cornell Romany (although I love anything else Den makes)
    Which is weird because I thought it was a thoroughly decent amp.. having said that I did replace the speaker right away as the incumbent one seized. 
  • Gassage said:
    That surprises me. about the Egnater. The Tweaker is a very flexible amp, hence the name, and it's rare that it wasn't possible to dial in a decent sound. Horses  for courses, I suppose.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16090
    Blackstar Artisan 15 - schrill,spiky and aggressive although I only used a tele at the time maybe different with HBs
      Wharfedale tst50........oversized fuzzbox
  • Oh, I forgot - Framus Cobra. Sounded glorious when it actually worked, but there was a fault somewhere internally which caused all the volume to randomly drop out.

However, that's not why I returned it; I would quite happily have paid to have it repaired. The reason it went back is that I took the panel off to make sure the valves were seated properly after transit, and half of the internal struts fell out. Then I noticed that both transformers were loose, there were two pieces of broken plastic hanging around inside and a lot of rattling coming from inside the chassis.

Not what you want from an expensive amp.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    Oh yeah a Blackstar HT5. Utterly horrendous.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Fender Supersonic 22 head. Loved the clean channel, but it had a hiss I couldn't get rid off, and also made a massive pop when changing channels.
  • Ah! Here we go...

Randall RG50TC. Dull, lifeless. Yuk. Returned.
    - Peavey Valveking 100w head. Was ok but just a very specific sound I didn't use enough.
    - Behringer V-Ampire 120 head. Too complicated.
    - Roland Cube 80x. Used to have a cube 60 which I gave to a family member...this just didn't sound as good.
    - H&K Edition Tube 25th Anniversary. Used to have a Tube 20th which sounded much better than this and I stupidly sold it.
    - Mesa F30. Yuk. Returned.
    - Egnater Rebel 20. Broke.
    - Egnater Rebel 30 - not as good as the 20.
    - Trademark 60 - really awful amp...don't get why people like these.
    - H&K Trilogy - just a bit harsh.
    - Marshall DSL-50 (again) - I had a DSL50 which was my main amp for ages and it broke. This just sounded wrong. Dunno.
    - Yamaha THR-5 - don't get why people like these. Better off with a £20 mini-Marshall

...and those are just the ones I sold quickly  =) 

To be fair to me, I've had the same main amp for a few years now (Orange TH30).
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Cabicular said:
    Sassafras said:
    If it sounds terrible straight out the box with everything at noon it is probably going to be a struggle from there on in in my experience

I've often found that many amps with the full TMB tone stack sound awful with everything at noon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Dominic said:
    Blackstar Artisan 15 - schrill,spiky and aggressive although I only used a tele at the time maybe different with HBs
      Wharfedale tst50........oversized fuzzbox
    Strange because that's a head I'd love to try, completely unusable at home of course