Made by Mike Dream Box problem

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9715
So I got a Made by Mike Dream Box Pedal in a trade but unfortunately the muff side (the only side I want to be honest) is not working. It's a double pedal, one side is an MXR dist2 and the other is an IC Big Muff.

The trader is aware now (and was mortified!) but I've agreed I don't want to renege on the trade as the pedal I swapped for I've no use for.

Basically as sooon as the muff is engaged there is only the most minute of sounds coming out, in fact I can only really hear it of the distortion is also engaged with the volume on that up full. The distortion by itself is fine but I don't need that bit, literally just had it for the muff.

Might anybody know of what might be causing this at all? I've done some gut shots albeit I don't think that's likely to help all that much. Just a cry for help really as I've got the shit end of the stick in this deal but the other dude was so chuffed with the pedal he got it feels wrong to be awkward if I can get this fixed up so I can move it on (probably)

http://i.imgur.com/4nIekqZ.jpg muff side is at the bottom

http://i.imgur.com/T6h8Zr9.jpg muff side on the right

Thanks all!
Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Mike always seemed to be a super cool dude. I know @benecol is very close with him (professionally) Maybe try dropping Mike an email through his website and see if he would look at it for you? 
    How very rock and roll
  • Yeah I have emailed but no answer as yet, I assumed it's because I didn't buy it and I don't really intend keeping it now that it wouldn't be a priority.
  • I can't see anything obvious, but maybe it's worth making sure the ICs are pressed firmly into their sockets.
    On the ICBM side, the white wire in the centre of the footswitch is the input to the ICBM circuit, with the output being the blue wire. To check whether the footswitch is the problem, desolder the white wire from the footswitch and connect it to the yellow wire above it (that's the output from the Dist 2 side) and the connect the blue wire to the white wire below it (which goes to the output jack). One you've done that, make sure that the footswitch is engaged (LED on: if you don't, the input will be shorted to the output) and if the ICBM side now works, you have a dodgy footswitch. If it still doesn't work, the fault lies elsewhere. 
    It's not a lot to go on, but it's relatively easy to check.
    Good luck!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Thanks @lasermonkey for that which is brilliantly detailed however unfortunately I don't know one end of the soldering iron from the other so I think id best not even attempt that :) think best to write it off as a mistake and never again think what might have been had I kept my Deucetone Rat...
  • Deucetone Rat? Oh, that's harsh!
    Surely the person you traded with has obligations concerning the non-working pedal?
    Its not right that you should be left out of pocket here.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Deucetone Rat? Oh, that's harsh!
    Surely the person you traded with has obligations concerning the non-working pedal?
    Its not right that you should be left out of pocket here.
    It's OK, they have been good about it but I don't see any point in us both being left with a pedal that is useless to us, the trade as it was set up was equal value in my eyes but just unfortunate. I'm sure I'll get it fixed some day to sell on
  • Oooh breakthrough!!! If I press the PCB down whilst engaged and playing through it I can get sound. Unfortunately when i let it go again the sound stops. Any body got any clue what that might be?
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Either something shorting, a bad joint or a loose wire somewhere likely. An easy fix for someone with an audio probe, multimeter and a bit of time.

Are you local to Yorkshire? 
  • 2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    ...it's an important question ;)
  • Lol local pedals for local people. No I'm not sadly. I pressed and held the PCB down for a bit (there seems to be double sided sticky tape holding it underneath?) And it's worked on since actually, so good knows what that is. I've not stepped on it yet as that'll probably do it back again but hey ho! Thanks all for the help

For the record, it sounds OK, not amazing but OK
  • Lol local pedals for local people. No I'm not sadly. I pressed and held the PCB down for a bit (there seems to be double sided sticky tape holding it underneath?) And it's worked on since actually, so good knows what that is. I've not stepped on it yet as that'll probably do it back again but hey ho! Thanks all for the help

For the record, it sounds OK, not amazing but OK
    Birmingham. Everyone in the West Midlands is inept at technical things, that's how we produced the Rover Metro. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.