My rig, 1987 style...

What's Hot
BabyfrankBabyfrank Frets: 40
edited January 2017 in FX
https://goo.gl/photos/fZoCAkisRMfyWiLP6

• Enormous sheet-metal pedalboard with built-in preamp/buffer that I designed and built as part of my 1st year Electronic Engineering college course.

• 1970s (?) Coloursound Wah/Fuzz/Swell that I bought 2nd hand from Macaris in the mid-80s while on a trip to London.  Still have it, though it doesn't work anymore. My first ever effects pedal.

• Arion Metal Master pedal... they were cheap and cheerful, doesn't really do anything other than High Gain. Still knocking around somewhere in my old gear box.

• Arion Flanger... again, cheap and cheerful but worked fine and pretty versatile.  Still have it, but the plastic cover for the battery went missing years ago, as seems to typically be the case with these pedals.

• Ibanez Digital Delay.  Cost me an arm and a leg in December '85, £95 then, the equivalent of about £260 today. Yikes.

• Enormous Park 2x12 Valve combo that weighed the same as a collapsed neutron star.  Sold it to a collector in the early 90's for more than twice what I'd paid.

• Westone Spectrum DX with proprietary locking trem system... still have it today, and still a very playable guitar
(Dodgy 1970s era carpet courtesy of my Mum and Dad)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice! 
  • I had one of those Westone Spectrums. It was great to play, and you're right about the vibrato system bring proprietary, but it stayed in timew no matter what you did to it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Cool! Did you know you can still buy replacement battery covers for Arion pedals http://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/pedals-pedal-parts . Were they particularly good pedals? I see them still changing hands so assume they must be desirable despite being housed in plastic.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I loved my Arion Flanger... it was surprisingly good

My '91 rig
    Rak Overdrive > Real Tube Over drive Pedal > Boss Pitch shift delay > Arion Stage Tuner > Peavey Stereo Classic Chorus
    PVC trousers and Swiss Formula hair repair
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

1reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Octafish said:
    Cool! Did you know you can still buy replacement battery covers for Arion pedals http://www.allparts.uk.com/collections/pedals-pedal-parts . Were they particularly good pedals? I see them still changing hands so assume they must be desirable despite being housed in plastic.
    I hate chorus effect but the Arion Chorus pedal is the only one that doesn't sound absolutely sickening. I believe it's got a bit of a cult following.
  • Sassafras said:
    I hate chorus effect but the Arion Chorus pedal is the only one that doesn't sound absolutely sickening. I believe it's got a bit of a cult following.
    Yep. Apparently a lot of the 80s session guys really liked it. I know Michael Landau used one.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• I was born in 1987 ;)

Nice carpet though, very Jackson Pollock
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Octafish said:
    Thanks for this, I had no idea they were available. Must pull it out of the loft and have a listen.
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Brilliant picture, especially the hand made board. 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Cabicular said:
    My '91 rig
    Rak Overdrive > Real Tube Over drive Pedal > Boss Pitch shift delay > Arion Stage Tuner > Peavey Stereo Classic Chorus
    PVC trousers and Swiss Formula hair repair
    Great amps! Ludicrously loud. 

Thinking back to my rig circa-1991, I think it went: Tokai Strat (usually) into Boss CS-1 compressor, Schaller volume pedal, Boss SD-1 overdrive, Jen Wah, Ibanez BC9 Bi-Mode Chorus, MXR Phase 100, Boss PN-2 Tremolo, Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress, Arion DDS-1 Delay into the Peavey Classic Chorus 130.

The Arion pedals are/were really nice. I still have the DDS-1, as well as the DCF-1 chorus/flanger (which is a great bit of seriously underrated kit) plus a couple of the old SAD-1 analogue delays - which still gets used for self-oscillations. On the whole they can be picked up pretty cheaply (apart from the old chorus ones, of course) but can be a bugger to sell

• peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    My board from the same time would have been nearly all Arion since my mum could get them from her catalogue. 

I had - distortion, metal master, delay and the chorus. 

And a Pearl Octaver. 

I have no idea why I got the octaver it wasn't even that good. 

End of 87 i got a Marshall jubilee head and discovered volume and rack systems. 

Then it all got a bit surreal. 

I remember the Westone guitars as pretty good for the era - certainly better than most 
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    peteri said:
    My board from the same time would have been nearly all Arion since my mum could get them from her catalogue. 

I had - distortion, metal master, delay and the chorus. 

And a Pearl Octaver. 

I have no idea why I got the octaver it wasn't even that good. 

What! :0

Those Pearl Octavers were great! Mind you, I used to use mine for flute! Sounded great through the Octaver into the Electric Mistress and a WEM Copicat. Very organic and synthy. I've never been a fan of guitars!