2»

Comments

• Ok thanks.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3040
    edited February 2017
    Depends on the looper. eg. the G2 has built-in buffering. If it's just a simple box of true bypass loops then running it with a buffer in front would be a good idea. Whether or not you need to spend £300 on an emitter follower circuit is left as an exercise for the reader... 
  • Depends on the looper. eg. the G2 has built-in buffering. If it's just a simple box of true bypass loops then running it with a buffer in front would be a good idea. Whether or not you need to spend £300 on an emitter follower circuit is left as an exercise for the reader... 
    sounds like helpful advice, what's an "emitter follower circuit" and how would it help?

• An "emitter follower" is a type of electronic circuit commonly used in buffers. It consists of a transistor and a few resistors and capacitors, typically costing a couple of quid.
  • @robinbowes thank you, so you're saying it may be sensible to put a buffer Before and after a true bypass looper?

• An "emitter follower" is a type of electronic circuit commonly used in buffers. It consists of a transistor and a few resistors and capacitors, typically costing a couple of quid.
    If that. I built one for my pedalboard using the simplest of tagboardeffects.com's buffer designs and as I recall it came in at a little over a pound (I built it in to a patchbox I already had so saved a fair bit on an enclosure). The effect on the tone from my setup was remarkable (10 or so pedals, mostly TB, 4 cable method with 20ft leads).

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• Depends on the looper. eg. the G2 has built-in buffering. If it's just a simple box of true bypass loops then running it with a buffer in front would be a good idea. Whether or not you need to spend £300 on an emitter follower circuit is left as an exercise for the reader... 
    Wouldn't a Cornish buffer have input and output buffers as well as the actual buffer circuit?  :)

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @robinbowes thank you, so you're saying it may be sensible to put a buffer Before and after a true bypass looper?
    No. It may be, but that's not what I'm saying.

Don't be confused by the term "emitter follower", it's just the name of a type of circuit commonly used in buffers. Buffers may be used before or after other circuits.

R.
    Wouldn't a Cornish buffer have input and output buffers as well as the actual buffer circuit?  :)
    Heh. :)

Don't be confused by the term "emitter follower", it's just the name of a type of circuit commonly used in buffers. Buffers may be used before or after other circuits.

R.
    In that case, my question still stands, how could an emitter follower circuit help, after the looper?

just trying to understand what you are saying. Thanks for taking the time to help.

R.
    In that case, my question still stands, how could an emitter follower circuit help, after the looper?

just trying to understand what you are saying. Thanks for taking the time to help.
    I *think* the comment was tongue in cheek saying the cornish buffer is a fancy "emitter follower" circuit (simple and cheap to make), or at least thats how I read it - could be wrong.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management

R.

A buffer after the looper would help if the last pedal in your chain had a relatively high output impedance and was struggling to drive longish cables back to the amp. 

R. 

R.

---he was trying to suggest that the price that Pete Cornish (and others) charge for a buffer circuit might be somewhat more than many of us would deem reasonable. 
  • Ok, for forgive my slow uptake, it's a Sunday and I'm chilling...brain only works on a Monday-Friday!

They're not £300, but I take your point :-)

well.... u might want 1 of these then jon: http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product/cpb-double-bluff/

for all things pedal boards please visit www.custompedalboards.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    @robinbowes thank you, so you're saying it may be sensible to put a buffer Before and after a true bypass looper?
    well.... u might want 1 of these then jon: http://www.custompedalboards.co.uk/product/cpb-double-bluff/

@CustomPedalBoards I'm in love with the pedalboard I think you guys built for Dave @ Alive Network. Really want one of the 2 tiered ones set up with the gig rig G2. Thats the dream rig there!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ah yes, that was 1 of the 1st G2 boards we did as they had just come out.
    yeh nice board that was, bit big for me personally but some nice fx

• Mine's about that big. I've still not built it out fully. Am using a much smaller board these days as I use fewer sounds. :(
  • ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    ah yes, that was 1 of the 1st G2 boards we did as they had just come out.

Yeah, Nice as a studio board, but couldn't be using something that big live.
    My set up is smaller than that, a few strymons, EP booster, KOT, Suhr Riot, Origin FX Compressor and the CAE Wah. 
  • ash96 said:
    ah yes, that was 1 of the 1st G2 boards we did as they had just come out.

Yeah, Nice as a studio board, but couldn't be using something that big live.
    My set up is smaller than that, a few strymons, EP booster, KOT, Suhr Riot, Origin FX Compressor and the CAE Wah. 
    nice, yup keep it simple, i have some boards with the same kinda thing going on, just a few choice fx.
    yes i forgot his was for studio wasnt it, then yes big is fine.
    but for live, well i've seen some crazy big and small and all inbetween. sml to med is what i like best (well thats what she keeps telling me!) bumtish....