Just got a very useful and safe amp switching gadget.

What's Hot
ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
in Amps tFB Trader
I've been after one of these for a while. I have a few amp heads and a couple of cabs and consequently hate plugging and unplugging speaker cables when i want to use them. Leaving them wired up seemed to be the safest option so initially I made an Amp head switcher myself and whilst it works, it wasn't as sophisticated as this beast.

This is the AMPETE 444 Switcher, you can put in four cabs, four amps and have four fx loops wired into it. It allows you to switch between amp heads and cabs  live with no popping, and keeps the heads safe with a load applied when not connected to the speaker cab. It won't let you select an amp without a cab connected but you can run the amp head into two cabs. it can be midi switched too. I've only set it up simply at the moment but overall I am massively impressed. It is the perfect device for A/B ing different cabs with an amp.

http://i.imgur.com/vj9Sx4l.jpg

And apparently Pete thorn has one (used to be called the spyder)

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• edbolivaredbolivar Frets: 153
    I have been interested in one for a while and decided to pull the trigger on one before Christmas but Musik Produktiv have been out of stock for ages.
    Good to hear another endorsement, as I could not find much info on them.

I love the fact that it means that I can sell lots of pedals and a few cabs, as I have 4 pedal boards (2 identical boards) running through a number of heads and cabs to save me having to unplug and plug the same board into different amps whilst also switching cabs.

I was curious about whether you got increased noise levels or any noticeable difference in sound?

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6131
    tFB Trader
    edbolivar said:
    I have been interested in one for a while and decided to pull the trigger on one before Christmas but Musik Produktiv have been out of stock for ages.
    Good to hear another endorsement, as I could not find much info on them.

I was curious about whether you got increased noise levels or any noticeable difference in sound?

It definitely doesn't increase the noise levels at all, in fact as a bit of guitar gear Its not even sonically noticeable.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    Yeah, I've had my eye on them too. I think the Spyder was the 8 port one though could be wrong on that

The 8 port would be better in terms of amps, but from what I have read it does not allow you to a have a single pedal board that can switch in and out of the various heads loop, which really appeals to me.
    tFB Trader
    edbolivar said:
    The 8 port would be better in terms of amps, but from what I have read it does not allow you to a have a single pedal board that can switch in and out of the various heads loop, which really appeals to me.
    the 88studio doesnt have mid either, the 444 does so you are right
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    They seem expensive compared to the kahayan 8x4 but midi and the fx loop stuff does look good
    i already use 7 out of the 8 head slots in mine although I suspect just because It's there

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3042
    Looks pretty cool, but £1,300???

R.
    The Kahayan was the first unit of this type that I came across on a Tim Pierce video, and it looks cool too.
    when I last checked it was a fair bit cheaper than the Ampete, so almost went for it, but fear I would miss the Fx loop feature on the Ampete
  • mendelmendel Frets: 24
    Hi @edbolivar and @ThorpyFX, Did you experience any ground loop problems with either the Ampete or Kahayan units, and if so how did you solve them? Thanks!
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    That is cool and a very useful tool too, I am sure I need one in the demo room too.... ha ah

Since it has effects loop, is it actually a re-amper, not just a switcher?
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47
    looks like it but can't find amp-like specs (RMS power and speaker out impedance)
    tFB Trader
    That is cool and a very useful tool too, I am sure I need one in the demo room too.... ha ah

nope not a reamper, you put the effects in the loop of the 444 and then it will switch them into the four amps loops that you have.

mendel said:
    Hi @edbolivar and @ThorpyFX, Did you experience any ground loop problems with either the Ampete or Kahayan units, and if so how did you solve them? Thanks!
    zero noise issues with the ampete , however there is a Ground lift switch on the back that should solve any issues should they occur

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FenderishFenderish Frets: 47

ThorpyFX said:

nope not a reamper, you put the effects in the loop of the 444 and then it will switch them into the four amps loops that you have.

Oh yes indeed, sorry, I did not see the rear connector line well
  • mendelmendel Frets: 24
    Thank you @ThorpyFX that is good to hear.
    Never had a problem with the ampete.
    using the newish Mesa unit now as it switches between 2 heads and the fx loop, which is all i need.