Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What level of talent...

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
Not sure this is the right place, but,

What level of ability would you look for in a Bass Player when:

- jamming informally
- playing in a covers/function band
- playing in an originals band

I've been playing a wide variety of instruments live and recorded for probly over 25 years - and played bass in a functions band for about 4 years in the past.

Having moved recently I've not been in a band since (2 yrs now) but want to get back into it on bass.

I am just trying to gauge where I need to get to before I start making and arse of myself with others. Of course, finding others will probly be the biggest issue!
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Can you turn up on time?  If yes you're already better than 50% of all musicians I've met.

Ability to play the parts is a given, beyond that the most important thing is personality (fitting in with everyone else) and being happy at the same commitment level - doesn't matter if that's casual or serious it just won't work if there are people with different visions for what the band is
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Can you turn up on time?  If yes you're already better than 50% of all musicians I've met.

Ability to play the parts is a given, beyond that the most important thing is personality (fitting in with everyone else) and being happy at the same commitment level - doesn't matter if that's casual or serious it just won't work if there are people with different visions for what the band is
    When you say ability to play the parts - from a bass perspective what level of complexity do you like to hear, or is it all about timing and ability to fit in the mix?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    If you've played in a functions band for that period of time you're probably capable already. In an originals band writing great parts and playing them with good timing and feel requires relatively little technical proficiency but is hard to master. Any videos or recordings of your playing you'd like to share? 
    No, no videos or the like - bass has been a relatively recent re-pickup. 

I have written plenty of parts on other instruments for originals over the years but not bass. I'm trying to gauge how much more time I need to put in before getting out there 
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    Have you a fuzz pedal? Yes? Welcome aboard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72312
    DesVegas said:
    Have you a fuzz pedal? Yes? Welcome aboard.
    Are you talking about me again? :)

If I've managed to be in gigging bands as a bass player then the level of actual musical talent required is not high…

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

I think part of my problem is confidence tbh. 

Well, that and not actually knowing any musicians around here at all.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    To some extent it's doing it: if you find you are struggling to keep up or they are struggling to keep up with you then  maybe keep on looking. But as has been said if you aren't a dick then you're probably fine. I'd also say backing vocals are a big advantage. My singing voice is terrible but I'll do shouty bits and that brings probably as much to the band as my guitar playing. 
    The most regular gigging musician I know is a man of singularly little musical talent but he has worked out a set that works for him, is organised,  has the right gear ( not expensive gear but it does the job he needs), has links on social media, etc, and is in a duo getting two decent paid gigs per week. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Being in several bands and also running a promotions company and venues... I actually don't think talent has much to do with it... bass player or not.

As someone mentioned above, turning up on time, having some idea of timing and enthusiasm I feel far outweigh compentence as a bass player. I've seen bands who couldn't hold a candle to anything "technical" rip the roof off!

for me talent lies within stage presence and enthusiasm. People are after a show... most of the audience don't give a shit and most don't even notice timing issues.

my biggest issue is with people who feel like they don't put a foot wrong and still wang on stage hard..

Cover bands to me don't come on the scale of talent... anyone can learn to play someone elses riffs and lines.... given enough time anyone can learn a song.. note for note - if youre determined enough...and cover band players think they're the God given..

But then of course we have talent like Victor Wooten but hes a force unto himself.

If a bass player "gets it" turns up and puts the effort in that's good enough for me... and a lot of bands - as it should be.

surely talent is only time spent?
  • Dude if you wanna play bass don't measure yourself against others - just go and do it and worry about the other stuff later.

fuck it.
    Thanks @zenzeypher - useful words, and good encouragement.

I really do need to fuck it and go get out there again. It's not like I've never turned up and played live countless times before. Ok, so it was 20 odd years ago when I had a Bass slung round my neck, but I've played live with instruments that could go wrong in a much bigger way and managed it. 

Meh. I need to stop fucking around. I now need to find more middle aged fuckers around me who fancy making a racket.
  • Sounds like you're more than technically capable.

For me, I want to play with a musician with a bass not a bass player. Listen. Don't play loudly all the time. Groove. Be sympathetic.

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    Sounds like you're more than technically capable.

For me, I want to play with a musician with a bass not a bass player. Listen. Don't play loudly all the time. Groove. Be sympathetic.

R.
    Funnily enough, I would consider myself a musician first, and bass just happens to be an instrument I enjoy playing a lot. For me, it's about understanding a song, picking harmonic lower tones that complement, shape and add to the expression and tone of the song and adding to the mix to bring breadth and depth. 

Every instrument I've played has required such delicate dynamics handling that it's sort of built in now - I actually think dynamics is more important than technical speed or whatever. 

Well, if anyone fancies a jam or needs a musician who happens to wield a bass then let me know ;)
    edited February 2017
    Duplicate post due to twattishiness
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

Yeah wouldn't overthink it to be honest. Work out what you want. If it's covers then it'll be easy enough if you can learn the parts. If it's originals, then even better. If you wrote it, it can't be wrong!

gusman2x said:

Yeah wouldn't overthink it to be honest. Work out what you want. If it's covers then it'll be easy enough if you can learn the parts. If it's originals, then even better. If you wrote it, it can't be wrong!

I've written plenty of stuff in the past that's not wrong, but many may argue it's wrong ;)
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    Reliability. Absolutely F*cking number one priority. 

You can fudge the rest....

In all seriousness, Reliability to turn up to rehearsals and gigs on time is the number one priority, bass players are legendarily flakey so buck that trend and I wouldn't care if you were a beginner or a musical virtuoso as long as you could lock in with the drummer and play a solid groove together.  

And being a nice bloke who everyone wants to go for a pint with after is a big plus too!
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • For me, the most important part of being a bass player is locking in with the drummer and driving the thing - I've known too many bass players and drummers where it just feels like they're playing along with the band, rather than dictating the rhythm. My two favourite bits of advice for bass players that I heard were "don't mess up the groove. Mess up the notes if you must, but don't mess up the groove" I've always tried to bear that in mind when playing bass. My other favourite was some advice from bass legend Bernard Edwards: "You can go where the fuck you want. Just make sure you're back in time for the one"!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • There is a huge difference between very simple bass playing and poor bass playing.
     A simple bassline, from a player who can't do anything flash but who CAN play in time is all you need.

And as @EricTheWeary says, backing vocals are a huge plus.
     Make  more impact on the fullness of the sound and the way the band comes across than any fancy pants instrumental wizardry.

• Every instrument I've played has required such delicate dynamics handling that it's sort of built in now - I actually think dynamics is more important than technical speed or whatever. 
    Wise words.  So many musicians fail to understand dynamics.