Line level and connecting an "amp" to a home hi-fi

What's Hot
fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
Can anyone enlighten me please? I have a Blues Cube at home, and just out of interest connected the 1/4" line out to my aging Denon hi-fi. The cable I have is a stereo mini-jack to dual RCA, which I have used with total success when connected to one of those Apple wifi thingys when streaming iTunes. Admittedly I had to use a 1/4" adaptor on the mini-jack, which may well be flaky, but the sound seemed lifeless and the volume on the Denon needed pushing up past half-way.

I assume the "aux" input source which I have been using to stream is the correct one and there should be enough of a level? It could be the 1/4" adaptor actually, when I use it on the headphones it came with the sound does seem to lack something.

I ask because I'm getting my old separates back from my parents soon, and I want to set this hi-fi up in the spare room where my guitar stuff is. So my grand plan is to get hold of some sort of modeller to run through the separates and out of the hi-fi speakers, hence wanting to find out if this method still feels sufficiently "real" to be satisfying to play.

Thanks muchly for any advice!
Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
My feedback thread is here.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71953
    It may be that they've overdone the speaker emulation on the Line Out - that could make the sound a bit dull and lifeless. Not sure about the volume - it should have plenty, and the Aux input is the right one. Is the Roland turned up far enough?

If you don't have a turntable connected, you could try the Phono input - that will have a lot more gain and a different EQ that will beef things up a bit, although it will also increase noise. Be careful not to overdrive the Phono preamp or it will sound very nasty.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Thanks @ICBM, yes it does have a phono input, I believe for MM which beefs the signal up more than an MC preamp I think. I have read on forums that it was possible to get the line out sounding very close to the miked amp, so I reckon I need to try a 1/4" to RCA cable as well as I have a feeling that could be the culprit.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Be very careful putting guitar through hi fi speakers. The HF, especially distorted mid to HF can burn out tweeters.

Yes, the emulation will help but treat such a setup as low level practice only and while I am here, be VERY careful with a bass geeetar!

N.B. There are pedals with EM outputs. A particularly good range of such must be about second hand now?

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks @ecc83. What is EM please? 
    edited February 2017
    ecc83 said:

Be very careful putting guitar through hi fi speakers. The HF, especially distorted mid to HF can burn out tweeters.

Yes, the emulation will help but treat such a setup as low level practice only and while I am here, be VERY careful with a bass geeetar!

Indeed. I blew my first pair of hi-fi speakers like that - although more accurately, I was using the hi-fi as a "bedroom PA" with a couple of mates round with another guitar and a bass, all going straight in through one of those little passive line mixers into it! It sounded dreadful anyway, so we didn't really notice it was getting worse for quite a while :). Blew both tweeters and one of the woofers. Luckily they were only some cheap Sanyo things from an old 'music centre' I'd picked up… so it wasn't too painful a lesson. I had no idea it was a problem before that, I was only about 17.

It's less likely to cause trouble if you're using an emulated source since that will take off the most damaging frequencies - they're the ones a guitar speaker doesn't really reproduce anyway, which is why it sounds bad just DI'ing without emulation.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    edited February 2017
    Ah I see. The Blues Cube's output is cab emulated so I guess my speakers should be mostly safe.

Just seems like a workable solution, with me possibly selling the Blues Cube and running through the hi-fi with a modeller of some sort. I may then, down the line, buy some proper monitors.
    With an emulated source at talking/TV volume it will be fine. What not to do is turn it up to mates-are-round-and-parents-are-out volume ;).

• I see. Yes I never turn up very loud, also the hi-fi speakers will be nearer my ear level so even less reason to go too loud.
  • Well, I recently bought a Yamaha THR100 and that has an XLR out, so I bought an XLR-to-dual-RCA lead and it sounds pretty good so could be something worth pursuing.