Fractal Axe FX standard 1st version

What's Hot
fnptfnpt Frets: 744
edited February 2017 in FX
I'm considering upgrading my 11r and looking into alternatives. The Helix and AX8 are the more obvious alternatives but because they are in my view still a bit too expensive I was looking for the previous versions of the Axe Fx. I have a Beringher midi foot controller which works fine with my 11r and would also work with the fx so the rack version is fine.

However, looking on ebay, there doesn't seem to be many around for sale and the ones that I found are almost as expensive as an Helix: £950 for a standard, £1,200 for an Ultra? I can get an Helix for £1,250 and less second hand!
____
"You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Keeeemmmppppeerrrrr
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • When I got my first Eleven Rack, it was a choice between that and the AxeFX Standard - I honestly thought the 11R sounded better than the AxeFX. It also has the USB interface functionality, which was a massive plus for me.

Ultimately, it comes down to what you think the AxeFX Standard does for you which the 11R doesn't. Also, is it for live stuff, or home recording?
    <space for hire>
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 744
    edited February 2017
    @digitalscream It's just for home use and I do find the 11r very convenient and easy to use.

Unfortunately the PT LE version that comes with it is no longer supported by AVID for the new mac's, but the main reason to look at other modellers is to get better sounding modulation and in that respect I find your opinion of the 11r vs Axe Fx interesting.

I've never tried the Axe fx but was convinced that the sounds were miles ahead of the 11r.

____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26559
    edited February 2017
    fnpt said:
    It's just for home use and I do find the 11r very convenient and easy to use.

Unfortunately the PT LE version that comes with it is no longer supported by AVID for the new mac's, but the main reason to look at other modellers is to get better sounding modulation and in that respect I find your opinion of the 11r vs Axe Fx interesting.

You know you can get all the interface functionality (including the re-amping) using other DAWs? I used mine with Reaper, no problems. The standalone editor was pretty damn handy when it was finally released, though.

You do have to bear in mind that the AxeFX Standard is, like the 11R, no longer supported. Admittedly it has less bugs in it, though
    fnpt said:

I've never tried the Axe fx but was convinced that the sounds were miles ahead of the 11r.

Probably worth asking yourself why you were convinced...I personally felt they sounded a lot less natural than the 11R's tones. Also...if you're using it with a DAW, you should try the 11R with Two Notes Wall of Sound III - I found that it sounded much better (although the 11R Expansion Pack cabs were a massive improvement on the originals).

It's quite possible that just getting yourself a pedal like the Zoom MS70CDR and putting it in the loop might solve your modulation issue, and would be a much less expensive mistake should you not like it.
    <space for hire>
  • If you're plugging into a computer, do you use your modulation before or after distortion?  If after you could just use a plugin.
    That is all food for thought guys. Thanks.
    ____
    edited February 2017
    Just a quick update: I've managed to record into garage band using the 11r sounds and I can even mix the modulation from garage band with the 11r.

I am therefore uninstalling Pro Tools First (what a piece of crap compared with the full version of PT) and I'm going to hang on to this solution for a while to see how I like it. In the future I may get one or two good pedals to put in the loop of the 11r as well as cabinet impulses and be done with it.

Thanks for advice @guitarfishbay @digitalscream ;;;- I'm saving some money for now.
    ____
  • i've seen original Axe FX Stds go for £600 so keep looking

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4721
    edited February 2017
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    edited February 2017
    Hopefully they will support the product fir some time and not give up on it like they did with the 11r. I am not that well impressed with the quality of AVID's customer service.
    ____