Focusrite 2i2 + Reaper recording level issue.

Hi all,

I've noticed while recording guitar in Reaper (guitar lead straight into the focusrite), I can't adjust the levels. As in, I seem to get one hot signal at a certain level on Reaper, almost going into the red, and whether I adjust the level on the track on Reaper or the level on the Focusrite, it doesn't seem to affect the signal going in.

Once I've recorded something, I can then adjust the level in Reaper.

At a loss?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Hi all,

I've noticed while recording guitar in Reaper (guitar lead straight into the focusrite), I can't adjust the levels. As in, I seem to get one hot signal at a certain level on Reaper, almost going into the red, and whether I adjust the level on the track on Reaper or the level on the Focusrite, it doesn't seem to affect the signal going in.

Read of this before with the 2i2. It has a very odd gain structure for a guitar input.
    Max input is a puny -3dBu that is just 0.548 volts. Even a modest chord chunk on a Strat should produce that. Worse still is that the gain is +10 to +55dB and that upper figure is a crazy amount of gain for a guitar input. Note too that the gain cannot be turn to zero.

In contrast the NI KA6 has a max input of +8dBu = 2volts and max gain is a more sensible +21dB. You can also fade to zero. 

I presume you could back off the guitar volume but I know a lot of folks don''t like doing that as it often robs the high frequencies, so called "tone sucking"!

One answer would be a 10dB high Z attenuator best fitted within a mtr of the AI jack. I could do you some numbers if you can build it?

Dave.

Once I've recorded something, I can then adjust the level in Reaper.

At a loss?
    Why do I keep coking these quotes up? Don't have a problem with other forums!
  • Thanks for the reply. So, I can't alter this at all. :(
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631
    Thanks for the reply. So, I can't alter this at all. :(
    Only by backing off the guitar volume AFAICS?

Dave.
  • Thanks Dave, I'll try it.
    It's not a major major deal right now, as I'm just using it for ideas more than anything fancy dan.
  • Are you using it set to instrument? If not then try flicking the pad on.

Otherwise use a stomp with a lineout on channel 2 set to line level?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Yeah, trying to use it to set the instrument, but it seems to be totally bypassed....same with the fader on the channel on Reaper.

I can only use the reaper fader on playback.
  • Reaper isn't controlling the input gain, the knob on the interface is.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Yeah, but it doesn't at all, that's my problem.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1388
    Read back over my posts and they don't make sense!

Essentially the gain dial on the focusrite doesn't work. I can have it to zero, and still get a guitar signal into the PC....
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    So when you turn the gain knob up on the 2i2 (fully colockwise), there's no change in the levels? 

edited May 2014
    Yes, no change at all.

The signal coming in (Reaper) is fairly hot as well. It wouldn't be distorting, but the only way I can control levels is using the fader on the channel on Reaper, or turning the volume down on the guitar.

Not a major thing, but would be nice to be able to solve this issue....

I am able to switch the instrument on and off on the 2i2 in terms of a monitor, but I can't control the monitor level either when I am getting it back through headphones.

I am assuming it must be something I am missing in the settings, but I'm not too sure....

I am able to control overall volume on the focusrite.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Contact Focusrite, they're good for customer support.  

IIRC you probably will get a hot signal with the 2i2 regardless, it doesn't have a lot of headroom plus there is no pad.  I have a 2i4 which I use for mobile recording and I always end up using the pad when recording myself playing a humbucker guitar.
    Never even thought of the pad, or whether to check! 

I should contact focusrite...
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    This is a well-documented problem with the 2i2. The 2i4 doesn't have this problem and one of the main reasons I opt-ed for it instead. Dont think anyone has found a way around it. On the up side, recording with a mic will just about always sound better.

To read up threads on this, Google: 2i2 guitar clipping
    I think I may be making headway by just using the "line" mode instead of "inst" mode, but........

When I have the guitar in "inst" mode, the halo glows green when the gain knob is to zero. There is still a signal coming through.

When I turn up the input knob up, the halo starts to glow red, so there is a very hot signal, and you can hear it distort.

The monitor dial seems to be bypassed as well.

When I switch it to "line" mode, this does seem to act like a pad, and I can turn the gain knob up halfway or more and it's still green. So it seems this way, I can control the input volume some more (in "line" mode). This is good I think.

However, the monitor dial is still bypassed in this mode as well....