After Market Robot Tuners

What's Hot
Hi

I've never modded a guitar before, or done anything other than a string change to one (Which is struggle enough!).
I'm interested in the robot/auto tuning kit that comes with some of the Gibsons/Epiphones but I don't have room or funds for a new guitar.

I have a Vintage(Brand) Les Paul which I bought a while a go and has been in need of some love ever since. One of the things i'd like to look at doing is fitting one of these tuners.

Has anyone ever done it, and if so do you know where to get the bits from and what bits are needed to perform this "upgrade"

Bob
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    edited February 2017
    You buy them from one of the many people who have taken them off their 2015 Gibsons when they got fed up with all the problems they cause...

But first you need to check that the spacing of the machineheads on the Vintage corresponds *exactly* to that on a Gibson with the tuners - both along and across the headstock. If it doesn't, it won't fit unless you go to an enormous amount of trouble to plug and redrill all the machinehead holes.

To cut a long story short, just don't.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok, That sounds like a bit of a hassle!
    Might have to rethink that then. and possibly consider moving on a guitar to buy one with it pre fitted.
  • If you have money then you can buy the system from Tronical
  • eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    Ok, That sounds like a bit of a hassle!
    Might have to rethink that then. and possibly consider moving on a guitar to buy one with it pre fitted.
    Plenty of 2015's Gibsons floating about (check the Facebook gear pages if none on here) but be warned about the neck width. Definitely find one to play first.

As for the GForce. There have been plenty on sale here in the past. Might be worth putting a WTB thread in the sales classifieds. Tronical do templates you can print out to check if the model of GForce will fit

http://www.tronicaltune.com/uploads/TronicalTune_PCB_Template.pdf

Be warned though. A lot of Guitarists have been disappointed with them and have had issues so if you can have a play with one first to make sure it's for you. (The Gibson 2017/16 HP models have them so you should be able to have a play with one in any guitar shop stocking those or 2015s)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks, I'll see if my local store has any in with the tuners fitted, The reason i haven't gone with a 2015 model is that I'm not a fan of a wide neck.

The problem is that the wide neck was introduced to allow the fitting of the adjustable metal nut which was to fix the tuning problems caused by the robot tuners with a standard nut...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I guess that makes sense! This is seeming more and more like an idea I need to scrap. I'll just save up for a Variax instead!
  • What is your reasoning for wanting the robot tuners?

• Easy alternate tuning, and the ability to quickly and easily change and experiment.
    I am lazy, very lazy and having to manually tune to something and then tune back up to standard is just too annoying so I just don't bother.

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Easy alternate tuning, and the ability to quickly and easily change and experiment.
    I am lazy, very lazy and having to manually tune to something and then tune back up to standard is just too annoying so I just don't bother.

This is why I use a cheap old spare guitar, for the alternate tuning etc. (Obviously doesn't help if you want to use your best guitar for all tunings, but something to consider.)

Going a little off topic I'm sure in a few years better systems will be available anyway; gadgetry seems to be heading that way.

• Yeah, this was for my downstairs guitar, the one I always have to hand and play when the little ones asleep, or in bed. So don't want a second or third guitar downstairs.

I'll have to live with it for now and then see what else comes onto the market!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16647
    Easy alternate tuning, and the ability to quickly and easily change and experiment.

Sounds perfect for you and if you can confirm the fit before investing it would be worth a go.

it is less stable and obviously less reliable too.  That's always going to be true when you compare a simple mechanism that does one thing to a complex system that offers extra features... but it does work and is fully reversible if you don't like it

do you need it?   No.
    is it perfect? No.
    can you gig it?  Yes, but take a backup guitar and tuner.
    WezV said:

do you need it?   No.
    is it perfect? No.
    can you gig it?  Yes, but take a backup guitar and tuner.
    I suppose it depends how many different tunings you use. If only one, you may as well just take another guitar tuned to that. If more than one then it maybe becomes more useful.