NAD Laney LC15R

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746

So fancied a small amp for home use and the odd rehearsal or small gig.

Found a Laney LC15R going cheap so bought it and it's arrived. Looking forward to taking it home tonight and giving it a blast.

Looking on here it's been mentioned that a speaker upgrade might be in order. Apparently they were shipped with HH speakers. This one however has a Celestion Tube G10 30 in there. Would this mean it's possibly been upgraded already?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Congratulations on a great little amp - yes mine came with an HH so either they swapped the stock speaker or yours has been upgraded!

It would not surprise me the HH was not great!

Also check if you have plastic power valve sockets – mine did and the, rather predictable, combination of plastic value bases + EL84 = melted socket.

If you have plastic ones I’d get them swapped for ceramic ones as soon as possible!

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    They are great wee amps. Easily keep up with a drummer when cranked! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rico said:
    They are great wee amps. Easily keep up with a drummer when cranked! 
    Yup - I stick mine through a 4x12 every so often - lots of fun :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had one for a while, it never sounded any good through it's own speaker (the HH), always thin and brittle.  Through any decent cab though it's a different beast entirly.  I'd imagine the Celestion is a big help, but try it though something else for a whole different world.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    edited February 2017
    I had one for a while, it never sounded any good through it's own speaker (the HH), always thin and brittle.  Through any decent cab though it's a different beast entirly.  I'd imagine the Celestion is a big help, but try it though something else for a whole different world.
    I have the Laney 15w Cub 12R, upgraded with JJ tubes & a Celestion Vintage 30 - sounds really good, and darned loud!  But I've also played it through a 2x12 (wow!) and a 4x12 (double wow!!).  Particularly through the 4x12 cab, I just couldn't believe how huge and full it sounded and that what I was hearing was from only a 15w amp!   :o :)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2355
    edited February 2017
    gubble said:

So fancied a small amp for home use and the odd rehearsal or small gig.

Found a Laney LC15R going cheap so bought it and it's arrived. Looking forward to taking it home tonight and giving it a blast.

Looking on here it's been mentioned that a speaker upgrade might be in order. Apparently they were shipped with HH speakers. This one however has a Celestion Tube G10 30 in there. Would this mean it's possibly been upgraded already?

Not necessarily. I can't remember what specific speaker it used to come stock with, but at one point the Laneys came stock (mainly) with Celestions, not HHes, so it's possible that the speaker yours has is the stock speaker.
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

I'm very happy with it - not really sure about the higher gain sounds but clean and especially at the point of breakup it's wonderful.

For £85 a proper bargain.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4723
    gubble said:

I'm very happy with it - not really sure about the higher gain sounds but clean and especially at the point of breakup it's wonderful.

For £85 a proper bargain.

That's really good for an LC15R...well done that man! ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Lovely amps. I put a Greenback in mine and it was a big upgrade on the crap HH one.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746

Bumping an old thread here.

As a band we are now looking at Micing the amps through our new PA so I'm going to give the LC15 a blast at rehearsal - it could save my back rather than carrying a flightcased Fender HRD everywhere

• Got one for £50, fantastic amp especially at home!!!

• FYI - it's worth checking the EL84 valve bases – Laney, in their infinite wisdom, fitted some of the runs with plastic bases. What happens with the EL84’s is entirely predictable, they melt the valve bases – I’d get them changed if they are plastic for ceramic ones!

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    They have a tendency to cook the PCB and cause solder joint and track failures as well. And blow output transformers...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    The output transformers are definitely marginal, I have changed quite a few over the years, but not a massively expensive job as straightforward to get at. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    DJH83004 said:
    The output transformers are definitely marginal, I have changed quite a few over the years, but not a massively expensive job as straightforward to get at. 
    TAD do better-quality replacement transformers, but they cost about the same as the amp is worth in my opinion.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    ICBM said:
    DJH83004 said:
    TAD do better-quality replacement transformers, but they cost about the same as the amp is worth in my opinion.
    totally agree it wouldn't warrant a TAD (especially with shipping), but lots of EL84 P/P transformers out there at more reasonable prices.