Anyone using DV Mark amps?

Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
All transistor (makes sign of the cross ;) ) DV Mark Little Jazz and Jazz 12 combos. Stocked by Andertons. You Tube demos sound OK. Anyone here using one or tried one. Just curious......

They come from the same guys who make the Mark Bass amps.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• koss59koss59 Frets: 846
    I bought the Micro 50 head as a backup amp.
    Because of this I've never used it on a gig but it sounded good at home.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/

• I was looking at these the other day.  I've just bought a Boss Katana, which is great, but I'm in a new acoustic band with double bass and the Katana seems overkill, in size mainly, for the low volume we play.  I'm only playing clean as well really, so the little Jazz is appealing.  I might try one tomorrow.  I've heard the fan sound can be an issue.
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    edited February 2017

I was looking at these the other day.  I've just bought a Boss Katana, which is great, but I'm in a new acoustic band with double bass and the Katana seems overkill, in size mainly, for the low volume we play.  I'm only playing clean as well really, so the little Jazz is appealing.  I might try one tomorrow.  I've heard the fan sound can be an issue.

If you do please let us know what you think, particularly if you can compare the 8" and 12" versions.

Yes, the fan noise might rule out its use for recording and possibly for miking up live but it has got an xlr out.

• Jimbro66 said:

I was looking at these the other day.  I've just bought a Boss Katana, which is great, but I'm in a new acoustic band with double bass and the Katana seems overkill, in size mainly, for the low volume we play.  I'm only playing clean as well really, so the little Jazz is appealing.  I might try one tomorrow.  I've heard the fan sound can be an issue.

If you do please let us know what you think, particularly if you can compare the 8" and 12" versions.

Yes, the fan noise might rule out its use for recording and possibly for miking up live but it has got an xlr out.

Will do but I think the shop only have the 8".  
  • Funnily enough I spent the day with one of the UK reps for DV Mark a few days ago, having a play and giving feedback on some of the offerings, The SIlverGen15 & Multiamp. We had some very strong amps to compare too, and I was really impressed with both. The SIlvergen is a 15w EL84 (I think...) Head, and it has the thud I really like in a big amp, but is tiny and weighs nothing. The Multi, once I got my head around the controls, was really easy to use, and was pretty damn convincing!

Not the amps you mentioned but happy to answer questions on either of these. I may be able to get my hands on demo models of other stuff very soon! They will be at the guitar show with the full range it think....
    koss59 said:
    I bought the Micro 50 head as a backup amp.
    Because of this I've never used it on a gig but it sounded good at home.

Thanks for that info @Norwegian_Blue. Do you happen to know if all DV Mark amps are fan-cooled or just certain models, like the jazz range or other ss types?

• Just tried the Little Jazz.  Liked it, didn't sound small at all.  I used my Gibson Midtown, got some great smoky wes sounds and also some good BB blues.  The EQ is powerful, with the mids down you get a kind of woody tone with plenty of springiness, would up past half brings in more of a barking Jazz tone.   Reverb is okay, nice to have on up to half, but I wouldn't turn up high for Peter Green moments.   Still adds a bit of space like any reasonable reverb should.

menamestom said:

Just tried the Little Jazz.  Liked it, didn't sound small at all.  I used my Gibson Midtown, got some great smoky wes sounds and also some good BB blues.  The EQ is powerful, with the mids down you get a kind of woody tone with plenty of springiness, would up past half brings in more of a barking Jazz tone.   Reverb is okay, nice to have on up to half, but I wouldn't turn up high for Peter Green moments.   Still adds a bit of space like any reasonable reverb should.

Interesting. Did you find the fan noise intrusive?

Thanks @Norwegian_Blue.

• From DV Mark:

'Pretty much ALL the heads and combos are fan cooled with the exception of the Gen 15 head and combo. This includes ALL the other valve heads (Triple Six, Maragold and Little 40). Not sure about the new kit which was launched at NAMM...'
  • Jimbro66 said:

menamestom said:

Just tried the Little Jazz.  Liked it, didn't sound small at all.  I used my Gibson Midtown, got some great smoky wes sounds and also some good BB blues.  The EQ is powerful, with the mids down you get a kind of woody tone with plenty of springiness, would up past half brings in more of a barking Jazz tone.   Reverb is okay, nice to have on up to half, but I wouldn't turn up high for Peter Green moments.   Still adds a bit of space like any reasonable reverb should.

Thanks @Norwegian_Blue.

No, but I was in a shop with background noise so hard to assess.  I could hear it if I put my head to the back of the amp, but hard to say if it would be intrusive.  I doubt it would be an issue close micing with a dynamic mic.  
    Jimbro66 said:

menamestom said:

Thanks @Norwegian_Blue.

No, but I was in a shop with background noise so hard to assess.  I could hear it if I put my head to the back of the amp, but hard to say if it would be intrusive.  I doubt it would be an issue close micing with a dynamic mic.  
    OK, thanks for that. It sounds like it would be worth my while to drive to Andertons and try one out. I think they have both versions but I'll check what's in the shop before driving there.
    From DV Mark:

'Pretty much ALL the heads and combos are fan cooled with the exception of the Gen 15 head and combo. This includes ALL the other valve heads (Triple Six, Maragold and Little 40). Not sure about the new kit which was launched at NAMM...'
    Thanks again for the info.