high visibility side dot markers?

What's Hot
I like the idea of doing a fretboard without front fret markers, which I think looks really cool. The problem that I have though is that my eyesight isn't so good these days and I'm not sure that the tiny side dots will be good enough for me to navigate by.

Has anyone seen higher visibility/larger side dots ever? I won't be going the LED route but I'm wondering if there is a way to make them more visible?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30901
    Health and Safety issue for the drummer, is it?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    I just replaced the side dots on my Epi 335 Dot Studio, which ironically had no dots on the fretboard and a dull matte finish with really unclear side dots, the original side dots were about 1.5mm, so I relaced them with 2mm white ABS plastic rod, which is very white indeed and shows up really clearly against the rosewood, I also installed  front dots with 3mm rod, worked well, if you want a couple of rods I have several spare.......photo later as I'm just off out.....

link as an example of what I used

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281850270316?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    edited February 2017
    Have a look into luminlay if you want something that glows.  Dead easy to fit

after that, it would be standard white plastic as the best option for visibility, you can always look for a larger size plastic rod if you want bigger
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I like the Luminlay ones.  I know you can buy cheaper, but for light or dark visibility, the larger of the black surrounded ones are the dog's b******s:

The smaller ones are pretty decent too:

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    WezV said:

Does Luminlay glow under UV black light?

• Grunfeld said:
    WezV said:

Does Luminlay glow under UV black light?

Yes - that's all the Luminlay torches are, to be honest.  However, the glow doesn't stay very bright for very long (with either) - but actually, if it's very dark you can still see enough faint glow for a decent while.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Cheers.  I've got a UV LED stage light which really works well on my day-glo pink RG!