1988 Rat 2 a component possibly fritzed?

What's Hot
builttospillbuilttospill Frets: 456
edited February 2017 in FX
So I was checking out the circuit board of my recently purchased vintagey Rat 2 and on close inspection it looks like one of the components looks either damaged or possibly burnt out.
I am not an expert in electronics or circuits but can anyone tell me if this is something to be concerned about? is it worth getting fixed? Also can anyone tell me what the pictured component is? The pedal works but the OCD in me is now wondering if I'm not getting the full potential from this pedal. please see link/picture below, I've highlighted the culprit with a red circle. As always any help would be greatly appreciated!

http://i.imgur.com/7jbOXeG.jpg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I think it might be the 47 Ohm  series resistor on the 9v rail that has got scorched. If it works, then it's not open circuit (it would be completely dead if it was) but it's worth replacing it with a new one, as it may well be physically fragile and could snap if the pedal is subjected to a jolt.
     I haven't managed to find a clear enough picture of a Rat 2 PCB of the same revision to get the resistor value off, as yet. I'll let you know as soon as I do.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Actually, I'm pretty certain it is the 47 Ohm resistor on the 9v rail, and it's a fairly common occurrence, caused by using the wrong polarity power supply.

My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • I think it might be the 47 Ohm  series resistor on the 9v rail that has got scorched. If it works, then it's not open circuit (it would be completely dead if it was) but it's worth replacing it with a new one, as it may well be physically fragile and could snap if the pedal is subjected to a jolt.
     I haven't managed to find a clear enough picture of a Rat 2 PCB of the same revision to get the resistor value off, as yet. I'll let you know as soon as I do.
    Thanks for looking into this... would you say it's a cheapish fix? There's a couple of places fairly near me that might be able to help out... guitaraid in Putney do pedal repairs... I'll try and get a better photo up later. 
  • Or failing that... can anyone on here help with repair and maybe give it a good checking over? I'll pay of course.
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    edited February 2017
    Replacing one resister really should be a very quick and cheap fix - if that is the only problem. Its like asking a plumber to fix a simple dripping tap - you might end up paying more for them to turn up than for the actual parts and labor. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    To be perfectly honest I'd poke it with a screwdriver, and if it doesn't fall apart I would leave it alone.

And I'm really quite OCD about that sort of thing too...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723

I have a flat fee of £22 + parts for pedal repairs.
  • jpfamps said:

I have a flat fee of £22 + parts for pedal repairs.

Resurrecting this thread... If I was to have the above named 'cooked' resistor replaced do you think it will have much of an impact on the sound of pedal... complete OCD gets the better of me most of the time.... I used the pedal for a rehearsal the other day... and really pushed it for a lead tone... to me it sounded a little brittle or even stuttery sounding... like it was strugging a ltitle. .. not sure if it was my Crazy Tube Circuits Stardust Blackface not liking it ... at reasonable home volume it sounded nice and thick and how I think a rat should sound
  • steersteer Frets: 1159
    I would be wondering why a simple resister would be fried in the first place. 

Is it the fuse syndrome? As in my toaster keeps blowing fuses, therefore these fuses are faulty? Or is it a symptom of something altogether more dark and sinister? 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    steer said:
    I would be wondering why a simple resister would be fried in the first place.
    Because someone connected it to the wrong polarity power supply - which is a fairly easy mistake given that the Rat has an old-fashioned tip-positive 3.5mm jack. If that happens then the protection diode will conduct and there will be a voltage of 8.3V across the 47-ohm resistor (assuming a well-regulated 9V supply) which will produce about 1.5W - and it's a 0.5W resistor, so it will cook itself... though not always burn out completely unless it's left like that for a long time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson