Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amplifying modelling units

What's Hot
gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
There's probably a thread on this around but I couldn't locate it, sorry.

What amps are people using to run their modelling units (Axe, Helix, Kemper etc) through normal guitar cabs?

Is that a good way of using there units or is everyone doing direct to FoH?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't own one, but the 3 options are: FRFR Speaker (Floor Wedge, PA, etc...), SS Power Amp (Matrix, ISP), or a Valve Power Amp (Fryette Power Station, Mesa, Marshall).

The consensus is that the FRFR Speakers are the most practical, but can sound sterile and you should really use a Valve Power stage without Cab Emulation to get the right sound. 

SS Power Amps are somewhere in between, supposedly worse than Valve.
  • Cool, Ta.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4722
    edited February 2017
    I used to use a Pod XTLive for gigs - nearly always small enough that the backline needed to fill the room and didn't go through the PA. I got my most pleasing sounds with a 30W Atomic Reactor - providing an EL84 power amp stage to my Pod pre-amp with a guitar speaker inside the cabinet. Accurate models of the original amps? Who knows, but the most pleasing to my ears. 

More recently, I used a Fishman acoustic guitar amp (SS Power) to amplify an FX100 for practice sessions. 

I don't use a modeller any more, though.
  • I've got several amps and several modellers.  I've never been totally happy with combining the two.

Until this week when I tried something just by chance. I'd been considering just throwing my Line6 HD500 away because the thing is so annoying. But on whim tried something different with it.

I plugged it into the AUX input of my Orange Micro Terror. This way it was only using the power amp of the little amp. And for the first time in as long as I can remember the HD500 sounded really good though my 2x12. I had been thinking of buying an EHX 44 Magnum. But the Micro Terror is actually less expensive and it seems to work really well as a power-amp only option.  Obviously you'd want something beefier for an un-miced gig, but for home practice I'm really surprised how well it works.

I did need to find a 1/4" to 3.5mm adapters as the AUX input into the Micro Terror is 3.5mm. But otherwise this was a pretty cool option . I also realised - though haven't tried it - that using an A/B pedal into the amp's input and AUX would be  an easy way of switching between a clean and dirty sound from the amp.

Must try my Zoom G3 into the Micro Terror's AUX input next. 

• I don't own one, but the 3 options are: FRFR Speaker (Floor Wedge, PA, etc...), SS Power Amp (Matrix, ISP), or a Valve Power Amp (Fryette Power Station, Mesa, Marshall).

The consensus is that the FRFR Speakers are the most practical, but can sound sterile and you should really use a Valve Power stage without Cab Emulation to get the right sound. 

SS Power Amps are somewhere in between, supposedly worse than Valve.
    I don't own one either but the other option does seem to include running it into a guitar amp either in the front end or, more successfully, in the loop. Probably not the solution you want for your next world tour but if that's what you have already. Bass amps ( into guitar cab) also potentially good for this as they tend to have more clean headroom than guitar amps for the money. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Yeah, I've seen bass amps suggested a few times. Solid state, I guess. I could run something into the loop return of my Orange TH30 but I guess part of the advantage of having a modelling unit is not having to carry a 20kg valve amp about.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    I have one of the new Roland Jazz Chorus amps which the makers claim is great for modelling units. My POD HD500 sounds pretty good through it and the amp has the advantage that it can be connected to a PA so it could be used as a monitor whilst the sound is relayed to the PA system.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Just came across the Bluguitar Amp1 - looks like an interesting thing...off to look for a thread on that.  =)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590

Is that a good way of using there units or is everyone doing direct to FoH?
    People are increasingly going direct to FOH, even in pubs, because it's a reliable, reproducible sound, and the volume in the "stage" area isn't deafening. That leaves you with the question about how you monitor. Whether you want cabinets and valve amps depends on what you want to hear, and what you want to carry. I understand why people are reluctant to ditch valve amps and heavy cabinets. Personally I'm happy with a Matrix Q12 on a stand about five feet behind me. It's far enough away for me to hear a "developed" sound rather than a "close mic'd" sound, and loud enough to provide acoustic coupling with my guitar. My 2x12 valve combo hasn't left the house for five years.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    edited February 2017
    OK, Looks like the Bluguitar Amp1 hasn't knocked anyone's socks off as a standalone unit. I think I did read a review of the Amplifire where the guy was using an Amp1 as a loudener (presumably into the fx return?) but that was just coz he already had one and at over 500 quid I think it's not a great option for that.

Is there anything like the Magnum44 that is a bit more...serious?  =)
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    I use a Marshall 20/20 power amp with my Axe-Fx into a pair of Yamaha CBR-12 FRFR monitors, works beautifully 
  • Ss power amp into Guitar Cab with speaker emulation switched off. 
    Sounds awesome. 

11rack, Boogie preamp in 11r fx loop. rocktron power amp, Marshall 4x12 (picking up on Sunday, till then JetCity 2x12)
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    Sounds awesome. 

11rack, Boogie preamp in 11r fx loop. rocktron power amp, Marshall 4x12 (picking up on Sunday, till then JetCity 2x12)
    Which Rocktron, out of interest?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23942
    I run my Helix into the FX return of a 300W bass head, then into a Zilla 2x12. Bypasses the head preamp completely that way.

It sounds great and it's fekking loud.

It's a Tecamp Puma 300 - which only weighs 2.2 lb.
    Sounds awesome. 

Which Rocktron, out of interest?
    It's a Velocity 120, I'm aware they don't  have the best rep, but it sounds fine to me, till I can save up for a Marshall 20/20 or a Matrix, ideally a Mesa power amp, but they are hideously expensive.  
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4159
    One tip for the 20/20 is that it gets very hot, ideally get a rack case with an extra slot to help with airflow
  • I use a Matrix GT1000FX and regular cabs. I'd like a valve poweramp but I'm happy enough with it 
  • OK, Looks like the Bluguitar Amp1 hasn't knocked anyone's socks off as a standalone unit. I think I did read a review of the Amplifire where the guy was using an Amp1 as a loudener (presumably into the fx return?) but that was just coz he already had one and at over 500 quid I think it's not a great option for that.

I'm using an Amp1 into a FatCab and rather like it. For live work it's fine - decent sounds, easy to drive and small/light. I think you need to love it for the things it does that you do like, rather than hate it for the things it does that you don't like - which seems to be a common theme. 

If you plugged a modeller into the FX return of an Amp1 I think you'd still have the nanotube in the signal chain, but to buy one just to do that seems daft, like you say. 
  • sweepy said:
    One tip for the 20/20 is that it gets very hot, ideally get a rack case with an extra slot to help with airflow
    Yeh, I've a 6u rack with one 1u spare either side of the power amp, I suppose eventually I will get a Mesa power amp, and a computer fan to assist with airflow. 
  • OK, Looks like the Bluguitar Amp1 hasn't knocked anyone's socks off as a standalone unit. I think I did read a review of the Amplifire where the guy was using an Amp1 as a loudener (presumably into the fx return?) but that was just coz he already had one and at over 500 quid I think it's not a great option for that.

https://bobblepic.com/images/2017/02/03/IMG_1044.png

Someone was listening. There's a more powerful head version as well. Don't know when you can actually buy one though. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.