Line 6 Variax HD updates for all JTV models

What's Hot
johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
edited August 2013 in Guitar
I Just got an email from line 6 saying that a new free update to HD versions of all the guitar models are now available  and a new HD version of Workbench to boot. 

Links. 

Looks cool and I will be updating to the "bleeding edge" tomorrow and report back whether it is worth it or not, plus reporting any bugs.

Say what you like about Line 6 but they are at least good for extending functions and adding funcionality.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Thanks for the heads up.  Haven't see my email yet but will do the flash update the weekend.

:D

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I know what my job is tonight then!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    johnnyurq said:
     I will be updating to the "bleeding edge" tomorrow and report back whether it is worth it or not, plus reporting any bugs.

I shall wait for your report with interest ... don't cut yourself too badly ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2890
    Reports on the L6 forum are 90% positive.  It appears workbench has also had an upgrade making it easier to use.

• rich75rich75 Frets: 36

I did the update last night on my JTV-69.

Haven't had time to do anything with Workbench HD yet but it certainly looks a lot nicer.

As for the sounds, I've only played around for a few minutes but there seems to be a noticeable improvement there. First impression is that the models are more distinct from one another and sound a more convincing. I'll be using it at a gig tomorrow so will see how that goes, but so far so good.  :)

• rich75 said:

I did the update last night on my JTV-69.

Haven't had time to do anything with Workbench HD yet but it certainly looks a lot nicer.

As for the sounds, I've only played around for a few minutes but there seems to be a noticeable improvement there. First impression is that the models are more distinct from one another and sound a more convincing. I'll be using it at a gig tomorrow so will see how that goes, but so far so good.  :)

This all sounds fairly promising so far then! Great stuff!
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    edited August 2013
    Okidoki upgrade done on my JTV-59 and spent most of the day tinkering with it all.

I have to agree with @rich75 the new models are a very good improvement over the last iteration and plugged in raw to an amp (my DT-25) and an FRFR system for the acoustic models it is very convincing.

As well as a sound improvement the response of the models is improved subtly and when I put the JTV through the POD HD500 and DT-25 the difference was even more noticeable.

What I did was use some patches I had setup specifically for use with the POD HD500 into an FRFR system and also with the full kit and kaboodle or "dream rig" if you prefer.

The difference was definitely easily noticeable and more so compared to the raw directly plugged in JTV on a guitar cable.

Using patches for the HD500 & DT-25 that were appropriate and playing something in the correct context reinforced the improvement over the last firmware/models. Same for acoustic models via FRFR.

The HD models may lead to some extra tweaking of my patches because I reckon they can get even more in the zone with the new models and judicious use of the amp, EQ and FX.

But it is fair to say that it is an evolution and not revolution as I suspect newer hardware would be required for a massive improvement, but it is great that Line 6 are standing by it and giving us incremental updates and improvements. Props and kudos to them for that,

The great news is that so far no bugs to report apart from the caveat from the Line 6 website as shown below about saving any user created custom models,

Known issues:
    • Custom patches are not retained when updating to Variax HD. The Variax HD update will replace all of the presets in your James Tyler Variax guitars with all-new HD guitars. Variax HD introduces the new HD preset format to Workbench HD and the guitar. Be sure to backup any customer presets that you may have for future reference; however, note that Variax 1.X presets will not work with the 2.0 firmware. For a full list of Variax HD models, please visit line6.com.

As long as you do this all will be well, or you could recreate your custom models from scratch if you would prefer.

The new HD Workbench is pretty cool too and has many improvements over the earlier version and has a few more tricks up its sleeve, which is nice.

Having used and tinkered with Workbench HD I much prefer it over the older version so will be using it from now on in, The HD models cannot be seen on the older version so if you prefer it best not upgrade in any case, so you pays your money and take your choice.

In conclusion it is well worth doing the upgrade because even if it is not to your tastes (can't think why though) it is a snap to roll it back to V 1.91 and the older Workbench as Workbench HD does not require you to uninstall the older one.

So nothing to lose and all to gain.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27455
    Thanks for the update John.

Have just downloaded the updated Workbench (looks a *lot* better) and may have a go at upgrading the JTV later on.  Or tomorrow.

That arrived just in time ... I was thinking of moving the guitar on, this'll make sure I keep it for a bit longer (at least).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    I can heartily recommend the upgrade TTony and it is good to hear you are keeping it, for now in any case.

You are as fickle as me you know (and all GAS fiends too). 
    :D

Get a HD Pod and DT series amp then you would not sell until they launch the Variax MkIII. 
    ;)

Go on you know you want to.
    Here is a link with Line 6's Sean Halley showing off some of the new HD models for anyone interested.

http://www.guitarsite.com/news/software/variax-hd-upgrade/