Helix - Guitar & Bass - Which FRFR?

What's Hot
BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
Decided to get a cheap Rumble 500 for standalone Bass duties, but after much thought I think I may well just get a good FRFR solution to use with my Helix. I'm liking the tone for both Guitar and Bass so much that for live use I think I will stick the Helix in a flightcase and just go with that.

So, considering it's for both guitar and bass, would you recommend the Line6 L2 series, L3 series, or something else?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28153
    The L3 is very heavy and awkward to lug.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Sporky said:
    The L3 is very heavy and awkward to lug.
    Interesting, I was only considering it because of the x-over giving the other driver bass duties..

Does the L2 do the job for bass as well? Where PA is present I would go DI out from Helix and use the FRFR for monitoring..
    It's probably OK if you don't need to get it up stairs, but the length of it and the position of the handle combined with it being pretty darned heavy makes it a real pain for that.

I'd consider a little lightweight bass combo and EQ your guitar patches to suit. My Genz Shuttle is darned near as loud as the L3S was in a package less than a quarter of the size, and I can pick it up with one finger.
    Sporky said:
    It's probably OK if you don't need to get it up stairs, but the length of it and the position of the handle combined with it being pretty darned heavy makes it a real pain for that.

I'd consider a little lightweight bass combo and EQ your guitar patches to suit. My Genz Shuttle is darned near as loud as the L3S was in a package less than a quarter of the size, and I can pick it up with one finger.
    I didn't think a bass combo would be frfr tho?
    No, but it might not matter. You should be able to get good sounds with one.
    TBH I'm a bit torn.

I'm loving the tone I get both bass and guitar from the helix either with headphones or the Yamaha monitors I have. I guess I'm just after something that will give more of the same in a powered box for stage use. 

Ok, so I can chuck the helix out to FOH but I'm looking for a complimentary solution for monitoring/when the pa can't take it.

I have to admit the L3 series look perfect - apart from the weight and size! I wonder if the L2 will do the same job - I'm a 4 not 5 stringer so suspect the bass response would do the job on the L2? They certainly seem more manageable.

My worry with a combo would be having to tweak the Helix patches and it not being the same as is required for FOH.... eugh.

Maybe I should try an L2 and see if it gets close?

My worry with a combo would be having to tweak the Helix patches and it not being the same as is required for FOH.... eugh.
    Ah! Gotcha.

I could hook up the GB to my Helix and see how it compares to the Presonus Eris e8s I normally use if that'd help?
    edited February 2017
    Would be a big help chap, thanks!

My plan is to get a set of patches set up and then not bugger about with them too much - more playing less fiddling ;)

In the meantime I might try to find a shop where I can eyeball these Line6 L2 and L3 jobs and see how heavy/loud they are..
    It's also quite plausible that I'm just a clumsy weakling and you find the L3 a positive joy to carry...
    Sporky said:
    It's also quite plausible that I'm just a clumsy weakling and you find the L3 a positive joy to carry...
    Methinks you overestimate my muscular prowess ;)
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    If you do get an L3 get the line 6 case
    it at least has wheels
    in my experience (I have both hat I use for PA) the L2 won't give you the depth of bass you are looking for
    I have 3 configurations for that PA
    1. 2 X L2s and a sub
    2. 2 X L3s no sub
    3. 2 X L3s and a sub
    at no point do I think the L2s can cope with the bass and the BD without a sub
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cabicular said:
    If you do get an L3 get the line 6 case
    it at least has wheels
    in my experience (I have both hat I use for PA) the L2 won't give you the depth of bass you are looking for
    I have 3 configurations for that PA
    1. 2 X L2s and a sub
    2. 2 X L3s no sub
    3. 2 X L3s and a sub
    at no point do I think the L2s can cope with the bass and the BD without a sub
    That's great info - thanks

Thing is, the weight of the L3 isn't that different to a non-lightweight decent bass cab, and I can use the L3 to feed a monitor from the PA in and mix that in as well...
    As an addendum to this - had a look at a L3M in the flesh today - it's not unmanageably big and heavy - but it is reasonably heavy. 

Before I pull the trigger, does anyone have any alternate frfr choices I should look at before purchasing?