Fold-able wheels or something for a very heavy combo amp ... Advice?

What's Hot
So ... I just bought a Boogie Mark I amp (with the EV speaker). It's approximately the weight of a baby elephant. I genuinely struggle to carry it more than 50 foot without a break. Need to work on my cardio. Anyway.

Does anyone have experience with foldable wheels/dolly (dunno what you call it) for something like this? It needs to be pretty robust, as it weighs an absolute tonne.

I want something I can fold up, but also get it to and from the car etc. at either end.

Any ideas/experience?

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    I used one of these for the Mk V Combo and it was pretty good

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-Folding-Truck-90kg-Capacity/dp/B00ZL1T5I6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486139439&sr=8-3&keywords=einhell+folding+truck

get yourself some small luggage straps to secure it.  Downside is that the base plate is slightly slanted - I think some of teh other options are fully flat.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    Get a skateboard.

For the amp… :)

Seriously - a friend of mine used to do this with a massive bass cabinet. It was dead easy to roll along on the board.

If that sounds too weird - and to be fair, the small wheels aren't ideal on anything other than a smooth surface - then just search on Amazon for a folding sack trolley. The weight rating doesn't have to be too big - the MkI probably 'only' weighs about 40Kg.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Sounds like a reason to resurect the "heaviest combo" thread!

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/32519/so-what-actually-is-the-heaviest-combo#latest
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    You just need some of this

Image result for tinned spinach
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Interesting to read that again. Since that thread I have sold the impossibly heavy Peavey bass combo to the owner of the practice studio where it lives, along with my other old (lighter) Peavey bass combo, and the Mesa Trem-o-verb is in the shop… I'm getting old.

My bass rig is now an Ampeg Micro VR and a lightweight 1x15" cab, and if I ever play electric guitar in a band again my Peavey Special will be enough, at around 60lb.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited February 2017
    I have a sack truck...think I paid about 20 squids for it. I don't use it that often unless I know it's a long hike from venue car park to stage. But I'm big and stronglol

• prh777 said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-Folding-Truck-90kg-Capacity/dp/B00ZL1T5I6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1486139439&sr=8-3&keywords=einhell+folding+truck

get yourself some small luggage straps to secure it.  Downside is that the base plate is slightly slanted - I think some of teh other options are fully flat.
    Wow ... that's not cheap :)

i was thinking more of the £30 one ... (that one is £160). Any reason not to get a cheap one? I'm assuming if it's rated for double what I need it for it's probably okay? Saying that ... why would I assume something so cheap would have a rating that meant anything ...

• siraxeman said:
    I have a sack trolley...think I paid about 20 squids for it. I don't use it that often unless I know it's a long hike from venue car park to stage. But I'm big and strong:lol:
    I have the big bit sorted, not so much the "strong" ...
  • If you're not desperate, keep your eye on Aldi's special offers. They've had  fairly robust folding hand carts a few times. Here's an example:
    https://www.aldi.co.uk/folding-trolley/p/070263027152200
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Yes, I bought one of those ebay folding sack truck types - worked well for moving a twin reverb about.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    Why not just get a live-in flightcase, like this?...

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    prh777 said:

Wow ... that's not cheap :)

i was thinking more of the £30 one ... (that one is £160). Any reason not to get a cheap one? I'm assuming if it's rated for double what I need it for it's probably okay? Saying that ... why would I assume something so cheap would have a rating that meant anything ...

Ah. It was 30 quid when I got it!  Guess that's an Amazon pricing anomaly.....
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited February 2017
    Gadget said:

boot space and imagine hauling one of those in and out of the boot (if your boot is big enough) when the lids on...at least with an already heavy combo inside. Thick padded case ala Hot covers or similar and a sack truck...cheaper and does a better job IMO.
  • siraxeman said:
    Gadget said:

boot space and imagine hauling one of those in and out of the boot (if your boot is big enough) when the lids on...at least with an already heavy combo inside. Thick padded case ala Hot covers or similar and a sack truck...cheaper and does a better job IMO.
    I did have a mark V with a hard case ... just too heavy :/

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    siraxeman said:
    Gadget said:

I did have a mark V with a hard case ... just too heavy :/

I used to have a Mesa recto 412 in a flightcase. Not a top hat case like that one, a proper live-in case, where it's just the front door that comes off. It was heavier than a Range Rover.
  • Gadget said:

Plus, you get the best amp stand available thrown in.
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    StuartMac290 said:   Plus, you get the best amp stand available thrown in.
    Indeed. Great floor-decoupling.

I've just ordered one for my combo from Castle Cases, so I can just wheel it into place, pop the top off and play.

But yeah, if you've got to lift it and don't have any roadie help, it's not the lightest option.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I don't understand why you don't do what everyone else does: get your butler to move it.
    Gadget said:

Plus, you get the best amp stand available thrown in.
    Unfortunately the *best* amp stand is the other part of the case, so you still have to lift the amp out of the bottom tray and onto it. Which if the amp weighs as much as a MkI - and has no side handles - is still quite a lift.