Guitar with a narrow neck?

What's Hot
A friend of mine* wanted advice on what acoustic guitar to get. He's been put off by playing really uncomfortable acoustics with high action, so is looking for a model that's perhaps got a narrower and/shorter neck that will feel nicer. Price range around £300.

Anybody got any advice?

* Sounds like I'm actually asking for myself but am too ashamed to admit it. Really though, it's genuinely for a friend.

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7735
    edited February 2017
    Yamahas all the way, narrower necks than 90% of acoustics out there. Chappells on Wardour st? in Soho is the distributor so they will have a decent range. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Taylor big baby
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Used Taylor GS Mini....
  • pjfpjf Frets: 330
    edited February 2017
    ^ good suggestions, possibly also a used Martin dreadnought jr
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    Thanks. Taylor seems to get a lot of votes. And why used? Better value for money, or better because they've been worn in?

Telecaster American Deluxe, Cornell Romany amp, without the talent to use them properly
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Yamahas all the way, narrower necks than 90% of acoustics out there. Chappells on Wardour st? in Soho is the distributor so they will have a decent range. 
    Yamaha acoustics are just so underrated. I'm tempted to get one again for songwriting duties. Superb necks on them. Not played a bad one.
  • Yamaha definitely, but the Taylor Big Baby is an excellent guitar. Had mine since 2003 and anyone who's played it wants to keep it. 

Playability ans sound are amazing for the price. Love the ebony board too.
  • Also, if I was buying a new acoustic, I'd also be factoring in a proper set up by a trusted tech
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    Does he mean narrower, or shallower? They aren't the same thing at all. Taylors generally have shallow necks, but normal width - Yamahas generally have narrower necks but normal depth. These feel different and affect the playability in different ways.

Also, a good set-up - especially the nut height, which is the most commonly overlooked part - can make more difference to the action and ease of playing than the neck profile, assuming it isn't one that just doesn't fit your hand.

The reason to go second hand is that it gets you roughly a £500 guitar for £300, and there's quite a big step up in terms of quality between those price points.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ijontyijonty Frets: 32
    ICBM said:
    Does he mean narrower, or shallower? They aren't the same thing at all. Taylors generally have shallow necks, but normal width - Yamahas generally have narrower necks but normal depth. These feel different and affect the playability in different ways.

Also, a good set-up - especially the nut height, which is the most commonly overlooked part - can make more difference to the action and ease of playing than the neck profile, assuming it isn't one that just doesn't fit your hand.

The reason to go second hand is that it gets you roughly a £500 guitar for £300, and there's quite a big step up in terms of quality between those price points.
    Thanks, that's a useful point, will find out exactly what he's after.

• I'm not sure what model Yamaha everyone is referring to but I have 2 LL series Yamaha's and the nut width is 44mm and the necks I wouldn't call slim. In context the Martin D28 has a nut width of 43mm. 

I have heard that the Sigma necks are super slim and they are bang on budget for the standard series.

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    I had a Yamaha APX-7A several years ago.  Slim neck with electric guitar type action.  It was a really nice sounding and playing guitar marketed at people crossing over from electric to acoustic.  Not sure what the equivalent is now but a second hand one of these would be a good choice.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71963
    I'm not sure what model Yamaha everyone is referring to but I have 2 LL series Yamaha's and the nut width is 44mm and the necks I wouldn't call slim.
    Yes, I was thinking more of the FG, APX/CPX series which are 43 - and some of the older ones narrower, I think.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Blueridges have super shallow and quite narrow necks. 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    ICBM said:
    I'm not sure what model Yamaha everyone is referring to but I have 2 LL series Yamaha's and the nut width is 44mm and the necks I wouldn't call slim.
    Yes, I was thinking more of the FG, APX/CPX series which are 43 - and some of the older ones narrower, I think.
    Aye - CPX was definitely narrow when I tried one 
  • I'm not sure what model Yamaha everyone is referring to but I have 2 LL series Yamaha's and the nut width is 44mm and the necks I wouldn't call slim. In context the Martin D28 has a nut width of 43mm. 

I have heard that the Sigma necks are super slim and they are bang on budget for the standard series.

My Sigma doesn't have a slim neck, I have the 000M 1ST and the Neck on that is quite fat. Substantially fatter than my Les Paul which is a 60s Slim Taper
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    Not everyone's cup of tea, but Ovation / Applause generally have lovely necks. Electric guitar feel, very narrow at the nut. If you get a shallow bowl with cutaway they are incredibly accessible for an acoustic.

You can pick up a new Applause for under budget, or probably gets very good used Ovation around £300