Ruined for life - Lowden content

What's Hot

I have a couple of 'go to' guitars which have just been the ones I gravitate to and pick up the most.  The rest of the herd seem to come, get played a fair bit in the 'oooh, new shiny things' period, but then I always seem to go back to the main ones.  As such I have been through a fair number over the years.  These include such delights as multiple Gibsons, PRS, Ibanez, Jacksons and many Fenders from all ranges, Squiers through to Custom Shop and I'm not about to start debating the relative merits of any of these against each other.  In the acoustic camp I have owned Taylor, Martin, Gibson and also had a wonderful Atkin for a while.  Unfortunately I am not a rich man so usually something has to go to make room for the next visitor.  My long suffering wife is very tolerant of my problem and keeps telling me to enjoy it.  In her eyes it's kind of like an extended trial before commiting to keep something.  (I often wonder if I'm currently being judged in some kind of extended trial myself).

On a recent work visit to Belfast I stopped in the local music shop to while away a very rainy dinner hour.  The staff were very accommodating, helpful and chatty and let me try out anything I so desired - a couple of Custom Shop Fenders, a Martin or two and a couple of Taylors.  On the wall next to me were a number of Lowden acoustics.  I recalled to one of the guys in the shop that I had tried these a good few years ago, enjoyed the sounds, but usually found the necks to be on the wide size for me and some of the body shapes uncomfortably large for my short arse stature and stubby fingers.

At this he lifted off the wall and handed me a Wee Lowden, something that at first glance looked like the Lowden version of the Taylor GS Mini/Martin D Jr.

I gave it the traditional try out of a big old E chord followed by an even bigger G.

The sounds coming from this little thing were nothing like expected (I've found many of the smaller guitars have relatively smaller voices - I currently own 2 smaller Taylors (Big Baby and GS Mini which I love), but the Lowden had so much more.  It had the full Lowden tone, as big as any Martin OM/OOO, didn't have quite as much thump as a Martin Dread, but this thing is smaller than a OO.  All the tone, just in a mini package.  I played and looked over this one for about half an hour and can honestly say it's as good as anything I've ever owned and other friends guitars I've played costing much more.

The downside to this is the price - £3200 or thereabouts.

Here's the thing, on my flight home I was calculating how much I could sell all the 'visitor' guitars/fx for because if I had the money I'd have been travelling home with a new companion and this would have comfortably sat at home in the very small 'keeper' selection.

http://www.lowdenguitars.com/guitar-range-wee

http://www.acousticmagazine.com/reviews/the-story-of-the-wee-lowden/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Can you really justify the price?? Is it thousands of pounds better than the min GS?
  • The law of diminishing returns @Spikeedog .
    Is a Core line Paul Reed Smith thousands of pounds better than an SE?
    Fender Custom Shop v Mexican or even Squier?
    The discussion plays out daily on forum theads across the Web. 
    Everything has a price (£cost) and a value (what am I willing to pay £). Sometimes they match. If that happens and funds are available, then the fun starts. 
    Personally I've happily gigged Squiers and Epiphones. I've also gigged US Fenders, Gibsons and PRS. Been happy with them all as long as I'm playing and having fun. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Having played both the mini GS (which is a nice guitar) and the Wee Lowden I'd say yes, there are few grands worth of design, craftsmanship and tonewoods difference between the two.

Whether that justifies buying one is up to you. Depends what your muse is. I lived of beans for a couple of months on my early 20s to buy a Lowden - it was worth it for me!
  • @mellowsun and @CountryDave ..... I think I must be wired up differently to you guys. If I don't think a guitar is good value and good quality, I just cannot pay over the odds for it. I think 600/700 is enough to buy a really good guitar, acoustic or electric (new or second hand - doesn't worry me either way). But that might be just the way I was BRUNG UP ......also applies to clothes and cars and ....OK .... it's just me ... I'm mean!
  • @Spikeedog I'm no label snob by any means. I totally agree with you about value and quality and regularly gig a squier I paid £170 quid for in 1989, my main Telecaster is worth about £800 and my go to acoustic cost £450, second hand. I also play through a Blues Junior, having bought and sold a number of boutique amps, then realising that in the bigger scheme of things, no one but me gives a crap if the tone is hand wired/true bypass, etc.
    But as I said above, cost and value are two separate things. The cost of something can be determined by the price tag. The value will be different for each individual. 
    I've played guitars that cost thousands only to be left cold. Their value to me was nothing. I've also picked up 'lesser' priced items that have felt just right.
    In the case of the Lowden, the cost was £3200. When I played it I could honestly say that if funds were available, I'd have taken it. 
    This is from a man who can't remember the last guitar I bought new. Second hand is my default due to the massive depreciation you suffer.
    I also wear cheap, but comfy jeans as I too was brung up to respect money and seek a bargain. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @CountryDave I wasn't trying to dis your approach - I would just find it very hard to pay thousands for a guitar (unless of course it made me sound like a god despite my average ability). I am now so intrigued that i will actively seek out an opportunity to try one out. Anywhere in the UK stock them?
  • I'm totally with you, I love the low to mid priced stuff that shoots well above the price tag - (Taylor GS Mini, Yamaha LL/LJ, Alvarez acoustics, Fender Mexico, PRS SE/S2 all blow me away) but sometimes an instrument just speaks to you.  Was in London last year and played a few acoustics between £500 & £5000, wasn't in the market, just in town and like a strum.  Of all the stuff I played (Collings, Santa Cruz etc) a Martin 00-18 was the one I could have taken home.
    As for the Lowden, Looks like Guitar Guitar have some on their website, not sure which shops though.
  • As a Big Baby owner for over 10 yrs, I couldn't justify the price of the Lowden unless I was a musician earning a living from it. Sounds impressive though I darnt look for video reviews  ;)

Ive lusted after a J45 for years, also a D28 but electric is where my heart lies...there's only room for 1 acoustic ( and 1 classical obvs  B) ) in my house and the Big Baby won't be going.....

See I've just saved myself three grand  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @CountryDave I really fancy the Yammie LL. Tried it the other day lovely  but I'll see if I can get my hands on a Lowden before I jump