Does anybody make a Blackface voiced, 6L6 or similar amp with power scaling?

What's Hot
SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
..and if the answer is a 'no' as I suspect, then why not?

Failing that, something with a BF preamp into EL84s with scaling?
The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hywelghywelg Frets: 4302
    edited February 2017
    Not sure, but check out the Tone King range I think they do one.  

But to be fair I don't think you need PS on a Blackface. Most of what's nice is occurring in the pre-amp so a decent master volume would work. I used an attenuator with my EZG (AB763), and it worked well and Dr Z now do both the Z-lux and Cure both of which have master volumes.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    pretty sure most of the UK custom builders could do this, have you asked Chris at Rift Amps?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    I had power scaling fitted to my 65 DRRI because I like how the amp sounds with volume set at about 7, which made it too loud for some venues and certainly far too loud at home. I chose power scaling because my experience of early attenuators had not been good. I believe they have improved a lot ;) In any event I'm happy with power scaling. It works for me.

Of course MJW has been offering amps with power scaling for years, some of which are blackface voiced.
  • SunDevil said:
    ..and if the answer is a 'no' as I suspect, then why not?

Failing that, something with a BF preamp into EL84s with scaling?
    I used to have (my cousin has it now) an MJW Electra 30watter that did exactly this. 

However I agree - seems like an obvious gigging amp but doesn't seem to be much mainstream stuff that caters for it
  • SunDevilSunDevil Frets: 511
    Thanks Gents, sadly Martin has closed his books to new orders and I know Chris isn't too keen on scaling and how it affects the tone - shall keep my eyes peeled for an Electra
    The answer was never 42 - it's 1/137 (..ish)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

There is a Series One variant that uses 6L6 and they have power control of course.

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    I'll be happy to make something like this when I can walk again ;-) 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    TK Imperial.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Victory v40 has preamp and power amp volume controls - two voices, sort of correlated to blackface and tweed respectively.

So you can crank the preamp with the power amp down low. It's 40W & 15W but also bias to take it down to 7.5 and approx 1W. 
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2723
    SunDevil said:
    Thanks Gents, sadly Martin has closed his books to new orders and I know Chris isn't too keen on scaling and how it affects the tone - shall keep my eyes peeled for an Electra

You can retro fit power scaling in most amps.

I've had mixed results with it, although for some reason it seems to work better with cathode biased EL84 amps, eg the 18W circuit.

If you install it into a BF style-amp, I would scale the power amp, but not the pre-amp. This would then require some form of MV to prevent the power section being clattered at low power settings.

THE BF-style pre-amp doesn't really distort that much even with high output humbuckers, so most of the performance advantage with scaling in this type of amp will be allowing the power amp to distort at lower volumes.

• I'm having further power scaling fitted to my J20.l (already have the VAC),  I'm sure it won't help tonally in the end but it will drop the decibels which is what I wanted it to do. It won't be used for live work :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    Tone King Imperial / Carr Impala
  • Never used one, but didn't those little Egnater heads (the Tweaker or the Rebel) have power scaling and US/UK voice options?  Seem to recall they used 6V6s, but they might get you reasonable blackface-type sounds, 
    New fangled trading feedback link right here!
  • JeremiahJeremiah Frets: 629
    Never used one, but didn't those little Egnater heads (the Tweaker or the Rebel) have power scaling and US/UK voice options?  Seem to recall they used 6V6s, but they might get you reasonable blackface-type sounds, 
    AFAIK, The Rebel has power scaling and the ability to switch between the El84 and 6v6 power valves, while the Tweaker has UK and US modes but only 6v6 valves and no power scaling.
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2327
    I haven't tried any egnaters, but didn't the powerscaling only go down to one watt? that's not really enough to get really down to home volume levels (and not much use, at least for me).

Also the power valve type doesn't really tell you what the amp will sound like, either. They do affect the sound a bit (especially when cranked), but the preamp (and overall) design is far more important. At least in my experience.