Auralex Gramma v2 - Anybody Tried One?

What's Hot
MotorhateMotorhate Frets: 238
To me, this just looks like some gimmicky snake-oil type product:

http://www.auralex.com/product/gramma/

I'd imagine a set of casters would do exactly the same thing for an amp

Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    they are very good , but you can buy the same  foam  as  drum riser building blocks for less, and cut them to length,  
    I have some spare but you can order them from Studio spares

Castors would not do anything

The foam reduces vibrations getting into the floor, or if you use them between amps and cabs, it stops the heads rattling as much 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    i got one recently and think it is excellent, amp sounds a lot better ymmv
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7672

I used a V1 Gramma Pad for isolating my bass combo from boomy stages and it worked brilliantly.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • I've got 3, yes 3, with two under my two amps.

We live in a small two bed semi detached... they work superbly.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Auralex tend to put out good products, I've not tried these but they look good.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
     I have a floating floor in my music room, because of that the amps can sound very boomy. I too thought these were snake oil, but I was wrong they are awesome. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Wow, I'm glad to be proved wrong on my initial assumption. Not sure I could really warrant one though as I don't really tend to suffer from amp boom in my practice room.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    one of these for £12, cut in 2 does the same job:
    https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Sound-Insulation/Auralex-Platfoam_461330.htm

it  can make an amp sound clearer, even if you think there is  no boominess. Also can  reduce sound getting to other rooms a bit (through the floor)
  • The Auralex Gramma is £70 plus postage to buy new. Them foam strips do seem like a cheaper option it has to be said.

• one of these for £12, cut in 2 does the same job:
    https://www.studiospares.com/Studio-Gear/Sound-Insulation/Auralex-Platfoam_461330.htm

it  can make an amp sound clearer, even if you think there is  no boominess. Also can  reduce sound getting to other rooms a bit (through the floor)

As far as I know the Gramma is a 1 inch layer of Platfoam with an Ozite Covering. Ozite is what the carpet in your car is made from.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Wouldn't an amp stand like this one do the same thing of decoupling with the added benefit of pointing the amp to your head?

https://www.thomann.de/gb/schertler_s3_stand.htm
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ruoma said:
    Wouldn't an amp stand like this one do the same thing of decoupling with the added benefit of pointing the amp to your head?

It's never a benefit to have the amp pointing at your head! 
  • drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 911
    I had an interest in hi-fi back in the 80's and 90's and during that time, speaker stands began to be mounted on carpet piercing spikes. The idea was to increase the rigidity of the stand by getting wobbly carpet out of the equation and coupling the stand to either the wood or concrete floor underneath. 

Having spent a fair bit of time comparing stands, it was definitely beneficial as it tightened the bass and got rid of a lot of the smearing on transients thereby firming up the stereo image. I've often wondered how such a stand would work with a guitar cab but the practicalities of using one for gigs put me off trying. The possibility of impaling your hand on a spike and the possible grief from landlords who object to you punching holes in their floors, was a definite deterrent.

getting back to the OP, I use a Gramma under my combo in my home studio/man cave and it works really well.
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    timmysoft said:
    ruoma said:

It's never a benefit to have the amp pointing at your head! 
    It is if it gets you to turn the volume down instead of blaring it across your legs to some poor chaps ears in the audience because you can't hear it clearly enough. 
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9448
    edited February 2017
    one of these for £12, cut in 2 does the same job:

As far as I know the Gramma is a 1 inch layer of Platfoam with an Ozite Covering. Ozite is what the carpet in your car is made from.
    It actually would be pretty easy to make one of these I guess...

They do work very well, imho, but the materials could be bought pretty cheaply Id imagine.