Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

All digital modelling awful? Just me?

What's Hot

Comments

• I went to a gig the other day and the guitarist was going through a fender deluxe reverb. 

Sounded horrible. He was using an overdrive (didn't see what it was but it was very smooth and muddy - maybe a zendrive or modded tubescreamer) and reverb/delay, but the sound in the room was awful - clean too bright and hard, dirty super smooth and dull. Used a Les Paul.

Band before had one of those vox av amps - the newest ones that use analogue modelling or something. Didn't sound any worse.

I concluded the venue sounded shit. so all of this talk of valves Vs modelling can be completely overriden by other factors. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 12reaction image Wisdom
  • Invariable, Great tones sound shit in a mix - and shit tones sound great in a mix.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • What if you mix great tones and shit tones in a mix?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8590
    Pigs ear and silk purse
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    It is possible to get a good sound and a bad sound from just about any bit of kit out there....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
    It is possible to get a good sound and a bad sound from just about any bit of kit out there....
    I have a Digitech Weapon pedal for sale, if you fancy it.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    Rocker said:
    Broadly I'd concur but its harder to get a good sound with certain pieces of gear than others, and conversely with some gear you have to work harder to make it sound bad.  The other thing of course is that 'good and bad' tones are largely subjective - which is why we all tend to like different gear.  A simple example are distortion pedals of which there are probably more variants offered than any other type of effect - and where one persons 'yuk' is another's 'Nirvana'.  A case in point - I positively hated the distortions/overdrive from the TC Nova system - others love its distortions.  We all hear/like different things.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2017
    ... Is a marmite subject, but there is something organic in the feel/presence of the combination of tube amp heat/wood/paper and excited electrons that you don't get from a bunch of 1's and 0's
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    ... Is a marmite subject, but there is something organic in the feel/presence of the combination of tube amp heat/wood/paper and excited electrons that you don't get from a bunch of 1's and 0's

Having moved from the former to the latter I would say there's no truth in that statement at all.  Love my 0's and 1's :)
  • 57Deluxe said:
    Sound waves are sound waves dude. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • But if a tree falls on a valve amp in a forest and nobody is there to hear it, does is sound better than a Helix?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    But if a tree falls on a valve amp in a forest and nobody is there to hear it, does is sound better than a Helix?
    Obviously depends on what kind of tree
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    But if a tree falls on a valve amp in a forest and nobody is there to hear it, does is sound better than a Helix?
    Obviously depends on what kind of tree
    Not the fucking tonewood debate.......again!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I can't stand anything Line6. They are consistently crap.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Motorhate said:
    I can't stand anything Line6. They are consistently crap.
    Suppose we are all entitled to an opinion
  • Motorhate said:
    Original Pod, Wireless units and helix at least say you are wrong.
  • Original Pod, Wireless units and helix at least say you are wrong.
    Well it's just my opinion, and in my opinion they're crap. I had an original Pod and never got on with it. It just sounded really bad as far as overdrive and distortion was concerned. Even Zoom managed to produce a better multi-effects than the Pod IMO. I was in a band with a guitarist who swore by Helix and how great it was but to me, it always sounded poor when compared other multi-effects units. I've also tried the Line6 Vetta and Spider amps too and they really are bad with complcated set ups and just poor tone.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Motorhate said:
    Try the Echo Pro and Mod pro. Two of the best.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    Gassage said:
    Motorhate said:
    Yep.

Though I have to admit I never thought the Pod was very good - and I went into the sessions it was used in excited to hear one in action.
  • Cirrus said:
    Gassage said:
    Motorhate said:
    Yep.

Though I have to admit I never thought the Pod was very good - and I went into the sessions it was used in excited to hear one in action.
    I made a whole album where we redid all the guitars using a POD as it sounded better than the amp the studio had ( a Marshall 30th) - sounded ace.

Motorhate said:
    Original Pod, Wireless units and helix at least say you are wrong.
    Well it's just my opinion, and in my opinion they're crap. I had an original Pod and never got on with it. It just sounded really bad as far as overdrive and distortion was concerned. Even Zoom managed to produce a better multi-effects than the Pod IMO. I was in a band with a guitarist who swore by Helix and how great it was but to me, it always sounded poor when compared other multi-effects units. I've also tried the Line6 Vetta and Spider amps too and they really are bad with complcated set ups and just poor tone.

The Helix is hands down the best thing I have ever purchased and I've been through a lot of gear. Sure it's got some weak points but what m/fx hasn't. It's a long way from crap. Maybe your mate just wasn't very good at dialing it in?

Sure if that's your opinion then so be it, but I don't think it's fair. L6 have pushed boundaries constantly.