King of Tone, is it that good?

What's Hot

Comments

• kjdowd said:
    4 jack. Hi gain red side. 
    Cool. Just how I'd like it. Quite the idea of a second power out but could live without that I guess lol
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Just got my blue one through on Friday. 4 jack, hi gain red. I've had the KOT around 4 times, just as I was looking for another my name came up for one. I'll be keeping this one. 

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p437/Kylefarrell/My Pedals and Amps/DF9A6968-AED9-4946-BB43-A5CB33A9D7F2_zpsggjwyjrv.jpg
  • Kylef said:
    Just got my blue one through on Friday. 4 jack, hi gain red. I've had the KOT around 4 times, just as I was looking for another my name came up for one. I'll be keeping this one. 

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p437/Kylefarrell/My Pedals and Amps/DF9A6968-AED9-4946-BB43-A5CB33A9D7F2_zpsggjwyjrv.jpg
    Those 4 jack versions are more popular than I thought . Probably due to how many people are buying into the looper thang I guess?
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    4 jack also gives you the ability to put the orange before the red side, which some people like.
  • octatonic said:
    4 jack also gives you the ability to put the orange before the red side, which some people like.
    I thought that was done with the internal DIP switches anyway?
    octatonic said:
    Which is more effort than switching around a cable.
    Also, if you have high gain red side then you can't get the orange side to the same level of gain as the high gain red side,
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    Isn't it just a really expensive way of buying two Marshall Bluesbreakers?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30893
    It is a very transparent pedal. But it also can be a bit weedy because of that. I prefer the orange side as it happens.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Kylef said:

Those 4 jack versions are more popular than I thought . Probably due to how many people are buying into the looper thang I guess?

I'm using a G2 at the moment, so the 4 jack is handy to have at the moment. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7414
    ICBM said:
    Isn't it just a really expensive way of buying two Marshall Bluesbreakers?
    Pretty much. But they're cool. 

Actually how different are the MkII BB pedals than the originals? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7414
    From the Analogman site (fwiw)

"A good friend of ours suggested the old Marshall Blues breaker pedal might work for Jim, so we found one on ebay and I had it sent to Jim who said it was pretty good. So I got another one on ebay and modified it quickly with some improved parts for a baseline test. I brought it up to Woodstock and Jim's sounded better, I was surprised! Then I opened Jim's up and saw that it was already modified heavily!! I thought he was playing a joke on me, but he just laughed, someone sold it on eBay like that. I tried those mods but didn't like them much, so we totally redid the circuit with different diodes, chips, capacitors, treble boost, modes- pretty much everything was changed. And of course the KOT is two pedal circuits in one box. So our KOT pedal is not much like, and does not sound much like a BB pedal anymore. Especially the clean or distortion modes are different, and the higher gain option changes it even more, making it more useful throughout the DRIVE knob range. We used the higher gain KOT circuit as the base for the Prince Of Tone which came out in 2012, and improved the DISTORTION mode also on the POT."
    Red ones are better. 
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:
    Also, if you have high gain red side then you can't get the orange side to the same level of gain as the high gain red side,

Im currently weighing up whether to go with 2 prince of tones over my KOT. You get ultimate flexibility that way with both the OD switches outside, and both "high gain".
  • Actually I am on the list (well it's free to do so) and my spec would be 4 jacks, second power out, High gain on the red side and the mode switch externalised. That's at the moment but I'm sure it'll change over the year or so left til I get contacted to pay ;)
    BBBlues said:
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

Im currently weighing up whether to go with 2 prince of tones over my KOT. You get ultimate flexibility that way with both the OD switches outside, and both "high gain".
    Personally, I think high gain red side gives you the most flexibility- do you really need two high gain circuits?
  • riscadoriscado Frets: 180
    edited February 2017
    In my opinion it isn't a "transparent" pedal at all, it is a pedal that does it's own thing, which I really like. If it was "transparent" I probably wouldn't like it and wouldn't have bought it. It does add it's own sound to the amp, which is a bit of a sweet gnarling compressed and distorted sound, and is dynamic and adds to the existing sound of the amp rather then masking it.
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676

I HAZ ONE
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1676
    But realz ones have unicorn diodes or whatever.
  • John_P said:
    rsvmark said:
    I will let you know in about 3 months. 

John_P said:
    I'm going to order another one over the weekend.   
    I notice they now offer black, blue and white ones as well as the standard purple.    Tempted to get a black one this time, a shame they didn't offer the gold one again though.  
    @john_p couldn't see any images on the analogman website. How did you find out?
    The option only comes up in the order page.
    It doesn't say if it's a limited edition or if that's now a standard option.  I'm torn between black and white. 

http://www.analogman.com/graphics/kotcolors2016b.jpg

I'd go for white personally ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2750
    John_P said:
    rsvmark said:
    I will let you know in about 3 months. 

John_P said:
    I'm going to order another one over the weekend.   
    I notice they now offer black, blue and white ones as well as the standard purple.    Tempted to get a black one this time, a shame they didn't offer the gold one again though.  
    @john_p couldn't see any images on the analogman website. How did you find out?
    The option only comes up in the order page.
    It doesn't say if it's a limited edition or if that's now a standard option.  I'm torn between black and white. 

http://www.analogman.com/graphics/kotcolors2016b.jpg

I'd go for white personally ;)
    Every time I look I change my mind but I like the purple as well.   A shame it won't let you order three so i could keep the one I like best lol
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9530
    edited February 2017
    riscado said:
    In my opinion it isn't a "transparent" pedal at all, it is a pedal that does it's own thing, which I really like. If it was "transparent" I probably wouldn't like it and wouldn't have bought it. It does add it's own sound to the amp, which is a bit of a sweet gnarling compressed and distorted sound, and is dynamic and adds to the existing sound of the amp rather then masking it.
    I must say I have found my to be completely transparent... 

@john_p ; man, that white one is lush !!