Helix v HD500 (fx only)

What's Hot
so I'm thinking about ditching all my pedals and spending a grand+ on either a Helix or FX8. Just hit thinking about why I don't just spend £200 on my band mates HD500 and use it in 4 cable method. Are the other two units that much better when all you are using us the fx? I know the Helix interface is something a bit special bad the FX8 is optimised for 4 CM.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    In short yes
    the HD500 seems to colour the sound with a high frequency kind of klang plus the interface is dreadful IMO
    FX8 is a good move if you are married to your amp but the Helix will give you other options too like direct to desk routing and recording
  • The HD500 is  an absolute faff to use in 4CM. The effects loops is really noisy and drops the level too much. And the whole signal chain is a nightmare to use for 4CM. It's doable - but you have to waste effects blocks on EQ blocks to to get the gain back lost by the FX loop.

• The Boss GT series might be a better bet for 4CM and about the same price as the HD500.
  • The 4CM is a piece of piss with the FX8. 

No setting levels needed either; automatically goes to unity volume somehow.
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1655
    edited February 2017
    HD500X sans amp works fine for me.. FRFR type approach...

I couldn't warrant a pedal FOH that costs over a grand.. it would get damaged...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• I couldn't warrant a pedal FOH that costs over a grand.. it would get damaged...
    Surprising how many people say this, yet are unaware of the fact that the pedalboard they happily keep at the front cost that much anyway.

I recently discovered that my very small board (just six pedals) actually has a replacement value of over £900.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • The 4CM is a piece of piss with the FX8. 

No setting levels needed either; automatically goes to unity volume somehow.
    Sell me yours, stock keeping all the fun for yourself ;-)

• I couldn't warrant a pedal FOH that costs over a grand.. it would get damaged...
    Surprising how many people say this, yet are unaware of the fact that the pedalboard they happily keep at the front cost that much anyway.

I recently discovered that my very small board (just six pedals) actually has a replacement value of over £900.
    My board would be, I think, around £700 to replace the board, pedals, power supply, cables and it doesn't even really do much. Because it was bought in bits ( the most expensive single bit probably £130)I guess the psychology of it is I don't look at it as such an expensive item. 

However, some assumption that individual pedals are generally more durable than things with screens ( maybe not correctly...?) and given a small accident ( as opposed to having it stolen or dropped in a lake) or normal wear and tear not everything would need replacing at once which would seem ( again, assumption) to be the case with something like a Helix. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ^^^ this.....  all your eggs in a very expensive basket...    my used HD500X was a fraction of the cost...
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• I was wondering about the HD500X recently...using the front row of buttons to control the channels of my amp (the provided stageboard is a midi controller, so I assume the POD can be set up to do this) and the back row to switch effects in and out...could be a neat solution.
  • So, I failed to resist temptation to pick up a new toy and bought a HD500X on ebay last night. I know it's not the quality of the Helix or Fractal but I just can't be spending that kind of money on this. Initial plan is to set it up as a midi controller for the Switchblade but not use the switchblade effects (which are fine but pretty limited), instead getting all the stompbox stuff from the Pod.

I'll probably have a play with the amp modelling via the fx return of the amp too, just to see how it sounds.

The only other pedal I have to have is the morpheus droptune...we do one song that needs to be in drop D and down a step...which is too floppy for the strings! Unless the pod does drop tuning...don't think it does though.

Oh well...should be fun.

I really need to sell some gear. My cupboard is filling with amps and pedals and Mrs Addict is bound to notice sooner or later.  =)
  • The HD500 is  an absolute faff to use in 4CM. The effects loops is really noisy and drops the level too much. And the whole signal chain is a nightmare to use for 4CM. It's doable - but you have to waste effects blocks on EQ blocks to to get the gain back lost by the FX loop.
    Hmm...I had a Pod X3 at one point...I do remember that being a pain for 4CM, although I think that was more due to the fact you had to be quite careful about the levels of each patch to avoid unexpectedly blowing your ears out by switching to a patch you'd never used before. I don't remember the FX loop being particularly awful but then I was using a DSL50 at the time so any badness may have been masked by the inherent badness of the DSL FX loop. Which was quite sucky.