Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lazy J20 hype ...

What's Hot

Comments

• garfygarfy Frets: 144
    I just know one thing....ITS A FANTASTIC AMP FOR ME. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1596
    Lebarque said:
    ^ Heathen ;0)
    Lol. Seriously - I thought that sounded awful. Not just poor - I mean really, really bad....
    Just got round to listening to that clip and I agree totally with @richardhomer ;

Not my type of sound at all.
  • I imagine that clone might sound better if you pulled the amp out from that corner and didn't mic it quite so closely.

But that is a thin tone for that pick up position. It must be an ice pick on the bridge pickup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30880
    wellsyboy said:
    The new price for a Victoria 20112 is £2300, no VAC, no reverb, no trem, no Blue, and not as powerful/loud as a Lazy J20. You don't tend to see threads on here about the Vicky hype, what a ripoff they are, so much money for such a simple circuit etc. Yep they're from the States but even so. 

Ditto the Carr Rambler which is also £2300, but they're a larger scale business which probably helps them to keep prices down a bit. 

Jus sayin...
    Have you looked inside a Carr amp? Proper point to point wiring (unless things have changed) that's a lot of work!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjko63qeb79r0hb/DSC01962.JPG?raw=1
    My word. Not sure if I like that or not. Admire the skill in doing PTP, but that looks like a nightmare to repair. Also, that's the most hot-melt glue I've seen in one place at once ...

What a mess. THis is what you call PTP

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Gassage said:
    What a mess. THis is what you call PTP

Nope, that's tagboard construction.

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • My word. Not sure if I like that or not. Admire the skill in doing PTP, but that looks like a nightmare to repair. Also, that's the most hot-melt glue I've seen in one place at once ...
    It's not as bad as it looks, esp. if you have a layout and/or schematic or even know the topology. :)

R.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    Also, that's the most hot-melt glue I've seen in one place at once ...
    Or a really bad sneeze..

Why use glop instead of cable ties? Is there a good reason..? Bridging an air gap between say two caps against vibes is one, but looks lika a lot of just clipping wires etc.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    On a general point, and not just with guitar gear, I'm always wary of the reductive 'it's just..' assessment of any product. Any guitar 'is just..' a few bits of wood put together in a well known way with some fairly standard electronics. Most amps 'are just..' one of a few well known circuit variants, sometimes with some mods and sometimes without. Anything can be reduced to a reductive view of component parts and made to sound worthless (I even once had a guy at work inveighing against buying a finance system as it was just code and he could probably do it!).

what this misses is that the parts can be put together more or less thoughtfully, with more or less skill. The components (and mods) can be more or less well selected and all this adds up. 

You can describe the lazy j amps as "just a 5e3 circuit with some mods", but you can equally well describe as "a 5e3 circuit with some well thought out/selected mods, and built in the UK using premium components and with a great track record". 

It's easy to be reductive, but sometimes it misses what makes a product great. Anyway, going to jump on the car (just a few bits of sheet metal, wheels and an engine) and go home (just bricks and mortar, just  like all the other houses..)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    My word. Not sure if I like that or not. Admire the skill in doing PTP, but that looks like a nightmare to repair. Also, that's the most hot-melt glue I've seen in one place at once ...
    It's not as bad as it looks, esp. if you have a layout and/or schematic or even know the topology. :)

R.
    I'm sure it sounds fine, but I'd honestly much prefer the inside of an amp to look like the Hiwatt. I'm not convinced there would be any sonic benefit to the PTP layout of the Carr. 
  • Man, 

I do so hope Steve Carr is reading these threads, to benefit from all the collective wisdom here...

He may sell a few more amps ;)
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Man, 

I do so hope Steve Carr is reading these threads, to benefit from all the collective wisdom here...

He may sell a few more amps ;)
    I imagine it's a fantastic amp and sounds top notch. Mr. Carr obviously knows his stuff and I wouldn't presume to tell him how to wire his amps. I was just expressing an opinion that personally I would prefer the nice, neat Hiwatt style methodical layout.

I couldn't possibly afford either, so the point is moot anyway :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm sure it sounds fine, but I'd honestly much prefer the inside of an amp to look like the Hiwatt. I'm not convinced there would be any sonic benefit to the PTP layout of the Carr. 
    So would I :)

R.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've had several Carr's Hammerhead Rambler Slant 6v Mercury - all beautifully built and sound fantastic - I think y all time favourite was the mercury - wish I hadnt sold that - like the look of the new Merc V but that's for another thread!
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    This is the cleanest point to point wiring you'll find. End of discussion. ;-)

http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • very nice
  • kjdowd said:
    On a general point, and not just with guitar gear, I'm always wary of the reductive 'it's just..' assessment of any product. Any guitar 'is just..' a few bits of wood put together in a well known way with some fairly standard electronics. Most amps 'are just..' one of a few well known circuit variants, sometimes with some mods and sometimes without. Anything can be reduced to a reductive view of component parts and made to sound worthless (I even once had a guy at work inveighing against buying a finance system as it was just code and he could probably do it!).

what this misses is that the parts can be put together more or less thoughtfully, with more or less skill. The components (and mods) can be more or less well selected and all this adds up. 

You can describe the lazy j amps as "just a 5e3 circuit with some mods", but you can equally well describe as "a 5e3 circuit with some well thought out/selected mods, and built in the UK using premium components and with a great track record". 

It's easy to be reductive, but sometimes it misses what makes a product great. Anyway, going to jump on the car (just a few bits of sheet metal, wheels and an engine) and go home (just bricks and mortar, just  like all the other houses..)
    Kev, wisdom awarded - great post mate.
  • CloudNineCloudNine Frets: 4256
    edited February 2017
    miserneil said:

Top Hat I would think? 

Edit. Just realised can see Club Royale on the label.

(Might be selling mine actually soon if anyone interested. Amazing amps, but downsizing and just placed and order for something very small. It's the best version of the Club Royale, 1x12, valve rectified, deep cab, pristine condition, all with nice vintage glass. PM if interested ).   ;)
    tFB Trader
    CloudNine said:
    miserneil said:

Top Hat I would think? 

Edit. Just realised can see Club Royale on the label.

(Might be selling mine actually soon if anyone interested. Amazing amps, but downsizing and just placed and order for something very small. It's the best version of the Club Royale, 1x12, valve rectified, deep cab, pristine condition, all with nice vintage glass. PM if interested ).   ;)
    Yup, one of Brian's masterpieces.

I really don't need another one....PM'd ;-) 
    (formerly miserneil)
    tFB Trader
    For comparison, here's a Matchless DC30:

But I think Carr still takes the Rats Nest Title...

(formerly miserneil)
  • kjdowd said:

Expertly put, fantastic post.