Preamp?

So, I have this very nice toned Yamaha with an active pickup of some kind somewhere. 
I have a big, awesome gig coming up and want it to sound the tits.

So - Do I need something like a Fishman Aura or Baggs Venue to make it fully kickass? Will they add anything to the sound?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72301
    Probably not, at a big gig with a proper PA and sound engineer. If the onboard preamp is decent the engineer will be able to make it sound good. They generally don't appreciate too much extra stuff on the signal if they can avoid it, it adds noise and allows the player too much control the ability to fiddle with it and mess it up :).

If you did want to use something to improve the sound, one of those boxes probably would (although personally I don't like the Aura at all, many people do), but you really need to know exactly how you want it set in advance and leave it like that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Nice one thanks - looks like I could save myself a few hundred quid there then!

• Agree with ICBM if you have a decent engineer and a decent rig then no need for an extra box. Tell the sound man what your guitar is and what you want it to sound like and  once you have the sound you want in the soundcheck ask the engineer for anything extra you want don't do it yourself ... you do need fresh batteries though!
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • nice one- this means I def have some cash free for other things :)